Removing Tree Sap from a Car

We were "rained on" by a newly trimmed pine tree. Not much seemed to work and the sticky gunk got everywhere!

This combo worked effortlessly:

1. Scrape off carefully with single-edged razor blade.
  2. Follow by wiping with WD40 on cloth or paper towel.
  3. Wash car as usual.

Read More or Comment...

Top Comment

This method works on glass but not the body!

Tree tree oil, found in drug stores and health food stores, instantly dissolves pine, spruce and other saps. Completely safe. Used as a mouth rinse and other topical treatments so very safe and easy.

Anonymous

Do not use razor blades will scratch paint

Anonymous

I had some stubborn sap. Goo Gone didn't work. WD40 didn't work. Mineral spirits didn't work.

A week later I tried hand sanitizer and it immediately dissolved and removed the sap.

It worked perfectly!! Hand sanitizer wiped it away perfectly! And off my hands! Thanks!
Min Crumpacker

Had pine tree sap on my car... lots of it. Went on line looking for a way to remove it.
1. Alcohol... most site said that this is the best. Tried it, it did nothing.
2. WD-40... tried it, didn't work.
3. Vegetable oil... tried it, didn't work.
4. Tried MEK on the glass with pine sap on it (nasty stuff !!!),.. didn't work.
5. Bought some LA'S TOTALLY AWESOME... Honestly, I was amazed at how well it worked. Didn't have to use much "elbow grease". Took off ALL the pine tree sap as easy as wiping off my kitchen counter... REALLY !!!! I couldn't believe it... the stuff is GREAT !!!!

Top Comment

Tree sap is essentially a wax. To remove you need a bucket a couple of squirts of washing up liquid rubber gloves a sponge and hose.

The water in the bucket must be very hot this is to melt the sap (wax). Apply the mix with the sponge have the hose running and hose it off immediately. It is that simple.

Anonymous

Ur crazy if u try this. Especially using a razor! Unless u don't care much about ur car or the paint & finished wax coat then go ahead and use a razor, after that make sure to use Wd40 to avoid rusting where u scratched the paint...

Use hot water or mildly hot water or as warm as u can get it without boiling and where it's not burning ur hands..
Use a MICRO FIBER Rag the ones for cars at the car wash or auto zones so it doesn't scratch ur car or collect dirt/dust and scratch ur car..
Moisten/Wet the MICRO FIBER Rag with hot water and wipe ur car down where the tree sap landed to remove it...

If that doesn't work use the bug remover that removes bugs from ur car that I get at autozones/car washes/ or pretty much anywhere they sell car products..

Once u have that follow the directions and use it as u would to remove the dead splattered bugs on ur car

I wanted to comment on this, even though the original answer is about five years old. But for somebody with the same question, I wanted to STRONGLY caution against using a razor blade to remove tree sap, or anything else, from a vehicles surface. Im not a professional auto retailer, and dont claim to be any sort of expert, but it would seem to be common sense to not use a razor blade, knife, screwdriver, etc to remove sap or anything else from a vehicles painted surface.

It would be extremely easy to damage the paint by accident, and a quick google search will give plenty of ways to remove tree sap without damaging anything.
That being said, using a razor to remove the sap from glass should be generally safe, though youd still need to use care so as not to scratch the glass.

How do you safely remove pine sap from cars without damaging the paint?

By Amanda from TX

Answers

Best Answer

I tried tea tree oil. It did not take it all off so I tried goo gone for tar. No pressure was needed just a swirling with my finger til I could feel it was gone.

Wiped everything off with a paper towel. Then washed with dawn and warm water. Sap was on my car decal an it took it off without removing the wax or the decal.

Best Answer

i used gasoline on a rag.

Answer this Question

Can anyone tell me how to safely remove tree sap from my car's finish?

By CLAIRE from Chicago burbs

Answers

Best Answer

Wash vehicle with a quality car soap and dry. While the vehicle is in shade or another cool place, use isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) on a soft clean cloth. Use a generous amount. Wipe over the sap using very light pressure. If you use too hard of pressure, dirt encased by the sap may cause scratches. Follow with a cleaner wax.

Best Answer

Have to say, rubbing alcohol works magic. I bought both that and Goo Gone (for cars).

Both worked but the alcohol was much easier and required less grease (elbow) to remove the sap. Thanks for the help!

Answer this Question

How do you get sap off a car?

By Lena C.

Answers

Best Answer

Rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. wet the q-tip with rubbing alcohol and rub the sap until it lifts off. follow up with by waxing the car with your favorite wax.

Do not use fingernail polish. It will strip the paint.

Answer this Question

I have some tree sap on my car hood and would like to remove it. Any suggestions for doing so without ruining the paint?

By Rose Smith from Malvern, PA

Answers

Best Answer

Tea Tree oil dissolves pine sap, spruce sap. It's safe enough to use as a mouth wash and will not harm your wax or paint. Find in a drug store or a health food store (better than mayo, butter, soda, cleaners).

Answer this Question

How can I remove the sap that has fallen on top of my car?

By Jesse B.

Answers

There is a product at the hardware store called "goo gone". Self explanatory.

I just tried Goo Gone It doesn't work don't waste your money WD-40 works but it's a lot of scrubbing here's my take on it a lot of scrubbing with WD-40 but it does work

Answer this Question

How do I safely remove tree sap from my car?

By Argene from Blenheim, ON

Answers:

Removing Tree Sap From a Car

I use Goo Gone. (05/20/2009)

By Judi

Removing Tree Sap From a Car

Try Scott's Liquid Gold. (05/26/2009)

By dakota

Removing Tree Sap From a Car

Regular Coca Cola will take it right off the windshield. I have heard Coke can mess up your paint, but I have not ever seen it do that. Good luck. (05/27/2009)

By Kathleen Shanahan

Removing Tree Sap From a Car

Before you try anything, use hand sanitizer that works great. And it's so easy, just wipe on and wipe off. (07/25/2009)

By Mary

Load More

Viewing This Page
Home and Garden Cleaning AutoAugust 16, 2011
😎
📓
😷
🐛
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf930880.tip.html