Fabric Covered Decorative Glass Plates

Category Decoupage
Using watered down glue and pretty pieces of fabric you can make these lovely plates to give as gifts or decorate you own home. This is a guide about fabric covered decorative glass plates.

Just in time for Mother's day. This fun craft is surprisingly easy to create. You can choose a pretty fabric, glue to a clear glass plate and you've got yourself a pretty "porcelain" plate to give as a gift or keep for yourself.

Approximate Time: About an hour plus drying time.

Instructions:

1. Lay the plate face down on the wrong side of the fabric and trace a circle 1/2 inch bigger than the circumference of the plate.

2. Cut the circle out.

3. Now squeeze some white glue on to a saucer and, by adding a little water at a time, water the white glue down slightly till it resembles light cream and spreads easily with the sponge brush.

4. Thinly coat the center section of the back of the glass plate with the glue.

5. Centering the fabric right side against back of plate slowly ease the fabric on to the plate making sure the fabric is even and all air bubbles are removed

6. Add more glue as needed and work your way to the edges of the plate pressing firmly on to the fabric and easing it into place.

7. Let it dry for a 1/2 hour or more checking at times for air bubbles and adherence .

8. With the sharp scissors cut the excess fabric from around the edge of the plate adding a little glue as you go along.

9. Let dry thoroughly (again checking for bubbles, adjusting as you go)

Voila! You have a pretty "porcelain" plate. I got the clear plates at Walmart for about $1.50. You can also purchase a small plate holder or a plate hanger for displaying your plate. Here is a pictures of the some of the ones I made.

By Jan from L.I. NY

Cute idea! No one would ever guess they're covered in fabric.

You can also use edging on the plates. I used my plates for serving dry foods, like cookies and such. I handwash and dry the glass part only. Do not immerse into water. Depending on the material used, if you place them on a bright sunny window, they look pretty as the sun shines on them. Yours look beautiful.

Very nice! I think my step daughter & I will make her mom one of these for Mother's day. Great job on these!

Your plate is beautiful! My daughter recently made these for Christmas presents using pretty christmas prints, and again for valentine's day with small hearts imprinted on the material. Add a batch of cookies and you have a great gift!