Mystery Stain on Carpet

There is an old stain, it might be lipstick on a white carpet. They have tried to remove and there is still a large spot. If anyone has an idea I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

By Jackie from North Powder, OR

If it's an old embedded stain, it would be rather impossible to remove from the rug.

Check your laundry aisle for a liquid bleach for colors called Vivid. Mix about 2 tbsp per cup of water, spray on the area and allow to sit overnight if possible. Use a damp cloth then a dry cloth to blot up. I have used this with a great deal of success. Hope it helps!

Hi Jackie,

First try shaving cream. If that doesn't work, try Windex. Both are marvelous for removing carpet stains.

Mix white vinegar and liquid dish soap in small container. Use a brush to apply to spot and scrub. I have found this takes a lot of small spots out.

I have used degreaser spray ( like WD40 ). As brilliant as WD40 is it smells terrible and overpowering so use a degreaser which tells you it is citrus smell or similar.

Spray some onto the stain leave for a couple of minutes and blot off and then used face cloth or similar. Dip in water with small amount of dishwashing liquid ( not so much you have suds ! ) and gently scrub the rest of the stain off. It really does work and it will tackle any stain. My son walked around with Flexitol liberally applied to his plods. You can imagine the damage that did to the carpet and my temper ! The degreaser removed all of it.

However check on an inconspicuous part first just in case any probs. My carpet is wool and very light so I am not sure as to bleaching after effect.

You can buy degreaser sprays in bike and car shops and some cheapo store like Wilkinsons, where I got mine. I love Wilkinsons. There is one in Kingston upon Thames and one in Epsom.

I saw this on UTube so I hope the person giving the information will forgive me in the interests of disseminating information.

Good Luck.

From Petworth in the UK

April 9, 2010 Flag

The carpet in the doorway to my daughter's room has a big black stain on it. I don't know what it is or where it came from. Does anyone have any ideas to remove this? We rent and our landlord put in the carpet just before we moved in a year ago. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
jmz2005 from IL

Answers:

Mystery Stain on Carpet

Try "Spot Shot". It comes in a blue can with a bright orange top. I haven't found a spot yet that it won't remove. (02/16/2006)

By Jean

Mystery Stain on Carpet

When I moved in with my boyfriend, there were several mystery spots on the carpet. I mixed in a bottle peroxide, rubbing alcohol, and water. I don't remember the exact quantities. What wasn't removed with that, I later went over with a 1:3 mix of vinegar to water. I love using baking soda, vinegar, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, water, and dish soap for everything. (BTW Liquid Oxi-Clean is peroxide with additives.) (03/21/2006)

By Treece

Mystery Stain on Carpet

More than likely the stain is nothing more than soap residues which have created a "sticky situation" that is attracting dirt. You can easily test for this by simply applying warm water on the spot and agitating it with your fingers or a tooth brush (be sure not to over scrub the spot or the fibers will become "fuzzy"). If soap suds are produced then you will know that the mystery stain is just sticky soap residues which can be rinsed out using warm water. You will likely have to perform multiple rinses of the carpet to get all of the soap out. You can use a small portable "wet-dry" type of vacuum cleaner to extract the soap and water out. The water will not harm the carpet. But be sure to extract as much water as possible to leave the carpet dry and prevent mildew from forming.

If the water does not remove the mystery spot then it may be an oil-based stain. If this is the case you will need to use a solvent type of cleaner to remove the stain. These types of solvents are often referred to a POG (Paint, Oil, Grease).

Good luck.

Chris Howell
www.colorfulcarpets.com
Maryland, USA (07/25/2007)

By Colorful Carpets

Spraying Carpet Stain
Cleaning Carpet Stains
Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetApril 9, 2010
shoe polish
Removing Shoe Polish from Carpet
Coffee Stain on Carpet
Removing a Coffee Stain from Carpet
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
Halloween Murder Mystery Party
Hosting a Halloween Murder Mystery Party
🎉
🎄