To make this popular soup lower in saturated fat, prepare it ahead of time to cool and skim off the fat that rises to the top.
1. Place turkey breast in a large 6-quart pot. Cover with water, at least 3/4 full.
2. Peel onions, cut in large pieces, and add to pot. Wash celery stalks, slice, and add to pot also.
3. Simmer covered for about 2-1/2 hours.
4. Remove carcass from pot. Divide soup into smaller, shallower containers for quick cooling in the refrigerator.
5. After cooling, skim off fat.
6. While soup is cooling, remove remaining meat from turkey carcass. Cut into pieces.
7. Add turkey meat to skimmed soup along with herbs and spices.
8. Bring to a boil and add pastina. Continue cooking on low boil for about 20 minutes until pastina is done. Serve at once or refrigerate for later reheating.
Yield:About 4 quarts of soup (16 servings)--Serving Size: 1 cup
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 5 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 93 mg
Sodium: 217 mg
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!