Getting Rid of Pachysandra

Question:

How do you kill Pachysandra?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

Leenie From Fairfield, NH

Answer:

Leenie,

Two of the most effective ways to get rid of Pachysandra are to dig it out or solarize it. In order to get rid of it by digging it out, you'll need to remove all of the roots. This may take some time and persistence, but it shouldn't be that hard as the roots are fairly large and close to the surface. It's important to remove ALL of the roots. If even a small piece is left in the soil, it will re-establish itself by sending out new shoots. Another idea is to water the pachysandra and cover the entire area with black plastic. The sun and moisture in the soil will generate enough heat to effectively cook the pachysandra (and other vegetation) underneath the plastic. This isn't a quick fix, and you may need to leave the plastic on for several months to completely kill it. Pachysandra is a popular ground cover solution for shady areas and there always seems to be plenty of gardeners looking for it. If you have a lot to get rid of, you might try posting some flyers or placing a short ad in a local paper or online garden forum. You're certain to find plenty of takers.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Showing: Answers Sort

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

The best thing you could do is offer it to a neighbor/friend/gardener. It is very expensive to purchase and I hate to think you are going to KILL it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Bonnie 15 53 Flag

Oh my Gosh...some of mine died over the last winter and I was devastated!!!

I can't believe you want to get rid of it. I wish I knew what happened to mine...in the spring, patches of it showed up brown and slimy and left a bare spot and some I had transferred that fall, started good and then in the spring it was brown and slimy as well.

So , you can get rid of it at my house!!

LOL

But, seriously, why can't you just pull it up...which is how I got mine in the first place...from the library landscape which was being redone

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I agree....I love pachysandra as ground cover and a friend of mine just brought me a flat this past Friday to fill in my bald spots. If I were you, I'd try to find a space for it....or offer it to a friend. It's expensive if you have to buy it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I had my roof and siding redone and a 6x20 patch of pachysandra looks like it is dying. What should my next move be? Will it come back?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Home and Garden Gardening WeedsOctober 5, 2006
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
iTunes icon on a phone
Getting Rid of Duplicates in iTunes
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 9:42:15 AM on 10.0.2.70 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings