Removing Mold in Pop Trailer

We just opened up our hardtop trailer and found mold on the curtains, canvas, and hard ceiling. Why is this, and how do we get rid of it and keep it away? Please help.

By Chamberland from Belleville, Ontario

The mold is due to a moisture problem somewhere, a leak, or even just interior condensation.

I always clean and treat mold with a bleach and water mixture. You need to wear gloves if applying it with a sponge, or get a cheap sponge mop, and just mop a light coating, and leave it to dry, just keep the windows open, and you may want to wear a mask while you are in there.

Hi there,

Use white vinigar, spray it on and then wipe or scrub. it works and is saver then bleach. With the curtains I would soak them in water and vinigar.

Good luck. Manny from Aussieland

Is it mold or mildew? Mildew is black and is like black dots and looks like a stain. Sometimes it just washes out of curtains and things. Mold is usually white and fuzzy, and is thick, think mold on an orange. Your camper was likely put away damp. Mold and mildew grow in dampness. If it was dry, it would not develop this.

After you have washed it, with or without bleach. I would use some bleach, you should park it in the sun, and let the sun have it for a couple of days, air out the bleach, and kill any other mildew/mold spores.

If you're going to use bleach to remove the mildew stains you need to nake sure you can complete rinse all bleach residue off or the canvas could deteriorate & start to fall. The owner's manual to our Starcraft suggest bleach but I don't see how I could thoroughly rinse it out when the affected areas are attached to the ends of the beds & are over the kitchen pullout. Other site recommend hydrogen peroxide some straight others in a 50/50 solution with water while others recommend rubbing alcohol. I think I am going to give peroxide a try on ours.

From anything I've read, you should not use bleach. It is harsh and can cause damage. Apparently, Lemon Mold and Mildew Cleaner is great from Bass Pro Shops.

Mold In a Popup Camper
Home and Garden Cleaning MoldJuly 10, 2011
Angel made from a recycled green pop bottle.
Making a Pop Bottle Angel
Sky Blue Retro Travel Trailer 3
Buying a Used Travel Trailer
Pop bottle fish with colorful streamers for its tail.
Making Pop Bottle Fish
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
🎉
🎄