Gift Ideas for Son's High School Graduation

I need help for a grad gift for my son who is graduating from high school and has everything. I would like to get him something a little personable in the $150-$200 range. He has the watch he wanted, not big into jewelery, and my mother got him the school ring. He's very much into computers, gaming, and paintball. I really would appreciate some ideas. Thanks.

By Jody from Chatham, ON

For any graduation I try to give the person something that will be a permanent keepsake. When my grandaughter graduated last spring I gave her her first pair of real gold earrings. They should last a lifetime, unless they get lost.

For our first daughter's high school graduation, we got her a hand-held GPS unit so that she could do geocaching. If you are not familiar with geocaching, you go to the geocaching website ( and get the geographic coordinates (plus hints, sometimes a puzzle, etc.) of a "cache" hidden by others who enjoy the sport. You then use your hand-held GPS to find the coordinates so you can locate the "treasure" (usually dollar store trinkets and the like) that you can trade. (If you take something, you always leave something of equal or greater value.) You don't have to trade. There is always a "log" to sign, and you also log your find online.

If you son likes puzzles, hiking or urban exploration, sometimes physical and mental challenge, he may enjoy geocaching. We met some of our best friends through geocaching.

A GPS unit may not last forever, but the sport and friends made will. Once you have the GPS unit, it is a very economical hobby, and there are kid-friendly caches for families.

My son is graduating high school this year also. I'm making him a "college survival manual". I am putting recipes, tips, etc. in it. I am also giving him all or most of the ingredients or materials needed. For example, whenever he got a cold, I would make rose hips tea, make him soak his feet in an Epsom salt bath, and give him extra calcium. I'm recording everything I did for him like that and putting it in a binder. I also plan on leaving cards at his graduation for people to write advice on. I'll put those in the binder also.

I would suggest a gift voucher then he can spend on him self.

I was going to suggest new games for his video gaming system, but I also like MarySescapades' college survival manual.

Other useful items for the new college student are rolls of quarters for the laundromat and vending machines, phone and grocery gift cards... gas gift cards if he drives, or bus passes if he doesn't. He might not want to keep a lot of cash around, but a pre-loaded credit/debit card in the amount you mentioned might work. Unless he prefers email, you also might consider stationery and stamps. You could put these kinds of things in his own laundry bag or basket, and maybe add quantities of single-load detergent... unless you already know he'll be bringing his laundry home to Mom, lol!

High School Graduation Gift Ideas
High School Graduation Gift Ideas
Holidays and Parties Gifts GraduationMay 5, 2010
8th Graders
8th Grade Graduation Party Ideas
High School Graduation Party Cupcake Centerpiece
High School Graduation Party Centerpiece Ideas
High School Graduation Party Cupcakes
High School Graduation Party Ideas
Graduation caps thrown in the air after the graduation ceremony.Saving Money on Graduation Announcements,
Saving Money on Graduation Announcements