Decorating Glass Plates

Category Glass Art
A fun project with paint or sewing notions is creating a decorative plate. This guide is about decorating glass plates.

A good idea for a Christmas craft for kids to do is to make a picture and then buy a clear plate. I found some at a craft store for around 1.00 each. Put the picture on the plate and use Mod Podge to seal it. After it is dry, you can fill it with cookies and give as a gift. Makes a great gift for grandparents.

By Lori from Dallas, TX

Using watered down glue and pretty pieces of fabric you can make these lovely plates to give as gifts or decorate you own home. This is a guide about fabric covered decorative glass plates.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Where can I buy glass craft plates?

By Patricia

Answers

Have you checked in craft stores like Michael's and Hobby Lobby. Several years ago I found them at WalMart, but that was back in the mid-nineties. You could also check in thrift stores.

Local dollars store should have all kinds and inexpensive too.

Good tips. You can also find inexpensive frames at thrift shops and use the glass. If you don't need the frame, why not donate it back or embellish them and sell them?

PBP

I am looking for free instructions on how to make a decorative glass plate using fabric.

Answers

Look at this: https://www.you  ch?v=cY1CCbbGzDA you can also just search on Youtube for the projects you are working on.

I want to know how to transfer pictures onto glass plates. Do I use Inkjet copies or regular photos? Any another ideas appreciated.

Answers

Material needed:

Image printed on laser printer
Glass plate with flat bottom

Mod Podge Photo Medium
Foam brush
Wax paper
Water and sponge

Step 1
In order to be successful you'll need to use an image that was printed on a laser printer and not a standard printer.

Step 2
When you get the print made at a local printer make sure you get 2 copies in case you make a mistake.

Step 3
If your image has words, you'll need to reverse the words on the image before it is printed.

Step 4
Select a plate that has a flat bottom and sides for your first project.

Step 5
Trim your photo and lay them out on a piece of wax paper.

Step 6
Cover the image completely with Mod Podge Photo Medium. Use the sponge brush to smooth out the Mod Podge Photo Medium . You will want this think so you can't see the image.

Step 7
Let dry completely for 24 to 48 hours.

Step 8
Use your sponge and water to wet the back of the image. You will want to wet the image until the paper softens.

Step 9
Now you want to carefully wipe away the paper on the back of the image with a sponge or your fingers.

Step 10
Once the paper is removed you can now carefully trim your image and place it on your plate.

Step 11
The image will dry and stick to the plate because of the Mod Podge Photo Medium.

Are you talking about just using Elmer's white glue?

By Susan

Answers

I'm not totally sure that this question went where it was supposed to, But I'll try to answer it for you.. Elmer's All-purpose Glue works good for this along with any craft glue. And as the other article says water it down.. Mod Podge works well for this sort of application, however, please keep in mind that you will probably need a sealer and these really are not considered food safe. They are decor only.

I received a handprint plate from my grandson at Christmas and was told the painted image will wash off and that I need to find out how to seal it properly so that it might be washed. What can I use to preserve this precious gift?

By Bee

Answers

Glass plates only... you can put them in the oven on low heat for about half an hour & leave it in the oven till oven & plate are both cool. If not maybe a hardware store can sell you a spray to keep it sealed. If it has your Grand sons art on it. I wouldn't use it. I'd put it in a display cabinet on a plate holder to save for ever.

I want to learn to place a real photo on the back of a clear glass plate. I would like for it to look artful, not smeared.
What's the trick?

By Manuel