Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Nicotine Stains From Wallpaper

How do you clean nicotine stains off walls? Both wallpaper and paneling?

By AnnaBelle64 from Dresden, TN

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Karen C.03/09/2014

The best degreaser I have ever used is made by a company called Pro Force. It is only sold in Sam's Clubs. If you go to the membership desk and ask for a sample pack with the degreaser in it, they should give you one for free. Worth a try.

By rmagee29 [2]05/28/2011

I saw someone use scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner on paneling and the nicotine ran off. I don't know about wallpaper.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Nicotine Stains From 30 Year Old Wallpaper and Linoleum

I have a problem. I have just moved in with my soon-to-be mother-in-law. She is a chain smoker. She has the same wallpaper and linoleum she had 30 yrs ago when the house was built. I would like to remove the nicotine as a favor. Any suggestions? - sittinritehere

RE: Removing Nicotine Stains From 30 Year Old Wallpaper and Linoleum

Wow-this house has got to reek! You won't be able to get the stains out of wallpaper without ruining it. On the floor, try strong mix of TSP and elbow grease. If all else fails, use oven cleaner. Spray on a small area. Leave on for 30 or so min., scrub off with soapy water and a brush. Wear gloves and a mask so you don't inhale the stuff. I did this once and it is hard work.

Do realize that you will now be exposing yourself to all the liabilities of second-hand smoke? (08/23/2004)

By Linda

My first suggestion: before beginning I'd discuss this with my soon-to-be spouse. If it seems like a good idea to him / her, I think someone (you or spouse) should run it by the Mom for approval. A lot of people become very offended when anyone else makes decisions on their behalf regardless of the good intentions involved. And who knows... your future M-I-L may have finally gotten these things the color she wants!

We old single / widowed /divorced folk are often quite set in our ways and are particularly likely to cop an attitude about such things. (08/25/2004)

By Alph

RE: Removing Nicotine Stains From 30 Year Old Wallpaper and

Go to your local professional cleaning store, they have products there for removing nicotine. I use one called black out and it takes off all sorts of nasty marks. wonderfulone (09/01/2004)

By wonderfulone

I used a product called Awesome I bought for a dollar at The Dollar Tree Store. It is yellow in a clear spray bottle. It works. I used it full strength on wood work, painted walls and wall paper walls. It removed horrible nicotine on all my walls that was caked on and saturated. I was careful not to let it drip on the wall paper because it will run and cause water marks.I also did not rub back and forth on the wall paper because it will take off the paper. I quickly dabbed and pressed the paper with a clean cloth after I sprayed a fine mist onto the paper. I sometimes saturated a cloth with the full strength Awesome and pressed the cloth onto the paper and then used a separate cloth to dab and press the paper to absorb the yellow and brown nicotine stains. This product does not have harmful smelly fumes. It has many uses and it can be used full strength for tough problems and diluted for others.Eventually I would like to paint my walls but at least for now everything looks clean. I love it. (09/15/2005)

By snoopsnoop94

Mr. Clean magic erasers and mean green (08/24/2006)

By

Lots of good ideas, we clean up houses for a living and have done some cat houses and of course the " smoking houses" one lady had a popcorn ceiling and no lie it was chocolate brown, she had smoked there for 50 years. We clean ceilings and walls professionally and floors too. To get rid of the smell you can rent an ozone generator then for the walls and floors we use clean-n-brite you mix it with water and it makes a hell of a lot of cleaner..spray it on and the nicotine just disappears and it removes the smell too. My customers think that it is a magic trick. buy from the website www.cleanbrite.com Jeff (02/24/2007)

By Jeff

Archive: Removing Nicotine Stains From Old Wallpaper and Linoleum

How do you clean wallpaper that has nicotine stains?

Sue from Blackstock, SC

RE: Removing Nicotine Stains From Old Wallpaper and Linoleum

If the lady has been chain smoking for 30 years that stink must also be in the carpets, drapes, and upholstery too. Sue, the smell of cigarette smoke never comes out of fabric and that will include your clothing. Please consider moving before this woman ruins your health as well as your wardrobe. Don't mean to preach but I come from a long line of chain smokers and I've seen what second hand smoke can do. Good luck. (08/11/2007)

By perfumed fan

I had good success on walls and vinyl wallpaper with oxyclean in warm water and a scotchbrite sponge (08/12/2007)

By QueenBeeCrafts

Archive: Removing Nicotine Stains From Wallpaper

Can nicotine be safely removed from wallpaper? Also, how do you remove it safely from paint, etc.

I need to clean cigarette smoke off wallpaper without tearing it up.

By Pam from Tateville, KY

RE: Removing Nicotine Stains From Wallpaper

Try wiping or even mopping it down with a mixture of warm water and 1/2 c white vinegar, you could even add a little bit of dish soap (just a drop or two) in a bucket and wipe. Use a sponge mop to get close to the ceiling. I've used this on painted walls as well. You really don't need a lot of the vinegar as it does a great job. Change the water often. (07/05/2010)

By dvg