Best Homemade Cleaner

I take a dollop of bleach and add it to an empty spray bottle. I then add a dollop of Dawn liquid detergent (this one seems to work the best because it's a grease cutter) Finally I fill the bottle with water.

Instead of spending several dollars a week on separate counter cleaners, I use this on all counter tops. Not only does it sanitize and cut grease, but when I use a dry cloth to wipe everything down I get a very high shine even on old counter tops (not for wood or stainless). This has worked very well for me.

Source: Saw tip on AOL Web News Site

By patioelf from Ewing, NJ

The back label of Dawn is pretty clear about warning not to use with bleach, and here's why: Dawn contains ammonia, and when ammonia comes into contact with bleach or other cleaners containing chlorine--chlorine gas occurs.

Don't be fooled by that nice, clean smell; you can do serious damage to your lungs, eyes, throat and nasal passages by mixing the two.

I am so sorry to rain on your parade but I was horrified by this tip and glad that Puppermom wrote what I was going to say! The chemical reaction causing this chlorine gas is the same gas that was used in World War I and killed or disabled thousands upon thousands of soldiers ( It was called Mustard Gas).

I've mentioned this so many times on different posts here and my heart sinks every time I see it suggested :-( There have been a couple of times that I was belittled for giving this information because 'nothing had ever happened to them, their mom, children, etc. so they were going to keep using it' but the damage is cumulative even if it's not immediate, there is no way to repair it :-(

Patioelf, please just use soap to clean and distilled white vinegar for disinfecting! And I also want to tell you to not give up sharing tips just because this one happened to be an unknowing boo boo, okay?

Use the Dawn with Bleach alternative, Since the bleach is so very diluted, along with the Dawn, this solution is far milder (yet effective) than the chemical offenders on supermarket shelves.

Sweetie, even mixing a very small amount of bleach with Dawn with Bleach Alternative is still doing the same thing, just in smaller dangerous doses :-( It's not worth the risk.

I can't say it better but I can reinforce what has been said. Do not mix Dawn and bleach. If you must bleach just use the bleach and water. Or choose a different detergent if you must have the soap too.

Also ( while we're on the chlorine gas subject);beyond the area of mixing home cleaners, also PLEASE be careful when storing pool chemicals and lawn fertilizers in your garage or shed.

Quite a few years back, I worked for a home improvement chain with a garden center. One of the new stock guys accidentally spilled pool chlorinator on a bag of lawn fertilizer ( containing urea= natural ammonia).

Long story short, he and another stockman ended up in the ER and the whole store had to be evacuated and closed for the rest of the day until OSHA declared it safe for employees and customers.

Again, bleach/chlorine and ammonia is nothing to mess with.

I reiterate: Do not mix any cleanser, liquid or dry, that contains an ammonia ingredient in it with chlorine bleach! And Dawn is only one of dozens of dish soap brands that contain an ammonia ingredient.

Puppermom, you bring up a great point about fertilizer too! Some even contain ingredients used in making home made bombs :-o The only reason the car bomb didn't go off last week in Times Square is because, thankfully, the guy had not used the right kind of fertilizer needed!

You have to be careful when mixing anything with bleach!

May 5, 2010 Flag

This is just the best homemade cleaner ever! For use on bench tops, stainless steel appliances, oven cleaning; in the bathroom for vanities, shower doors, tapware* (not plastic), toilets, paintwork, skirting boards (baseboards to our American friends), spot stains on rugs and carpets, windows and mirrors.

About the only things I don't clean with this mixture are wooden furniture or wooden floors (makes them dull). It also kills ants!

Mix together:

• 1 Litre of water
  • 200 ml white vinegar
  • 40 ml dish washing detergent
  • 40 ml Eucalyptus oil
  • 2 dessert spoons of washing soda crystals
Use 60 ml of this mixture in a bucket of warm water to wash tiled and linoleum floors. I use a microfibre cloth when cleaning and this makes it easier as well.

When cleaning windows and mirrors, spray on and wipe off with a microfibre cloth immediately and there should be no streaks. I sprayed this mix on the glass shower doors and used a plastic scourer to lightly scrub it in, then rinsed off with water. All the soap scum was gone!

Very economical and not as toxic as store bought products. Washing soda (sodium carbonate) is usually available in the cleaning aisle from supermarkets, or from a hardware store. All the other ingredients are usually at hand or readily available.

Source: From an Aussie site, "Simple Savings" which I subscribe to.

By Sunbaby from Victoria, Australia

* plumbing fixture

Answers:

Best Homemade Cleaner

My mom was looking over your recipe and she needs an American equivalent to "washing soda crystals". The only thing I could think of was a powder (bath, tub and tile cleaner). Can anyone help with this? (12/11/2009)

By Suntydt

Editor's Note: Washing Soda is usually found in the laundry aisle and is made by the same companies as baking soda.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 10, 2009 Flag

This is my favorite home made cleaner is way cheaper and more powerful than any store bought I've tried (including the very expensive ones.)

I use it on everything EXCEPT WOOD AND PAINTED SURFACES. It is powerful enough to strip paint right off the wall. So, don't do it.

In a spray bottle mix:

1 pint of basic rubbing alcohol
1-2 Tbsp of your favorite dish liquid
2 Tbsp of plain ammonia

The best part of this recipe, is that it does not smell like ammonia and the dish liquid (I prefer Dawn Aromatherapy, any fragrance) mixed with the alcohol, has a clean floral scent that you know is disinfecting and germ killing.

By Rose from Maspeth, NY

Answers:

Rose's Favorite Homemade Cleaner

I'll have to try this one .. I like that it doesn't smell like ammonia, which I try to avoid using because I have 2 small children.

Thanks for sharing!
Rebekah (02/21/2006)

By Madelynnsmama

Rose's Favorite Homemade Cleaner

Sounds like a great cleaner. Thank you for taking the time to post this info. (02/22/2006)

By cookwie

Rose's Favorite Homemade Cleaner

I have tried so many homemade cleaners and haven't really liked any, but this one I love. I use the green alcohol and it smells so fresh, even my husband doesn't mind it (he hated the one with vinegar). It cleans just as good as store-bought cleaners. I use an average sized spray bottle and any space that is remaining I fill with water so it's not so strong; I can use it on wood and it won't hurt it. (01/08/2008)

By jdrinkwater

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes General PurposeMay 5, 2010
Water on Deck
Homemade Deck Cleaner Recipes
Homemade Wood Floor Cleaner Recipes
Homemade Wood Floor Cleaner Recipes
Close up of Cleaning Eyeglasses
Homemade Eyeglass Cleaner Recipes
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe
🎉
🎄