Slash Your Electric Bill in Half

Category Utilities
Utility bills can be very expensive, but there are some easy cost effective ways to reduce them. This is a guide about slash your electric bill in half.

In the past 6 months, I have cut our electric bill by half. Several years ago I replaced all our light bulbs with CFL bulbs. Now, with the newer LED bulbs I have been replacing the CFL bulbs. 4 years ago, our average electric bill was around $300 per month for an almost 4000 square foot home. Now, I have it down to $100 or less.

The best priced bulbs I have found so far are the LED stick bulbs sold by GE. I get a 2 pack at Dollar General for $8. I usually buy these on the Saturdays that the store puts out the $5 off a $25 purchase coupon and sometimes combine it with a GE coupon.

To cut your bill, start by turning off lights when not used. Start replacing your bulbs that are used most often first. You can either replace your old bulbs as they burn out with the LED, or as you buy them. If you chose to replace as they burn out, you may need to rearrange your bulbs so that you are replacing those used the most first.

For lights that your forget to turn off often, put them on a timer. I have put a timer on our porch lights and the closet lights. The timers are simple. They screw into the socket, then the bulb screws into the timer.

Read your bulb packages. Some brands offer a money back guarantee if the bulb burns out before a certain time. I date my package and fold it flat, with the receipt stapled to it. On it, I write where I put that bulb.

As you are replacing your bulbs, remember that your electric billing normally runs 1 month behind when you look for results. As your bill starts to come down, you can use the money your saving on your bill to purchase more bulbs.

Once you get them all replaced, look on to something else you can do to save; such as newer water saving shower heads or toilets, or replace an old energy hog appliance.

What can I do to get me electric bill down? Background info. I live in California in a 2500sq ft home. I do not use central heat or air, no window boxes, etc. My bill went from 150 to 400 with the only change of going from 3 people to 2 people.

The lights are rarely turned on. Only the stove and refrigerators (2) and a freezer are frequent or constant. Very little else have been left plugged in. I have had the meter tested (ready to go back to analog). I have even had a new breaker box put in, had an energy saver rep come to the house (bill should be under a 100) and had all plugs, etc. checked in my home. The electric company says it's an issue on my end. Any suggestion of what I can do to get the appropriate bill?

Note: I am also getting solar installed.

Answers

The two things that caused spikes in my bill were when we got a new TV and when I run the dehumidifier. You don't mention either of those items running in your place, so I am guessing that isn't your challenge.

I talked to a family member in California and she suggested you try to get an independent home inspector, possibly one with "WECA" certification to assess your house to see if someone is piggybacking on your line or what is happening.

I have their website attached. Maybe this can get you started on finding a solution.

www.goweca.com/

If you have not gotten any new electrical equipment, there may be an incorrect meter reading or a faulty meter. Call the electric company

I live in Southern California as reference 1600 sq ft home. We pay roughly $90-$110 monthly for electricity.

We use the regular tv, computer, toaster, oven, portable a/c, dryer, washing machine, etc.

Are you using electricity during peak hours? That's the only thing I can think of that can cause a spike.

I live in the dark with no ac or heat. Most small appliances are all unplugged. We are very conservative with our energy.

Thank you this was very helpful. I do have an electrician coming out this week. I will check into weca.

While I applaud you for your conservation, this doesn't really help them to find the solution. They need ideas on what to look for, as most people don't live as frugal as you might.

Let us know what you find! Everyone on this site likes to learn from each other!! Good luck!

so I just wanted to share a personal experience:

a few years ago I signed up for an electric bill regulation program where the company would average out my electricity usage over a 12 month period. This helped my accounting because it was easier toalways budget for say $92 a month than $80 one month, $112 another, and so on. The caveat was that if there was a chance in the utility company pricing structure, it would change my rate over the coming months, after the 12 month period expired.

Lo and behold, one day down the line, long after I'd forgotten about doing the deal, my next light bill is literally $250 more than the regular. No chance in usage. When I call them in they explained that since they were trying to fix the nuke plant down the way they were upping everyone's service charge and that this had happened months ago and since I'd been in the special deal I was not slated to see it till the expiry of the period

so I ask you, did you at any point sign up for a 'deal' like that, and are you seeing the spike as a result of the utility company's resetting their rates at all? It might be worth a look