Cleaning Sticky Vinyl Clad Wire Shelves

Our vinyl clad wire shelves have become very sticky, and we can't seem to clean them. I have tried lots of products, and even pressure washing to no avail. Do any of you have a solution? Thank you so much.

By Mary from Barefoot Bay, FL

I would try straight ammonia, be sure to use a mask and gloves and rinse well. It sounds like a greasy buildup, and ammonia will cut through it.

I used 97 percent rubbing alcohol. It seems to work.

Thanks! These re in bedroom closets, far away from any grease, so I don't know. The shelves are about 20 years old, and so far we've had to replace them as nothing seemed to get it. We wonder if maybe it's the termite spray that is used here? We're Northerners and have not had the problem there.

Maybe try WD-40 on an inconspicuous corner?

Have you considered a spray sealer to give a new surface altogether? Krylon brand matt spray in clear or krylon spray flat paint in your color choice might do the trick.....I would try a small area first to be sire this works. D

I would try the magic eraser. it gets film off textured fridge handles, microwave keypads and stove keypads.

I've had sticky shelves for years. What works best is wiping down shelves with denatured alcohol that you can buy at Home Depot. I buy cosmetic cotton squares (for taking off makeup) and douse the center of one or two squares with denatured alcohol and wipe each (yes each) rung with the cotton square. I wear a double layer of disposable gloves. It doesn't smell bad, but it's best if the area is ventilated (fan) for I think it's a bit toxic. If possible, I remove shelves and do this outside. I end up using quite a few cotton squares so I keep a throw away bag nearby for the used squares. In a couple of years, I have to repeat this process because the shelves start getting sticky again, but I'm willing to do this to save money.

I am cleaning a home built in 1987, I have never ran into this problem until now. I tried the clorox wipes nope they didn't work . So I grabbed the Rubbing Alcohol and a good sponge it worked perfect. A Little pressure but no more sticky shelves . I hope this helps.

The rubbing alcohol did the trick. Years of dust, grime, even hair wiped right away. Thanks for the tip.

Goo Gone & a paper towel is all you need. Takes about 30 minutes per shelf but cleans it up easily. And it smells good too.

This was very helpful, took me less time to clean.

I called the company and this is what they recommended. Said that humidity and age cause the stickiness. They also said I could replace the shelves. :(

Thanks for the idea! I washed my sticky vinyl shelf with soap and water and then used plain rubbing alcohol on an old washcloth and it completely removed the stickiness! In the past I have tried painting the vinyl and it wasn't completely successful. This worked great!

These shelves are a perfect example of love/hate. Thank you for the cleaning tips.

Lots of inquiries on this problem. I have tried may cleaners to no avail, Finally I just now used Spray "De-Solve-It" easy cleaning with paper towel and seems to the job quickly an easily. good luck!

...Lars

Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousMarch 15, 2011
Man putting in Corner Shelves
Building Corner Shelves
Bailing Wire
Craft Ideas Using Baling Wire
Cleaning a Vinyl Record
Cleaning Vinyl Records
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
🎄