Mold in a Popup Camper

Category Mold
Popup campers can often retain moisture easily and then start to grow mold. This is a guide about mold in a popup camper.

We just opened up our hardtop trailer and found mold on the curtains, canvas, and hard ceiling. Why is this, and how do we get rid of it and keep it away? Please help.

By Chamberland from Belleville, Ontario

Answers

Best Answer

Hi there,
Use white vinegar, spray it on and then wipe or scrub. it works and is safer than bleach. With the curtains I would soak them in water and vinegar.
Good luck.
Manny from Aussieland

Best Answer

If you're going to use bleach to remove the mildew stains you need to make sure you can completely rinse all bleach residue off or the canvas could deteriorate & start to fall. The owner's manual to our Starcraft suggest bleach but I don't see how I could thoroughly rinse it out when the affected areas are attached to the ends of the beds & are over the kitchen pullout. Other site recommend hydrogen peroxide some straight others in a 50/50 solution with water while others recommend rubbing alcohol. I think I am going to give peroxide a try on ours.

Best Answer

From anything I've read, you should not use bleach. It is harsh and can cause damage. Apparently, Lemon Mold and Mildew Cleaner is great from Bass Pro Shops.

I would like to know how to take mould out of tent trailer canvas.

By Gene from Canada

Answers

Hello! I do not know 100% how to prevent it unless you can put it away 100% dry and usually they're even a little damp...but....i do know how to clean it! :-) there is a brand called Northwoods, they make a canvas cleaner called Skidew, and it worked miracles! Good luck!

I have a popup camper that has been closed up for a while and after opening it up I see lots of mold and mildew on the canvas. It is a newer camper with the blue and white canvas, I want to clean it up and need help in finding the right cleaner to make it look nice again.

Thank you for your time!
Max from Bent Mountain, VA

Answers:

Mold In a Popup Camper

Hello, Max, from a fellow pop up camper owner. First of all, you don't mention the brand of pop up camper you have, but generally you want to be "very" careful about what you clean your canvas with. Any type of bleach and/or strong cleansers can seriously damage the water proofing of your pop up's canvas, thus potentially causing some very wet camping experiences. From what I have learned, most manufacturers recommend a solution of very mild soap and water. The best thing to do would be to check in your owner's manual or call the manufacturer directly.

In the future, the best way to prevent mold or mildew, as you probably already know is to make sure your pop up's canvas is completely dry before closing it up. Also, I believe there are some products that you can buy to place in your camper when you're not using it that will also help reduce the risk of mold and mildew, such as Sta-Dri which can be found at RV supply stores.

Here are a couple of links to some great sites with very good info especially for pop up campers:

travelswise.com/ and
popupexplorer.com .

Good luck and happy camping!

Michelle (03/05/2006)

By TxSavr

Mold In a Popup Camper

I had the same problem and I used a solution of 50% water 50% rubbing alcohol. It looks like new. (08/01/2007)

By Amy

Mold In a Popup Camper

I use a warm water and Ivory soap solution on the canvas. Seems to work very well.

(10/11/2007)

By Brian

Mold In a Popup Camper

I use "Microband". It cleans and keeps it off and very safe. Just google it. (01/20/2008)

By rhollister