Repairing a Popup Camper

One of the lift legs that hold up the top will not go up. The other 3 do just fine. How can this be fixed?

Answers

Best Answer

Not cool that you are having issues during a holiday weekend!

When I learned about YouTube it has become my go to learn how to fix things, make things, etc. This site proves you can fix old dogs like me new tricks like how to fix things :)

There are lots of good YouTubes out there for campers.

Without knowing the brand, I found one about fixing lifts. If you put your brand in, I bet you will find something perfect to get you started! Sometimes even if the videos are bad (and boy are there some bad ones), they have one grain of helpful that gets you where you need to be in your to do! The link I found is:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYcRj-PKPPU

Answer this Question

43 More Questions

How do I repair a pop up camper where the canvas is sagging on the sides?

Answers

Best Answer

two reasons might be that you don't have appropriate poles, or that the canvas itself is old/used up, therefore sagging

if the canvas itself is sagging because it's stretched out, you are probably better off not purchasing it

the big problem with a sagging canvas is that water collects which can have obvious problems

if it's just the poles that are an issue you first find out if the shepherd's pole is adjustable. Or sometimes the shepherd's pole gets bent due to weight. Then you can replace it or try to unbend it

some people just use pool noodles to correct the sag, at the connection points. One example is shown in the pic

Answer this Question

I have an old Coleman pop top caravan, the sides are aluminum, but the front and back are a hard plastic. I have two holes at the front in the hard plastic and a crack in the back. The plastic is very brittle from age.

Does anyone know how I can fix these holes? My kids love camping and I can't afford to pay for expensive repairs. The whole caravan is not worth much, but we love to go camping the kids and I.

Answers

I know someone who had a similar problem and he repaired it with duct tape and painted the tape to match the paint on the car. It's a cheap solution to the problem and worth trying. Good luck.

Why not stop by an auto-body repair shop, Marina, and ask them about using "bondo." It's a type of putty which dries when applied and the technicians then sand it down to match the countours of the vehicle. No drilling of holes (in your already fragile plastic) and of course you don't have to sand it down, just apply it to fill the holes and reinforce the strength of the front and back.

Good luck!

What about using a flexible cutting board as patch? You could use the duct tape as someone else mentioned, or a product called Fiber Fix, that was featured on Shark Tank?

Since my son is the camper in the family, I ask him for an opinion.

He said he had repaired fiberglass on a boat but never anything else - so - his suggestion was to take it to a local shop and try to get their opinion on repairs and cost as this may turn out to be a big job and may only be necessary for "looks".

If there is no local RV/Camper repair shop near by maybe there is a boat sales/repair shop that may be able to help you - either with a cost to repair or a shop that does that sort of repair.

If it is determined there is no structural damage maybe you can think of a way to "camouflage" the damage?

My daughter even suggested asking someone at a Corvette repair shop for advice seeing as how they have to repair this "type" of stuff on Corvettes.

Hope you and your family are able to go camping soon.

I wonder if you could use the fiberglass repair kits on it? Its a fiberglass tape and you brush on the adhesive, then it all dries to a hard finish.

Gorilla Tape may work. It comes in a wide clear tape now. I've used it on holes in the bottom of a latex pool and it has held up. You could cover the holes with plastic from food containers, which would be bendable for the corners, and then tape over it on both sides. A square food container would provide you with four corners.

Perhaps you could fill in the cracks with an outdoor silicone. The same company puts out clear Gorilla Sealant, which is for outdoors and is waterproof. Best of luck

Marina, I have a 1989 coleman pup and used the fiberglass method and it worked great. you can buy a fiberglass repair kit and any auto repair store.

Our newly purchased 1988 popup tent trailer "popped up" while we were driving on the freeway. We think the old cotter pins snapped and things were flapping everywhere. Nothing went flying out, but it appears the canvas ripped away from the roof.

We haven't been able to investigate yet, but are wondering if it is repairable and if there is a place near Sacramento, CA? This was our retirement splurge for us to have fun family times. Thank you so much.

Answers

Best Answer

You can sew it yourself if you have a heavy needle. Here is a blog with several options:www.popupportal.com/.../

Answer this Question

What has to come out on a 2000 Jayco Laurel camper with slide out to replace the cable lift system? What do you need to take out (cabinet, dinette wise) on 2000 Jayco Laurel, pop up with slide out, to repair cables on the pulley system?

