Recycled Jeans Hotmitts

My son is a career soldier and lives with only the basic necessities of life because the army moves him from one duty station to another. The only piece of furniture that he owns is a single bed and a small cardboard dresser. Early in his military career, he enjoyed going to auctions or thrift stores to furnace his apartment. But he soon realized that it was very impractical to buy furniture because he soon had to donate it all and move again.

We visited him during Thanksgiving and my husband and I slept on his living room floor in army sleeping bags. We ate a delicious Thanksgiving dinner at one of the dining facilities on post and we also went out to several restaurants and ate dinner. I used his microwave and noticed he didn't have any hot mitts. So I made him a man's set of hot mitts from an old pair of blue jeans.

By MCW from Lewiston, NY

Did you put fiberfill in the middle? I need to do something with those 30 pairs of old jeans I have stored on the floor of my sewing room!

We donate clothes & anything we don't need to people that had a fire. Don't have anything to wear & to Missions for somebody to use, good luck.

The jeans that I used for the hot mitts were very worn and I didn't think it would be right to donate them. I used Insul-Brite inside the hot mitts.

You're a good and thoughtful mom! I'll bet he keeps those forever! Please tell your son, "Thank you for your service!"

I love your idea, we all have an old pair of jeans or pants that would work, but I never thought of hot pads before, what a clever idea! Also please give your son a big thank you for his commitment and bravery and let him know that we appreciate what he is doing for our freedom.

I don't know why I never thought of jeans for hotpads. I'm hard on them (scorch because of absentmindedness). Thanks for the tip.

Woman wearing oven mitts.
Making Oven Mitts and Hot Pads
Crafts Recycled Crafts OtherDecember 7, 2009
Laptop bag made from several pairs of jeans with a crocheted handle.
Making a Laptop Bag from Jeans
Making a Jeans Apron
Stack of Jeans
Saving Money on Jeans
Recycled Jeans Flower Pot
Recycled Jeans Planters