Origin Of Buffalo Wings

Here is a bit of trivia for all of us who love Buffalo flavored anything (amazing to see how much this flavor has grown around the globe), but never knew how this delicious flavor originally got its name. Oh, and I must not be alone with a positive review because the Anchor Bar sells over 1000 pounds, yes, one thousand pounds, of Buffalo wings currently every single day. Anchor Bar was opened in Buffalo, New York in 1935 by Frank and Teressa Bellissio. Well, there's the answer to what Buffalo means when it was actually chicken!

In 1964 their son, Dominic, was tending bar when a group of his friends arrived wanting something to satisfy their hunger. So, Dominic asked his mom to come up with something for his friends to eat. Teressa decided to deep fry chicken wings that were normally used back then for soup stock or were just thrown away. She dipped them in hot sauce and margarine, and other secret ingredients, and set out blue cheese for dipping sauce. After that, they were served as hors d'oeuvres at the bar and were initially offered for free, but the word quickly spread and people were flocking to the bar to take a taste, so they quickly became a regular on the menu.

I am not sure when the celery became a standard to serve with them but they are a perfect companion. If anyone knows who introduced the celery I would love to know. :-)

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Editor's Note: Here is a link to Wikipedia's article on Buffalo Wings. It states "While the wings were deep frying, Teressa decided to serve left over celery sticks with blue cheese to her son and his friends to tide them over." There are other versions of the origin there as well.

Thanks for the editors note! I didn't even think to look up on Wikipedia. Now I know the origin of the celery sticks! :-)

I forgot to submit a photo along with this trivia of the still existing Anchor Bar so here it is:

"I am not sure when the celery became a standard to serve with them but they are a perfect companion. If anyone knows who introduced the celery I would love to know. :-)"

Oh, ..well, that was back in the year zero. It was introduced by a gentleman by the name of GOD.

Oh, ..well, that was back in the year zero. It was introduced by a gentleman by the name of GOD. :)

PS.. I don't believe the "thousand pounds a day" claim for one second. Not in a tiny restaurant with on street parking. A week ..maybe.

Hi E_P68, Anchor Bar might not be selling 1000 pounds a day 'inside' the bar but they sell that much daily via online and wholesale sales. The ThriftyFun Editor made a note here that the celery came about while Teressa's son, Dominic, and his friends were waiting for the original batch of wings to arrive to feast on. :-)

Buffalo Wings on a Plate
Buffalo Wings Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Food InfoFebruary 24, 2011
Teriyaki Chicken Wings
Teriyaki Chicken Wings Recipes
Chicken Wings
Chicken Wings Recipes
Buffalo Chicken Pizza
Buffalo Chicken Pizza Recipes
Parmesan Chicken Wings
Parmesan Chicken Wings Recipes
🎄