Designer Plates

contest winner icon

I have a great homemade holiday gift idea that is great for family, friends, anyone! And it's so inexpensive, you could give one to everyone on your list!

What you'll need is some clear glass plates with no design on it - we found ours at Big Lots - they're just big plain glass plates with no etching or anything on them. You'll also need "Mod Podge" which you can find in the craft section at Walmart or any craft store. Finally, you need some pretty Christmas wrapping paper (actually, any kind of wrapping paper will do, or designed tissue, even window clings work, I just found out.)

You'll want to cut out the pictures from the wrapping paper, or just unpeel the window clings from their backing, and decide how you want the design to look on the plate when right side up. Then, with one of those sponge paint brushes, you'll spread Mod Podge all over the BACK of the plate, then stick your pictures right onto that. You need to work fast as the Mod Podge dries fairly quickly. After getting all your pictures on the way you want them, let it all dry.

When it's dry, you'll just spread another layer of Mod Podge over the whole back of the plate as a "sealant", then stick a little piece of felt on the part where the plate would sit on the table, that way it won't scrape the pictures or anything when you set it down. Let all that dry as well.

Now, when you set the plate down the right way, your design shows through! Bake up some cookies or other Christmas treats, put them on the plate and make that your gift. Be sure to give a note with the plate telling the recipient not to put it in the dishwasher or in water - to clean, they'll just need to wipe it off with a damp cloth. It's a very lovely and inexpensive gift to give for any holiday or birthday! If you wish, I can upload a picture of one of my completed items.

By Stacey from Orem, UT

WOW! Sounds like a fantastic idea! would love to see some pictures!

I will definitely upload some pictures for everyone tomorrow! They're so cute and easy and great gifts for everyone! Thanks!

Stacey

Sorry, I was trying to upload some more pictures but here's a finished product for now, others to come later. The pictures are from wrapping paper "mod-podged" to the bottom of the plate, with green felt behind the 'main' picture. I promise to get more up asap. Hope this helps for now.

I just saw the plates you did they are so gorgeous. I love the christmas one I cannot wait to try it thank you

I would think these would make great Grandchildren keepsakes if you used an actual photo and then you could paint designs on around the edge with paints or even write the childs info such as name and birthdate or the date of the photo or the memory of where it was taken such as Disney world etc.

This works great with napkins, magazine photos, old cards, etc.

I did this as a collage for my son. He chose pictures of his favorite things and I covered the entire plate. We then gave the plate to Grandma's for a Birthday present. It was a very cherished gift as their grandson "made it" just for them!

I CAN'T WAIT TO DO MINE. THIS IS SUCH A CUTE CRAFT AND I HOPE I CAN ADD IT TO MY BOOKMARK PAGE SOON

WDYJSU LOVE YOUR PLATE

WHAT A CUTE CHRISTMAS CRAFT

I loved this idea! I decided it would be a fun craft for my kids and my daycare kids to do. I tried a sample one and do have one tip. Do not spread on the Mod Podge with a small brush-even though it dries clear it willleave streaks. Make sure you use a foam one. But a great, inexpensive and fun craft! Thanks!

Crafts DecoupageNovember 28, 2005
License Plates Decorating a Wall
Crafts Using License Plates
Uses for Paper Plates
Uses for Paper Plates
Paper Plates
Reinforcing Paper Plates
A photo album, great to use for storing embossing plates.
Storing Embossing Plates
🎉
🎄