Freezing Nuts

A great way to maintain the quality of stored nuts is by freezing. This is a guide about freezing nuts.

Nuts, both shelled and un-shelled, should be kept in the freezer. They will last longer and crack easier. Nuts and seeds of all sorts can be served directly from the freezer.

By Robyn Fed from Tri-Cities, TN

You can freeze nuts. You can even eat them straight from the freezer. A local store has almonds and walnuts at $3.74 a pound. The nuts come in very large packages, so I wouldn't have been able to take advantage if I hadn't known about this tip.

Anonymous
Top Comment

I use to keep the nuts in my kitchen cabinets but would find that when I went to use them they would taste rancid due to the heat in the kitchen. I decided to try freezing them instead and have never had a problem since. They taste just as good and no loss.

I use a lot of different nuts and seeds in salads, cooking, and baking (walnuts, pecans, almonds, peanuts, pine nuts, soy nuts, sunflower seeds, etc.) and keep them all in the freezer to preserve the oils and lengthen "shelf" life. Whether they come in bags or cans, I always transferred each different product to zip/seal style freezer bags, but always became frustrated when one of these small packages got "lost" in the freezer. (I knew they were there, but where, oh where?)

Meanwhile, we also use a lot of the dried, grated Parmesan cheese that comes in the 16 ounce plastic jars with the wide mouth screw caps and I wanted to find a way to reuse some of them. Finally, a light bulb went off in my brain.

I saved several of these jars, washed and relabeled each, and now keep them stocked with resealable bags of different seeds and nuts in my freezer. They are easy to spot and doubly packed (baggie and plastic container) to survive even longer than before. Best of all, no more pulling every last thing out of the freezer to find a flattened bag of stale nuts or seeds!

By Cindy from KS