Paint Color Ideas for Boy's Bedroom

I want to paint my my son's room. What color should I go with? I have an 11 year old and a 6 year old. Can you please help.

By Danette from Evergreen Park, IL

My son is 10 and we painted the ceiling and one wall painted a deep dark blue, and the other three walls sky blue. The room is covered with stick on stars and planets and it looks awsome. He has had his room this way since he was seven and has not tired of it. Good luck!

Use colors that they like.

Do go with a relaxing color as you want them to sleep at night--blue or green or a brown maybe. Or paint the lower half green like grass and upper half blue like sky and add trees, etc. I did this and even have a race track in black with velcroed matchbox cars on the track. I painted a hot-air balloon in the air, a campsite, a lake with boats and people and fish, and a forest. If you didn't care, the kids could do freelance art on their walls.

What would they want? Have them each choose a couple of colors, narrow the choices down to one favorite each and see if it's the same for both of them. If they don't agree have them do the old fashioned drawing straws for the final choice or you can always paint two walls of one boys color choice and the other two walls the other boys color choice. ;-)

Two ideas, one I've seen, one I've tried:

(1) The room, small and for one boy, about 8 at the time, had three walls painted white, one wall and the ceiling papered in a bold red plaid. The single window had plaid curtains and the bedspread also matched. Furniture was maple. This could be done with any color or pattern substituted for the plaid.

(2) Paint the ceiling a light sky blue, as well as roughly the top half of all four walls. Make clouds from the floor up and create a very uneven (cloud-shaped) meeting of blue and white. The clouds may, in a couple of places, extend to the ceiling. Sponge the cloud edges where they meeting the sky for fluffiness. Use light lilac or silver, sponged on, to give the white cloud areas some shape. If you're artistic, you can add a few birds, a treetop, or whatever. Glow-in-the-dark stars on the ceiling are a great addition. Has a feeling of being "up in the clouds."

Good luck with you project! --shoe

Kids Room
Color Advice for Painting Kids Room
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceJanuary 19, 2011
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
A boy scout looking at a compass.
Organizing Tips for Parents of Boy Scouts
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
Green paint on a brick wall.
Cleaning Paint from Brick