Keeping Sage Leaves For Cooking

I have a sage plant that died and the leaves have dried up. They smell gloriously when crumbled. I'd like to keep the leaves for cooking, but am not sure as how to go about it. I feel that they should be disinfected somehow, but how do you do this to dried up leaves still on a plant in the ground?

Holly from Richardson, TX

I don't think you need do anything but gather these leaves up and store them in a glass jar. If they are dirty-- with sand or something, I wouldn't use them. If they have been sprayed with something, you are not going to be able to wash it off. I use herbs straight from the garden, only washing if they are dusty. Sage is likely going to be used in a cooked dish. There is nothing on that sage as a general rule that is going to be harmful, and germs would be destroyed in the cooking process. Herbs don't need to be disinfected.

Careful on the ID, there are a lot of plants that people call "sagebrush" that aren't. What grows around here is actually rabbitbrush, and it smells good but tastes like dandelion juice - ew.

I agree with louel53, and the I would say you could grind them into a powder, and use it in chicken dishes. If you rub a small amount on a chicken breast, it's magnificent.

This is a sage plant I bought at a nursery and grew in my organic veggie garden.

Next year, pick it fresh, rinse and set aside. I put it on waxed paper and ignore it until I can crumble it and put in a jar. As for this year, since you grew it, you know if you used anything harmful. If not, it should be fine - especially since you will be using it in a hot dish. Also, most bugs won't eat herbs since they're so strong, so don't both with spraying them.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Herbs and SpicesSeptember 29, 2008
Red amaranth flowers.
Growing Amaranth
Using Banana Leaves
Using Banana Leaves in Cooking
Coconuts
Cooking With Coconut Oil
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves
🎄