Mystery Stain on Carpet

There is an old stain, it might be lipstick on a white carpet. They have tried to remove and there is still a large spot. If anyone has an idea I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

By Jackie from North Powder, OR

If it's an old embedded stain, it would be rather impossible to remove from the rug.

Check your laundry aisle for a liquid bleach for colors called Vivid. Mix about 2 tbsp per cup of water, spray on the area and allow to sit overnight if possible. Use a damp cloth then a dry cloth to blot up. I have used this with a great deal of success. Hope it helps!

Hi Jackie,

First try shaving cream. If that doesn't work, try Windex. Both are marvelous for removing carpet stains.

Mix white vinegar and liquid dish soap in small container. Use a brush to apply to spot and scrub. I have found this takes a lot of small spots out.

I have used degreaser spray ( like WD40 ). As brilliant as WD40 is it smells terrible and overpowering so use a degreaser which tells you it is citrus smell or similar.

Spray some onto the stain leave for a couple of minutes and blot off and then used face cloth or similar. Dip in water with small amount of dishwashing liquid ( not so much you have suds ! ) and gently scrub the rest of the stain off. It really does work and it will tackle any stain. My son walked around with Flexitol liberally applied to his plods. You can imagine the damage that did to the carpet and my temper ! The degreaser removed all of it.

However check on an inconspicuous part first just in case any probs. My carpet is wool and very light so I am not sure as to bleaching after effect.

You can buy degreaser sprays in bike and car shops and some cheapo store like Wilkinsons, where I got mine. I love Wilkinsons. There is one in Kingston upon Thames and one in Epsom.

I saw this on UTube so I hope the person giving the information will forgive me in the interests of disseminating information.

Good Luck.

From Petworth in the UK