Ways To Save On The Electric Bill

I was absolutely shocked at my electric bill this month, so I sat down and made a list of things I will do to see if I can get it down, this list is now posted on the refrigerator, so I can see it every day. Maybe we can all save by doing these things. Turn off lights we are not using: this is a no-brainer and certainly one of the easiest measures of all. It is the key step to achieving a conservation mind-set. Just flipping a switch stops the waste of power.

Cut back on the lights we do use: I'm the worst when it comes to turning on all of the lights in the room. We will be opting for lamps and task lighting instead of general room lighting whenever possible.

Adjust the thermostat: an air conditioner uses a tremendous amount of electricity when it runs, as does electric heat. During the hot months, we are committed to setting it at 78 degrees F and at 68 degrees F during the winter and leaving it there. As a rule of thumb, every degree you lower a thermostat's set temperature will save 3 percent of energy costs over a 24-hour period.

Maintain the refrigerator and freezer: because these appliances are the biggest energy users in our home, we need to make sure they are running at maximum efficiency. I checked, and sure enough, both were set to the highest setting, which makes them run nearly all the time. I set them back to reasonable levels, and I will be defrosting our standalone freezer this weekend. It is way past due, and that, too, makes it use more power.

Use the oven and stovetop less: there are many times that the microwave, slow cooker and toaster oven will work just as well for our meal preparation as the standard oven and stovetop. The smaller appliances use a great deal less energy.

Turn computers off: it used to be that computers would wear out prematurely if they were turned on and off routinely. But technology has improved to the point at which it makes no difference in the computer's longevity. So the best advice is to turn it off when it's not in use to save energy.

Run only full loads: I have fallen into the habit of running less than full loads in the washing machine and the dishwasher. But no more! I'm sure by being careful to wait for a full load, we'll be running those appliances half as often in the coming month.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

May I suggest putting up a clothesline? Most clothes look fine when line dried. If you are looking at lots of snow this winter, put up a line in the house. You can hang them in the morning and they'll be dry by afternoon. Plus your interior air will be nice and moist, not dried out by the heater.

Not only turn computer off but unplug it too. Safer too I unplug washer/dryer , microwave also when not in use. seeing a difference in power bill

I ALSO HANG ALL MY SHIRTS ON HANGERS TO DRY. IT PUTS MOISTURE IN THE AIR,LEAVES A GOOD SCENT FROM THE FABRIC SOFTENER AND CUTS DOWN ON MY POWER BILL

I also want to add that when I am finished with making the coffee; I transfer it to an insulated carafe. I can then turn off the coffee maker.

These tips are all great. Thanks. We need all the help we can get.

Saving Money on Your Electric Bill, Money and Light Bulb on Top of Electric Bill
Saving Money on Your Electric Bill
Better Living Green Living Conservation ElectricitySeptember 25, 2006
White Low Flow Toilet
Saving Money on Your Sewer Bill
Electric Blanket
Finding Replacement Cords and Controls for an Electric Blanket
Insulating Your Home, Insulation Ready to Be Installed
Insulating Your Home
An upclose photo of a laptop keyboard.
Saving Money on Your Internet Bill
🎉
🎄