AdviceHealth & Beauty

Disinfecting Hands Without Soap

What can I use to wash my hands that disinfects? I have severe skin disorder and soap is so burning to my skin. With the flu season up ahead we are advised to use those disinfecting gels and to wash our hands frequently. How can I do that?

By lrrn567 from Bristol, CT

You can buy Antimicrobial hand rinses. There are many brands available. Wal Mart sells one called Germ X for about 3 or 4 dollars. Most all use Ethyl alcohol as the main ingredient. The Wal Mart product has 63% Ethyl alcohol and claims to kill 99.99% of germs. Of course the hand sanitizer kills the good as well as the bad germs.Others brands may have more Ethyl alcohol. You could also ask your local pharmacist for other suggestions as well.

If you watch the news they will tell you. You don't have to wash with antibacterial soaps. Just plain soap and water (usual brand) wash for 30 seconds. In our house I try NOT to use all that antibacterial stuff because it can be overdone. New strains of bacteria are formed because of the overuse of antibacterial soaps and cleaners. Hope this helps

Anonymous

I wholeheartedly agree with only using regular soap for regular use and save the sanitizing soaps or sanitizers for only when in a pinch. Being that you have sensitive skin a glycerin soap would be the best way to go though.

And a good way to time that 30 seconds is to sing Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star or Now I Know My ABC's song to yourself ;-) Alot more fun and pleasant than watching a clock or saying 1 Mississippi, 2 Missisippi, etc ;-)

You can wash your hands with plain warm water and use a hand sanitiser afterwards if that doesnt irritate your skin as well. However washing with warm water should help just be sure to scrub their surface as you would if you were using soap.

Or ask your doctor if there is a product that could be prescribed that is soap free. My son when he was an infant was allergic to soap and we had to wash him with a special cleanser, however that was over 30 years ago and I don't remember the name of it, but it was from the phamacy. Hope this helps.

I use rubbing alcohol. I put it in a spray bottle to use. That is the main ingredient in the hand sanitizers. Perhaps that may not be irritating.

You could also try Cetaphil, you can wash your hands(or any part of the body) with it. You do not need to use soap or water. I also have the same problem and my doctor advised it. Hope it helps.

Try getting your skin stronger by A Skin, Hair, and Nails vitamins old at the Dollar General Store for cheap.

It truly works well to help your skin produce enough natural oils to heal your skin easier and faster. Bar soap and luke warm water are sufficient, especially Neutragena. If truly irritated now, use Sunlight dish liquid for sensitive hands, which truly works well! I buy it at Fiesta grocery. At all costs, avoid buying and using anything with triclosan in it. It is toxic, and causes all sorts of disorders, even if breathed as well. It should be banned, and may be by now. Pass the word.

God bless and help you. : )

I just found an add for the cetaphil skin cleanser. i'm sure this is what we used on my son years ago but back then you had to have a prescription for it, nice to know you can buy this over the counter now. There is even a $2.00 coupon in the Nov. issue of Good Housekeeping Magazine.

I get a bottle of gentle liquid soap with aloe in it from the dollar store, than add 2 teaspoons of sundown teatree oil you can buy at any drugstore or Publix grocery store, it also disinfects but naturally, and better for you, I love the smell. I hope this helps. Mary