Ralph (Marimo Ball)

Ralph is maybe two years old and is a Marimo Ball. I got Ralph about two weeks ago from my mom.

He likes to move around in his jar and float on the top

I have a Marimo Ball and it's this green living ball. What is it? It's an algae ball. The algae forms itself into a ball and I have it as a pet in my house. I have named him Ralph and have to change his water at least twice a week.

If you have kids, this would be an excellent pet to own as he is very little trouble, very quiet, and you never have to feed him. While in his covered jar of water, he will get water pearls on him and this helps him to float around the jar and helps him to keep his round shape. He is also very good in a fresh water aquarium as it will ensure less algae is formed around the tank and the fish seem to like them.

By Amanda from Ottawa, Canada

Editor's Note: Love it or hate it, the Marimo ball is very unusual. Here is a wikipedia article about it for those who would like to learn more.

Ralph (Marimo Ball)

I find that to be a little Gross! Most ppl try and get rid of algae and mold, not keep it as pets.

How absolutely cool! Where can I get one of these Marimo Balls?

Wow, he is really pretty. Can you find these at local aquarium shops, or are they still pretty much a specialized trade? I am not sure I want fish; but I think one of these guys would be fun--so low maintenance. How big is Ralph? Hard to tell from the picture.

Fascinating, I never knew. He is a life-affirming green sort of thing. I like it.

That is really neat! I never saw anything like that, or even knew that it existed. It's a good solution for renters who aren't allowed pets. I once lived in an apartment that wouldn't even allow us to have an aquarium! Is that not the end?!? LOL If the landlord tried to call you on this one you could say it was a plant!

I plan on checking into it.

Some aquarium stores have them or you could order them online from E-Bay. It is a very interesting talk piece in my home with company, and lots of fun for my daughter Amanda. I did have him at work for a period of time, and my co-workers thought I was nuts having this ball as a pet. I just laugh at them because I know how to make life interesting and to have fun in the process.

Ralph is about 3 - 4 inches in diameter. From what I understand with these little guys, they are considered lucky in Japan. So I guess I am the lucky one.

Karyn

I think this is very cool! 'course I'm one of those who likes to learn about strange new things and in 54 years never heard of this! I'd love one for my preschool class! Thanks for sharing!

I think Ralph is great!!! I never heard of a Marimo ball, thanks for sharing Ralph with us!!

I think Ralph is cool shoot at my place I think he would fit in. Real cool thanks for sharing and easy to take care of too. You are right to the person with the no pet things hey it looks like a plant so get one and have a great friend.

Photos Pets OtherJuly 28, 2008
Finding the Value of Conant Ball Furniture
tee ball player
Tee Ball Team Parade Float Ideas
Mirrored Gazing Ball
Making a Gazing Ball
chocolate chips
Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball Recipes
🎄
🍂