Keep Track of What is in Storage

Before we moved out of the country we stored tons of stuff in basements and with friends. To keep track of it all, we just took digital photos of each box before we sealed it up and wrote numbers on the boxes. Then when you need your mom to send you some paperwork you thought you wouldn't need, you just scroll through the pictures and tell her right where it is. We even used some of the photos to advertise stuff online to sell on Craigslist once we were back in the states. The stuff that sold was the stuff we unpacked. Other items went straight to goodwill without us ever undoing the tape!

By Erica from Dallas, TX

how do you keep things from getting moldy ? we have furniture in a warehouse that has started getting mold on it

ie... a large dresser,head board etc...

To avoid mold, go to a trailer supply place or storage units sometimes have them, and get a product called "dryzair" (dries the air) and it usually comes in a package and you can get a container to hang it in, too. The crystals attract moisture and convert them to a watery substance so your items don't collect the moisture. If you have a large area, you might want to get several.

Another thing you can do is put some baking soda in pie tins inside the drawers. Good luck.

I did something similar. I had a 6 shelf white plastic unit that I put in bifold closet doors for shelves. I put yarns and craft supplies in office max paper boxes from work, covered with unused wallpaper so they would all match. Then, to avoid having to search for something, I took a digital shot of the entire thing, and printed it out. I marked each photo with "greens, blues, reds, etc" and now I never have to go through the boxes! Also, if you store a lot of little things like jewelry, old collectables, etc that can fit on your scanner, scan the photo and when you label them, name them "jewelry box 23" or whatever. You can usually get a lot on a scanner and take photos of several things at once.