Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cleaning Tree Sap from Clothing

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Tree sap coming out of a cut tree.

Tree sap can easily get on your clothing but isn't so easy to remove. With these tips you will learn what it takes to get sap off your clothes. This is a guide about cleaning tree sap from clothing.

Solutions: Cleaning Tree Sap from Clothing

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Pine-Sol to Remove Sap

When it comes to removing sap from clothing, I have had very good luck with Pine-Sol or Lestoil. It is worth a try.

By nema from Canton, MA

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Cleaning Tree Sap from Clothing.

Question: Removing Pine Sap From Clothing

What will remove pine sap from clothing?

By Sabina L

Most Recent Answer

By Sally [15]06/29/2013

(Submitted via email)

Use hand sanitizer and rub.

Sonny B

Question: Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

How do you get pine sap off a coat?

By Donna

Most Recent Answer

By xyz01/21/2011

Vegetable oil might work, as it does with hair.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: How Do You Remove Tree Sap From Clothes?

My son recently had a play encounter with a Pine tree full of sap and his sweater is full of it. I tried putting it in the freezer to freeze the sap so it would break off like gum does but nothing works. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
TamClou

RE: How Do You Remove Tree Sap From Clothes?

I had fir tree sap on a nylon jacket and used rubbing alcohol to remove it. I saturated and squeezed the excess from cotton balls, rubbed the areas with the sap and they came right off. (01/04/2005)

By Ida

I sat on an oozing porch railing in a borrowed nylon dress and was horrified to find a big glop on my backside! The wood ooze was sticky and had started to harden by the time I got home. I had borrowed the dress for a wedding.

I used that hand cleaner that mechanics use (Goop?) applied it to the stain and washed and it worked like a charm! No embarrassing confessions to the owner were required. (02/01/2005)

By M. Streetman

Alcohol works great and it's easy and non-toxic. (12/22/2005)

By Karen

Scott towel with peanut butter, rub on sap stain and it's gone. Wash area with water and liquid soap. Also works on your car. (04/16/2006)

By Terry O'Brien

I tried the alcohol method on a pair of pink cotton shorts. Works wonderfully! (06/27/2006)

By Nay

I tried the alcohol and it worked. (08/03/2006)

By Missy

Try using sunscreen! Rub it in then rinse it out. (08/04/2006)

By molly

My husband had tree sap on his leather jacket. I was afraid alcohol or other chemicals would damage the leather, so I tried rubbing peanut butter on the spots, wiped off with a wet sponge, and all the tree sap disappeared--worked great! (12/09/2006)

By okokok

Archive: Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

How do I remove sap from my pants?

Cody from Georgia

RE: Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

Alcohol works great for getting it out! (12/29/2006)

By Meredith

RE: Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

I sat in sap in my brand new khaki shorts. I tried the hand sanitizer and it came out instantly. It was great. Thanks for the suggestion. (4/29/07) (04/29/2007)

By Wendy

RE: Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

Yep, the peanut butter works great on a leather coat, pine sap quickly removed from hubby's new jacket, literally worn 20 minutes. Go peanut butter go! (05/25/2007)

By Jen

RE: Removing Tree Sap from skin, auto or anything other than clothing

If you get sap on your hands or feet, etc. put some cooking oil on it and rub with a paper towel. Wash and you're good as new! (07/16/2007)

By Susie

RE: Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

I used Goo Gone on my favorite jeans. The goo is now gone. There are instructions on the back for use on clothing. Very easy. (07/18/2007)

By Melanie

RE: Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

My kitten got tree sap all over his back and I read the suggestions and decided what was safe to try, but the first thing I did was rub on some margarine and it worked perfectly, so I didn't get to experiment on him with mayo, or butter, or olive oil. He's too young for alcohol. I wiped it off with a paper towel. (11/08/2007)

By Helen

RE: Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

Well, I just used some nail polish remover on the sap and it came off in an instant! Nail Polish Remover works really well. (11/24/2007)

By Jaleena

RE: Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

Hand Sanitizer works on 100% silk ties. (06/29/2008)

RE: Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

Just got back from a camping trip in Canada with tree sap all over the knees of my best outdoor trousers, tried everything with no real impact, but as I was just about to give up I found a non toxic CD marker erasure pen on my desk. I thought I would give it a try. The stains just vanished leaving my trousers like new. Fantastic! (08/03/2008)

By Carl R(UK)

RE: Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

I tried using peanut butter to remove tree sap from my leather pickup seat and it works great! (11/17/2008)

By 21 storm

What is the best way to remove pine pitch from a jacket?

By Spring55

RE: Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

A clean cloth soaked in rubbing alcohol should do the trick. If not, depending on the fabric use Goof Off, you can get it in Walmart. (04/17/2009)

By ivorylov

RE: Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

I've heard of using hand sanitizer for tree sap on hands and floors; might work on clothes too. (04/17/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

RE: Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

Nail polish remover gets it off very well. Be sure to try and test a hidden corner first. (04/22/2009)

By kimhis

How do you remove sap from clothing?

By DRogers4 from Troy, NY

RE: Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

I have often used WD-40 to remove sap from clothing and skin. Normal washing will then remove the WD-40. (04/30/2009)

By Gerrie

How do I remove pine tree pitch from clothing?

By Teddyaj from Silt, CO

RE: Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

I have used the hand sanitizer (soaked on sap stain) so I am guessing that alcohol would work also. (08/13/2009)

By helford

RE: Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

You can get stuff at the auto store for removing tar, bugs, and sap from car without damaging the paint. I'd try that. I can't seem to find the name of the stuff though, but you can get it at Auto Zone and I think Walmart. I've used it on other things too and it was great. (08/17/2009)

By Shosha

RE: Removing Tree Sap from Clothing

I found the suggestion, I read some weeks ago on this site, of using rubbing alcohol a great solution. The resin just dissolves. I bought a bottle from eBay as I live in the UK and wasn't sure where I could buy it. (08/17/2009)

By Anigma

How can I remove tree sap from a black knit sweater?