Removing Tree Sap from a Car

Category Auto
When tree sap gets on your car it can be tricky to remove. You'll want to remove the sap without doing damage to the wax below it. This is a guide about removing tree sap from your car.

We were "rained on" by a newly trimmed pine tree. Not much seemed to work and the sticky gunk got everywhere!

This combo worked effortlessly:

1. Scrape off carefully with single-edged razor blade.
  2. Follow by wiping with WD40 on cloth or paper towel.
  3. Wash car as usual.

Top Comment

Tree sap is essentially a wax. To remove you need a bucket a couple of squirts of washing up liquid rubber gloves a sponge and hose. The water in the bucket must be very hot this is to melt the sap (wax). Apply the mix with the sponge have the hose running and hose it off immediately. It is that simple.

Top Comment

This method works on glass but not the body!

How do you safely remove pine sap from cars without damaging the paint?

By Amanda from TX

Answers

Best Answer

I tried tea tree oil. It did not take it all off so I tried goo gone for tar. No pressure was needed just a swirling with my finger til I could feel it was gone.

Wiped everything off with a paper towel. Then washed with dawn and warm water. Sap was on my car decal an it took it off without removing the wax or the decal.

Best Answer

i used gasoline on a rag.

Can anyone tell me how to safely remove tree sap from my car's finish?

By CLAIRE from Chicago burbs

Answers

Best Answer

Wash vehicle with a quality car soap and dry. While the vehicle is in shade or another cool place, use isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) on a soft clean cloth. Use a generous amount. Wipe over the sap using very light pressure. If you use too hard of pressure, dirt encased by the sap may cause scratches. Follow with a cleaner wax.

Best Answer

Have to say, rubbing alcohol works magic. I bought both that and Goo Gone (for cars).

Both worked but the alcohol was much easier and required less grease (elbow) to remove the sap. Thanks for the help!

How do you get sap off a car?

By Lena C.

Answers

Best Answer

Rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. wet the q-tip with rubbing alcohol and rub the sap until it lifts off. follow up with by waxing the car with your favorite wax.

Do not use fingernail polish. It will strip the paint.

I have some tree sap on my car hood and would like to remove it. Any suggestions for doing so without ruining the paint?

By Rose Smith from Malvern, PA

Answers

Best Answer

Tea Tree oil dissolves pine sap, spruce sap. It's safe enough to use as a mouth wash and will not harm your wax or paint.

Find in a drug store or a health food store (better than mayo, butter, soda, cleaners).

How can I remove the sap that has fallen on top of my car?

By Jesse B.

Answers

There is a product at the hardware store called "goo gone". Self explanatory.

I just tried Goo Gone It doesn't work don't waste your money WD-40 works but it's a lot of scrubbing here's my take on it a lot of scrubbing with WD-40 but it does work

How do I safely remove tree sap from my car?

By Argene from Blenheim, ON

Answers:

Removing Tree Sap From a Car

I use Goo Gone. (05/20/2009)

By Judi

Removing Tree Sap From a Car

Try Scott's Liquid Gold. (05/26/2009)

By dakota

Removing Tree Sap From a Car

Regular Coca Cola will take it right off the windshield. I have heard Coke can mess up your paint, but I have not ever seen it do that. Good luck. (05/27/2009)

By Kathleen Shanahan

Removing Tree Sap From a Car

Before you try anything, use hand sanitizer that works great. And it's so easy, just wipe on and wipe off. (07/25/2009)

By Mary

Anonymous
Top Comment

Hi.
Tree sap is a wax. When you light a wax candle the flame melts the wax.
To remove with next to no cost you need a bucket, a squeeze of washing up liquid, boiling water (no it will not harm your paintwork) a pair of rubber gloves a sponge and your garden hose running. Put the mix onto the affected area and immediately hose it off. The sap will be gone. Its that easy and works.

Load More