Freeze Nuts for Baking

I use a lot of different nuts and seeds in salads, cooking, and baking (walnuts, pecans, almonds, peanuts, pine nuts, soy nuts, sunflower seeds, etc.) and keep them all in the freezer to preserve the oils and lengthen "shelf" life. Whether they come in bags or cans, I always transferred each different product to zip/seal style freezer bags, but always became frustrated when one of these small packages got "lost" in the freezer. (I knew they were there, but where, oh where?)

Meanwhile, we also use a lot of the dried, grated Parmesan cheese that comes in the 16 ounce plastic jars with the wide mouth screw caps and I wanted to find a way to reuse some of them. Finally, a light bulb went off in my brain.

I saved several of these jars, washed and relabeled each, and now keep them stocked with resealable bags of different seeds and nuts in my freezer. They are easy to spot and doubly packed (baggie and plastic container) to survive even longer than before. Best of all, no more pulling every last thing out of the freezer to find a flattened bag of stale nuts or seeds!

By Cindy from KS

Now why didn't I think of that? I freeze butter to have on hand, coffee, and brown sugar. What other basics do people freeze?

Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingJanuary 11, 2011
Sticky buns with nuts.
Baking With Nuts
Cracked Pistachio Nuts
Freezing Pistachio Nuts
A pile of shelled pine nuts
Recipes Using Pine Nuts
A banana on ice.
Freezing Bananas
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 3:42:26 PM on 10.0.2.145 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.