Nail Glue on Contact Lens

What is a safe way to remove artificial nail glue from a contact lens? Help.

By rjone40291 from Louisville, KY

What kind of contact lens is it? Before I became a mommy I worked for an optometrist for 7 years. But it's been a while (almost 8 years). I'm tempted to say that they'd recommend you replace it for ANY contact lens. My best friend is now the office manager at my old office, so I could ask her.

If it's soft, forget about saving it and get a new lens. Soft lenses are porous like a sponge, and you don't want that compromised.

If it's RGP (rigid gas permeable) I'm thinking you'd probably want to replace it, because it "breathes" like soft contacts do (actually, when I was working, it was better than soft). Again, you don't want to compromise that.

If it's PMMA (old school "hard" lens) I don't know. They don't breathe. But I don't know that you'd be able to completely remove the glue, and you certainly wouldn't want to wear it with any of that residue. Some people confuse RGP and PMMA. If the lens flexes, it's RGP (don't try too hard!). We rarely had any patients come through with PMMA/hard.

Your vision and the health of your eyes are paramount. If there is any risk, you should replace the lens. It just isn't worth it to screw up your eye. Call your doctor's office, and explain what happened, and ask if there is any way the lens can be saved. Best of luck . . . take good care of those eyes!

This is far too risky, you need to call your eye doctor.

Hey guys thanks for the feedback. The lens is RGP, it had like 3 tiny little lines in it. I grabbed some ideas from this site and thought I would try them. My son said, "well it's already ruined what do you have to loose".

Actually I used rubbing alcohol, cleaned 2 or 3 times rubbing lense with it and I could see it starting to smear on lens itself so kept cleaning it. Then used regular contact cleaner 2 or 3 times and thank god, it worked! I wore them yesterday and no problem.

I didn't have the money to replace right now, which is what I thought I was going to have to do. So greatly appreciate the feedback.

You should swing into your doctor's office sometime soon and have the lens checked, just to be sure. Your RGP is meant to breathe, and if it isn't allowing enough oxygen to your cornea, that could be bad. So don't wait too long!

Thanks Mrs. story I will look into it. Have a great day.

I know you say you can't afford to replace them right now so 'maybe' the place you bought them from has either a replacement warranty or would be sympathetic and be willing to give you a free pair of disposables?

I certainly wouldn't place them back in my eyes after glue landing on them or having used any kind of cleaning solution other than standard for contact lenses :-(

You could also just go to your local pharmacy and find a pair of over the counter glasses closest to your prescription until you can afford new contacts. The over the counter glasses might not be what you want but you'll be able to see and be safe until you can afford those new contacts.

Deeli: Thanks for writing. Yeah, I am on disability and 700.00 doesn't go far.

I called Bizers/Louisville, where I purchased them and I was like 1 week or so of being able to just order a replacement. So now they want new exam and eval and contacts to the tune of 242.00.

I did use rubbing alcohol and it removed it. I have been wearing them. I am not noticing any problems, they are clear, do not hurt, or anything like that.

I will get them replaced as soon as I am able. I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Thanks again, Rhonda

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceFebruary 13, 2010
Nail Polish Drying Tips
Nail Polish Drying Tips and Tricks
Cleaning Glasses
Saving Money on Optical Lens Cleaner
Uses for Contact Lens Cases, Green and white contact lens case.
Uses for Contact Lens Cases
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet