How Do I Freeze Corn From My Garden?

How do you freeze corn after you have picked it?

By Misty

Shuck it and brush off the silks. Put corn in boiling water and bring back to a boil and boil gently for one minute or so. Take out and cool in ice water. Drain. Cut corn off cob and scrap the cob. I measure it and put 2 cups in a zip lock bag as my recipe for corn pudding calls for 2 cups. I have used corn I've had in the freezer for 3 years and it was still good. Blanching is a must.

I leave the corn on the cob and still in shucks, then put them in a paper bag and freeze. When I am ready to cook I put a couple in 1100 microwave for 4 minutes and then peel them, and you will undoubtedly need to cut some off the end.

I leave the corn on the cob and still in shucks, then put them in a paper bag and freeze. When I am ready to cook I put a couple in 1100 microwave for 4 minutes and then peel them, the silks come off easily. You will undoubtedly need to cut some off the end.

Trim both ends, bottom end to the base of the cob and top down to the corn and pull off only the outer husks. Throw into a sink of cold water as you finish processing the rest. Drain, but do not dry. Place as many ears as possible into a large micro dish with about a tablespoon or so of water, cover and microwave until the corn just starts to smell cooked. Remove and throw in a sink of cold water. Pull off husks and silks, cut corn off cobs, and place into a small sealable sandwich bag (or whatever size you need for a single meal). Put these small bags into a large good quality freezer bag and freeze.

This is an excellent recipe for frozen corn.

Do not blanch ears of corn, but cut off cob. Use 4 quarts of corn kernels, 1 cup of sugar, 4 tsp salt and 1 quart of water. Bring to a boil in large pan. Boil for about 5 minutes and then cool corn. I usually sit the pan in a sink of cold water and stir occasionally until cooled. You can add ice to the water to speed up the process. Once the pan of corn is cooled, just put in freezer bags or containers. Use the liquid too. To use, you only have to thaw and reheat. Add butter if desired.

When I buy corn on the cob, I shuck the corn, cut off any ends that need it, put them in bag in freezer. I live alone so when I want one, I get it out, wrap in paper towel, and microwave it for 4 min.

Important to do this early in the day when farmers pick their crops:

Get several dozen from farmer about 7 am. Line up coolers outside to hold cold water. As you shuck over the garage can, toss cob into cold water in cooler. This helps to bring the cob temp down quickly. Retains the food value. As you keep shucking, someone else should be dumping cooler #1, putting corn in to cooler #2 full of cold running water (keep garden hose in in trickling); rinse cooler # 1 and start filling that with corn/water. This bring any bugs out too. When cooler #2 is full, drain, bring into cool house with large containers to continue to drain the water out. I usually do 6 doz at a time. Have large roasters ready. Can get disp turkey pans as store to help make mess less cumbersome.

24 ears makes a batch. Using electric knife, hold corn in comfortable position--you figure that out--and cut away from your body as not to slice fingers, etc. Cut corn off ONLY.

Toss into sprayed roaster, each ear would be about 1 cup corn.

Salt with 1 tsp around whole pan. 2 sticks butter cut and dropped around too. 1 cup half and half. Cover with foil. Bake 350 for 1 hour. Stir every 15 minutes.

Take out and cool, stir often. When cool enough, pop into freezer bags in the amounts you want to freeze. Leave head space.

Have batch # 2 ready to go in as soon as you remove batch # 1. Same for #3. Etc.

To the freezer. If you can lay them flat, or use cake pan, cookie sheet, etc to maintain flatness, it is easier for storage and removal when frozen. Pop into casserole and microwave or open into crock pot to heat.

My family gathering food is to bring the corn each time.

Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesAugust 8, 2010
Corn Fritter
Corn Fritter Recipes
Growing Corn
Growing Corn
Growing Indian Corn
Growing Indian Corn
A stack of corn tortillas.
Homemade Corn Tortilla Recipes
🎄
🍂