Freeze Nuts for Baking

I use a lot of different nuts and seeds in salads, cooking, and baking (walnuts, pecans, almonds, peanuts, pine nuts, soy nuts, sunflower seeds, etc.) and keep them all in the freezer to preserve the oils and lengthen "shelf" life. Whether they come in bags or cans, I always transferred each different product to zip/seal style freezer bags, but always became frustrated when one of these small packages got "lost" in the freezer. (I knew they were there, but where, oh where?)

Meanwhile, we also use a lot of the dried, grated Parmesan cheese that comes in the 16 ounce plastic jars with the wide mouth screw caps and I wanted to find a way to reuse some of them. Finally, a light bulb went off in my brain.

I saved several of these jars, washed and relabeled each, and now keep them stocked with resealable bags of different seeds and nuts in my freezer. They are easy to spot and doubly packed (baggie and plastic container) to survive even longer than before. Best of all, no more pulling every last thing out of the freezer to find a flattened bag of stale nuts or seeds!

By Cindy from KS

Now why didn't I think of that? I freeze butter to have on hand, coffee, and brown sugar. What other basics do people freeze?

January 11, 2011 Flag

If you are planning on baking be sure to buy bulk nuts. You can store any that you don't use in the freezer and you will save a lot of money. In fact, most baking ingredients can be bought in bulk at significant savings and be stored long term either in dry storage or the freezer.

Answers:

Buy Bulk Nuts for Baking

Nuts can go rancid after time. I bought some pecans last year, chopped them and put in a Rubbermaid container thinking it would keep them. Recently, I went to make a salad with them. This brand container didn't keep the nuts from turning, maybe I should have used another brand plastic containers.
So don't assume nuts will keep their flavors, unless you store them in the freezer till shortly before you plan on using them, instead of in the kitchen cabinet, like I did. (04/09/2005)

By badwater

Buy Bulk Nuts for Baking

I buy nuts in bulk all the time but keep them in the freezer. They will keep a long time in an air tight container in the freezer. It's true if you just keep them in the package or a container in the cupboard that they will go rancid.
(04/09/2005)

By Susan from ThriftyFun

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Sticky buns with nuts.
Baking With Nuts
Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingJanuary 11, 2011
Scattering of pecans in and out of the shell on a white background.
Storing Nuts
Cracked Pistachio Nuts
Freezing Pistachio Nuts
A pile of shelled pine nuts
Recipes Using Pine Nuts
A banana on ice.
Freezing Bananas
🎉
🎄