Removing Soap Scum from Tiles

My bathroom consists of ceramic tiles on all the walls. Due to years of use of hard water with soap and detergents the tiles are dull with a coating that is hard to remove even after scrubbing. How can I get them back to their original shiny ceramic surface?

Can anyone suggest a solution to my problem by using materials that are available in an Indian market. I shall be thankful to them who can solve my problem.

By Manjunath P.

Hi, I have no idea what would be available in an Indian market, but what I would use here in Canada is full strength vinegar to start. I would spray it on, and let it soak, then just rinse it off. If that is not working, I would switch to a product with a stronger acid. Here in Canada, the product I would use is called CLR, but it is just a stronger acid. You would surely have something the same available, muratic acid is what the ingredient is called; it may be a common name for hydrochloric acid. If this is hard water lime scale build up, an acid will remove it without much scrubbing as it will dissolve it.

CLR is poison. Just check the label. You have to wear gloves while using that stuff! I'd go with just plain vinegar. Put it in a spray bottle, spray it on, let it soak in, spray again, wait for half an hour, then scrub with a stiff brush (plastic or natural bristles). You may need to re-apply several times, but it does do wonders. Once it's cleaned, keep a spray bottle of vinegar in the shower. Spray the shower tiles once your shower is done. You"ll never need to scrub again! Good luck!

Ceramic Tile
Removing Soap Scum from Ceramic Tile
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomJune 29, 2011
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
cleaning a tub
Removing Soap Scum from a Plastic Tub
Washing Machine
Cleaning Soap Scum Out of a Washing Machine
🎉
🎄