Answer this Question

I need to clean and repair canvas and screens on 1976 Coleman Popup camper. I am also having problems with bunk slide outs and with cranking. The canvas is very dirty; not much mildew; need to resew at the door. The screens are brittle, cracked. Can slideouts be removed and gliders lubed? Same for the cranks? any advice greatly appreciated.

Shirley from Sandusky, OH

Answers

SIMPLE GREEN should clean the canvas with no problem even if there is a lot of mildew on it...something else I've discovered that cleans mildew is DOW SCRUBBING BUBBLES BATHROOM CLEANER believe it or not!! My son bought a 1969 Chevy station wagon that literally had sat in a field for about 20 yrs. and I'm talking major mildew here!! I did the entire inside of the car with the scrubbing bubbles and it looks like new! If the company knew how well it works for that, they would probably charge much more for the product!
We bought an old Scotty camper many years ago and the awning was horrible looking and smelly with so much mildew..used simple green and looked like new.
As far as repairing the canvas, I notice that you live in Ohio...are there any Amish people near you that you could ask about sewing it?? We had a Starcraft pop-up many, many years ago and it was torn around the screen windows on each end where the beds pulled out and they were able to sew it; did not charge a lot either.
Good luck with it, and happy camping!

www.popupexplorer.com/.../default.asp?CAT_ID=1

Please check out this site. There is an unbelievable amount of help available to pup'ers there. And the guys are really funny to boot! :-)

Anonymous

We live in NJ and just bought a used pop up trailer. The screens on each side need to be either replaced or repaired. Any thoughts on where to go for either one. So far we found one place but they want over $500.00 to just repaire it. Is it easier to just buy new.

Please advise.

I have a 1986 Coleman Sunvalley pop up. The posi-action control handle that controls whether the pop up is cranking up or down snapped off. Do I need to replace the whole winch system, the whole crank shaft, or just have someone fabricate a new lever? I am unable to get Coleman parts.

Thank you.

I have a '97 Starcraft Meteor pop up camper. One of the lifts by the front where the bed is is 4 higher than the other 3. Why and what can I do and is it expensive to fix?

Anyone have ideas on repairing or re-doing our queen bed rails? My wife was trying to put the camper up herself and bent both bed rails. These are not the slides, they're the actual bed rails that slide in and out.

I can't use the rails, they are badly bent. Any help is much appreciated.

The seam has popped out on our pop up camper canvas where it tucks into the side. Is there a tool I need to push it back in so it seals properly?

Answer this Question

I need to know where I can order the support arms for my 89 Palomino popup. My arms are broken and I've looked high and low for replacement parts with no luck. Please help.

I am thinking about buying a pop up camper, but the sides of the canvas are collapsed. Should I keep looking for a different camper or is there a way to repair this?

The track holding the canvas wall up is starting to break. I am trying to figure out how tough it would be to replace just the plastic track that holds up the canvas wall of our 1996 Jayco Pop Up trailer, and where I could find a length?

Any info welcome. It's still holding, but breaking at one end, and eventually we are going to need to replace it.

What is the average cost to rebuild the top of a 24ft pop up camper's roof?

The zip up plastic vinyl screen cover in my pop up camper is torn and falling apart. I'm trying to figure out how to fix it or replace it. I am interested in any other ideas on what I could use instead of using the plastic vinyl and having it be zippers.

I need something to replace it, that will keep me warm at night, but that can be removed during the day for air and light. Is there another material I could use? Could I glue on Velcro strips instead?

Answers

I have a 5th wheel and have been surprised at how much I have saved by getting parts from an RV junk yard. You may be able to get a new screen cover very cheaply from one. I replaced a hot water heater for $7. To get a new one or take it to the RV repair was several hundred. I got it from the RV junk place for $7 and the guy showed me how to switch it out myself. My parents did the same with some broken skylights in their camper. See if you have any RV junk yards in your area.

You could put a want ad in Freecycle or Craigslist and ask if someone has a camper they want to give you. You could keep that one for spare parts.

Load More
Home and Garden Repair OtherMay 5, 2014
😷
🎂
🎃
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Repairing-a-Popup-Camper-1.html