Getting Seeds From Zinnias

In hoping to get seeds from faded Zinnias. I am faced with either the spent petals (which fit into the flower-head and look like the heads of spears) or a much smaller seed(?) which comes out of the flower head when the flower head looks like a carefully trimmed buzz cut. Which is the preferred product?

Jim from Detroit, MI

I'm not sure. You could try saving the entire spent flower and planting the whole thing next year.

I had the same question as Irene. Because what seemed to be the seed, was so small and difficult to separate,

I just saved the whole thing, broke it up and planted plenty in a row in the spring. got lots of

flowers, but they were not as large as the original flowers.

When I buy seeds they look more like the first you described. They are very large seed.

As many years as I've dealt with zinnias, I've always just clipped the entire flower head off(called "deadheading") and let dry thoroughly, pop them in a ziplock bag until the following spring and bust the entire dried flower over the readied planting area. The seeds are located in the middle and each flower holds hundreds of seeds. Keep moistened. You'll have PLENTY of zinnias when they start blooming!! Good luck on a pretty bed!!

Thank you, all, for your suggestions. The idea from WIS gal was a new one, i.e. keeping the head whole until the following spring, then spreading the whole contents over the allotted area. I think the big seeds utilizing the dried petals is probably a marketing maneuver to fill up the packet. I will continue disassembling the dried seed heads into zip lock bags and store them for future use.

jim

Home and Garden Gardening SeedsOctober 2, 2008
Organizing Seeds
Organizing Seeds
Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed
Sowing seeds directly.
Direct Sowing Seeds
Saving Zinnia Seeds
Saving Zinnia Seeds
🎉
🎄