Cleaning Tree Sap from Clothing

Tree sap coming out of a cut tree.
Tree sap can easily get on your clothing but isn't so easy to remove. With these tips you will learn what it takes to get sap off your clothes. This is a guide about cleaning tree sap from clothing.

When it comes to removing sap from clothing, I have had very good luck with Pine-Sol or Lestoil. It is worth a try.

By nema from Canton, MA

How can I get dirt off my work clothes? I'm a tree climber and I get dirty. It doesn't look too good to have dirt and sap on my clothes for work; it looks unclean.

Answers

You can get fresh sap and dirt off your clothes but if they have been dried it may not be possible to remove all of it.

Try not to dry any clothes that still have excessive dirt and never if they have sap on them. Treat the sap and use a good laundry detergent (Tide is good) for the dirt.

Suggestions: many sites say to try and freeze the sap so it gets hard and can be scraped off but that is kinda difficult to do with everyday work clothes.

Many "experts" say to use hand sanitizer to remove pine pitch/pine tar from almost anything and you can always have a container with you to treat it over lunch time (haha). Seriously, it does work but if these are dark clothes you should test a seam to see if it removes any color. Just put the hand sanitizer liquid on the spot and rub or brush with a small brush.

Another recommendation: use citrus-based goo remover, such as the type used to remove sticker residue, (Goo-Gone), but this I have not tried. This is sometimes difficult to wash out but if you are using hot water then it should not be a problem.

Others suggest rubbing alcohol: just blot it on and wipe sap off with a cloth.

Tide has a good link for this:

https://tide.co  /tree-sap-stains

Here are a couple of more sites and each one has some good suggestions so check one out.

https://www.the  holstery-2147118

http://homeguid  abric-92567.html

Lestoil is a detergent made for work clothing.

Hand sanitizer can help remove the tree sap.

There are lots of suggestions on this thread:

http://www.thri  f860271.tip.html

Many even suggested WD-40 and regular wash after!

Goo Gone and OxiClean are my two go-to's for these issues!

When I was living in the bush and when I was logging I tried using gloves at all times. I really tried.

The routine procedure for getting sap off hands was to spray some OFF mosquito dope onto the hands and wiping them on the jeans. That was fast and always worked like magic. OFF diluted sap always came off the jeans in the wash. I usually used Tide.

When I had a really bad sap or grease spot and had to remove it before jumping into the truck, I used waterless hand cleaner and paper towel or a rag.

That also worked well for removing sap or grease from truck seats.

Waterless hand cleaner usually comes in (for loggers) awkward 4" diameter and 2 1/2" high tins, but it was easy enough to bum empty Skoal chewing tobacco tins from people who chewed, and put a handful of cleaner into them. They are sturdy and last in a back pocket for a couple of years and countless refills.

Have FUN!

DearWebby

Since the question is how to remove tree sap from clothing, wouldn't it make sense not to use peanut butter, lotions, or other "oily" substances? It seems like that is replacing one kind of difficult stain with another. What's safe for my dog's hair is not necessarily safe for my favorite white cotton pants.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I felt the same way. I heard Orange Oil, or Goofoff hand cleaner would work. But it seems both would leave an oily stain. And oily stains are next to impossible to get out of Any fabric

What will remove pine sap from clothing?

By Sabina L

Answers

Mayonnaise or orange oil.

(Submitted via email)

Use hand sanitizer and rub.

Sonny B

Anonymous

You get butter rib it on the clothing let it set for about thirty minutes soak it in warm ,soapy water and that is it easy

Won't Orange Oil leave an oily spot? I've thought of trying it, but was afraid.

Anonymous

Thank you so much I had sap on my Khaki shorts the alcohol took it right off in less than 5 mins

How do you get pine sap off a coat?

By Donna

Answers

Vegetable oil might work, as it does with hair.

I used olive oil to get pine sap out of my hair worked very well

How do I remove milk sap from a plant on my new bathing suit? I was pruning in the garden in the sun and stained my new swimsuit. Please help.

I would try blue Dawn

I have a spot of holly sap on a 100 percent Merino wool jumper. I have tried removing it with soap, but it hasn't budged.

By Louise M.

Try De-Solv-It. I have removed sap from a lot of my grandson's clothes with this.

How do you remove tree sap from clothing? They are exercise clothes made of stretch fabric, probably polyester.

By Cindy from Westchester, NY

Answers:

Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

Try WD 40. It works on all sorts of things, and may work for this. (06/02/2010)

By louel53

Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

My husband recently used his good paddling shirt to saw trees up. It was literally ruined by all the tree sap. I came in search of something that would remove the sap from his shirt. I figured the shirt was pretty much ruined anyways so decided to try 3 of the recommended products. I started with WD40, it "slightly" removed some of the stain. Next I tried the hand sanitizer and was more impressed with its removal. Then I tried the nail polish remover and it was "handsdown" the best product (all three products were tested on different areas of the shirt) I then applied the nail polish remover to the other two areas and it instantly removed the residual left over from the WD, and hand sanitizer. I'm so happy and impressed that this product worked the way it did, I'll be trying it on other products also! (06/27/2010)

By smarty58

Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

Goo Gone works awesomely on tree sap, tar, gum, you name it. (08/16/2010)

By amillen

How do I remove pine sap stains from clothes?

By Tom from Little Falls, NY

Answers:

Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

Rubbing alcohol! Just test an inconspicuous spot on the clothing first to make sure it's colorsafe. (12/15/2010)

By mrpurrfect

How can I remove tree sap from a black knit sweater?

By Janet from Celina, OH

Answers:

Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

Try some lighter fluid on a soft cloth. I had my pup get some sap on his fur last year and rubbed some baby oil on it and it came right off. Good luck! (03/25/2010)

By tahloolabelle

How do I remove pine tree pitch from clothing?

By Teddyaj from Silt, CO

Answers:

Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

I have used the hand sanitizer (soaked on sap stain) so I am guessing that alcohol would work also. (08/13/2009)

By helford

Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

You can get stuff at the auto store for removing tar, bugs, and sap from car without damaging the paint.
I'd try that. I can't seem to find the name of the stuff though, but you can get it at Auto Zone and I think Walmart. I've used it on other things too and it was great. (08/17/2009)

By Shosha

Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

I found the suggestion, I read some weeks ago on this site, of using rubbing alcohol a great solution. The resin just dissolves. I bought a bottle from eBay as I live in the UK and wasn't sure where I could buy it. (08/17/2009)

By Anigma

How do you remove sap from clothing?

By DRogers4 from Troy, NY

Answers:

Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

I have often used WD-40 to remove sap from clothing and skin. Normal washing will then remove the WD-40. (04/30/2009)

By Gerrie

What is the best way to remove pine pitch from a jacket?

By Spring55

Answers:

Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

A clean cloth soaked in rubbing alcohol should do the trick. If not, depending on the fabric use Goof Off, you can get it in Walmart. (04/17/2009)

By ivorylov

Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

I've heard of using hand sanitizer for tree sap on hands and floors; might work on clothes too. (04/17/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

Nail polish remover gets it off very well. Be sure to try and test a hidden corner first.
(04/22/2009)

By kimhis

Removing Tree Sap from Clothing. How do I remove sap from my pants?

My son recently had a play encounter with a Pine tree full of sap and his sweater is full of it.