Decorating Dishes

Category Miscellaneous
To embellish plates or cups for a wall or the knickknack shelf, there are many ways to paint or glue all kinds of things, to create a scene or pattern. This is a guide about decorating dishes.

Spray paint decorative dishes to have a matched set for your hanging wall decor.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

Here is a simple technique that one can use to decorate porcelain ware. This decorated porcelain bowl would make a nice present for someone special.

Approximate Time: 2 hours

Instructions:

1. Ensure that the bowl is washed clean with dishwashing liquid. Then, use the dry cloth to dry the porcelain bowl thoroughly.

2. With the Pilot drawing pen, draw a design onto the porcelain bowl. I chose to commemorate Africa's natural beauty, hence I used animal tracks as my inspiration. Of course, any other design and matching paint color will do.

3. Carefully paint each design with the ceramic paint.

4. Draw a freehand design on the bottom of the bowl to highlight the bottom edge.

5. Dip the sponge into the black paint. Remove excess paint from the sponge by dabbing it on the sheet of newspaper. Then do the sponging in the inside of the bowl.

6. Allow the paint to dry for 24 hours.

7. Bake the bowl for 40 minutes at 150° Celsius (302° Fahrenheit).

8. Allow the oven to cool down before removing the bowl.

Note: Not dishwasher proof. Do not use strong detergents and wash with cold water.

By BessieBessie from Pretoria, Gauteng

A good idea for a Christmas craft for kids to do is to make a picture and then buy a clear plate. I found some at a craft store for around 1.00 each.

Using watered down glue and pretty pieces of fabric you can make these lovely plates to give as gifts or decorate you own home. This is a guide about fabric covered decorative glass plates.

Fabric Covered Decorative Glass Plate

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

My daughter is wanting to decorate melamine plates for Passover to send to Jewish troops overseas. Any idea what kind of paints or markers that could be used? Mary Weiss

Answers

I don't think you want anything that sticks to melamine near your food. I can see why you don't want to send glass or ceramic, but I don't have a solution.

Go to your local paint/hobby store and ask them which paints would work, both for food safety and also for ability to be painted on the melamine. The really important thing to remember is that you need to prepare the melamine BEFORE painting so that the paint will adhere to the smooth surface or your picture will literally fall off. On smooth surfaces I spray a clear matte finish but it gives a cloudy/foggy effect to the piece which I don't mind. But there are glass paints out there, ones which can be applied to glass or plexiglass, that will give the effect of a stained glass picture, without glass and leading being used. You can find some really simple pictures or symbols on the internet that would lend themselves to being used on plates. Just a simple picture in the center of the plate. But check for durability and toxicisity (? spelling?) (you know what I mean) of the paints first.

DecoArt makes a paint that I really like. Patio Paints are fade resistant, weatherproof, NON-TOXIC, self sealing (no varnish needed overtop of them after) and easy to use. They come in 2 oz. containers. You would have to etch the surface of the plate so that the Patio Paint would adhere to the surface. Enquire in your area whether you can purchase them.

I stumbled across this while looking for product reviews...I thought I'd mention you can order kits from Amazon or find them at your local craft store, you get the paper pattern which you send away and the company will reproduce it onto a melamine plate.

As far as I can find its safe.

They also have plastic ware with a "pocket" you can slip designs into.

DID YOUR DAUGHTER EVER MAKE THE PLATES? IF SO WHAT DID YOU USE FOR PAINT? I WANT TO DO THE SAME THING AROUND THE RIM OF THE PLATE. BUT I WANT TO BE ABLE TO USE THE PLATES.

My kids painted plates 10 years ago and they have been in the dishwasher nearly every day since. They are still as bright and fresh as when they were new!

The local school or playgroup organised it. They used normal crayons on special paper on which they drew their creative pictures. These were then sent off to the plate manufacture who baked them or whatever into the surface.
A wonderful momento of kids art talents.

I am also looking for the "kits" or info on purchasing the melamine plate kits that kids decorate themselves. My two grown sons did them in school years ago and they are my most treasured "china" and now I have a young daughter who I'd like to make one so I can have a complete set. I tried Amazon.com with no luck. I am on my way to A.C. Moore but I'd appreciate any suggestions, in case they don't have the kits. Thanks!

You can order your kit at www.makit.com or call 800-248-9443. They have a catalog.

Can you just use permanent markers to decorate these plates?

Where can I buy glass craft plates?

By Patricia

Answers

Have you checked in craft stores like Michael's and Hobby Lobby. Several years ago I found them at WalMart, but that was back in the mid-nineties. You could also check in thrift stores.

Local dollars store should have all kinds and inexpensive too.

Good tips. You can also find inexpensive frames at thrift shops and use the glass. If you don't need the frame, why not donate it back or embellish them and sell them?
PBP