Browsing: Cleaning Diesel Fuel Odors From Inside a Car

Diesel Fuel Stain and Odor

My husband brought diesel home from the garage in a can and it spilt in the car. The result is the back seat is saturated and the car is absolutely stinking. Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of odour and stain?

McConville

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

This one is going to be painful, but GET RID OF THE SEAT. The fumes you are ingesting from the diesel into your lungs are petroleum distillates and are doing irrepairable damage. Especially if there are children that ride in the car.

You can always get another from a "pick-and-save" type of auto parts place/wrecker. It doesn't have to match, you can always put a seat cover over it.

Good Luck!

Another reason to replace the seat.....the current one is now a big time fire hazard !!!!

My first thought would be to put hubby in the car and send it over a cliff. love patsAZ

Hi,

My husband is a heavy equipment mechanic and his clothes always smelled like diesel no matter what I used to clean them. One day I was reading one of my online newsletters and someone had written in that an insurance adjuster had told her to clean her household items with Listerine after a fire, and the smell would be gone. He said it would remove almost any odor. I tried it on my husband's clothes and it works great. Now I never wash them without it. I was thinking if your spill is a small one, saturating a paper towel or something like it with Listerine and leaving it in the car for a while might help. It's worth a try. Hope this helps, Sharon

Hi,

I am an Independent Watkins Associate, and we carry two products that may really do the trick for you. I haven't had this problem and haven't tried this, but I do know of people who swear by these products. The first is Stain Pro Grease, Tar & Gum Remover, a high-powerd d-limonene that removes tar, grease, motor oil, and adhesives from clothing, upholstery, and hard surfaces like formica, linoleum, ceramics, and porcelain. The other product is our Odor Zap, a heavy-duty odor neutralizer formulated to permanently eliminate odors like smoke, mildew, paint fumes, or waste matter. This product is biodegradable, non-toxic, non-corrosive, hypoallergenic and non-staining. It's 100% safe for people, pets, and the environment. I think I would use both - the first for the stain and the second to remove the odor.

If you would like me to send you a catalog so you could check this out, just e-mail me, and I'll get one in the mail to you.

Trudy

trudypowell @ sbcglobal.net (remove spaces)

http://www.mo3bk.com

Zeolite is the safest odor eliminator known to man!

Natural volcanic zeolite mineral.

www.ZeoliteDepot.com

Diesel fuel spill in truck on cloth seat and plastic. What do I do?

I've heard that mothballs will neutralize (or mask?) the diesel smell. I've put mothballs in the bilge of my boat where there is always a little diesel fuel leakage and it does seem to help. But if I was in your situation, I would definitely get rid of the seat.

cleaning a car interior
Cleaning Diesel Fuel Odors From Inside a Car
Consumer Advice Cars CarsJanuary 23, 2005
work boots
Removing Diesel Fuel from Shoes and Boots
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
man servicing a semi truck
Cleaning Diesel Fuel on Concrete
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 19, 2016 at 7:59:01 AM on 10.0.1.117 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.