Repairing a Popup Camper

Category Other
In order to be able to use a compact camper trailer, it must be able to lift up easily, and keep the rain out. This is a guide about repairing a popup camper.

The ceiling of a pop-up camper is a commonly needed repair. Save money by doing the work yourself. This guide has suggestions how.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about top not staying up on a pop up camper. Repairing a pop up camper that will not stay open will require first determining exactly what mechanism is malfunctioning or broken.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

A damaged window screen in your pop-up camper may prove a challenge to repair. This page contains some useful tips for repairing or replacing camper screens.

This is a guide about replacing the window screen in a popup camper.

The canvas walls on a pop up camper can be damaged or wear out and need to be replaced. You may need to shop around to find a good price. This is a guide about replacement canvas for a pop up camper.

It is sometimes difficult to determine why your camper top is not closing all the way. This is a guide about pop up camper won't go all the way down.

It is simple and inexpensive to fix holes in a pop-up camper. Check this guide for tips on repairing holes in canvas tent trailer.

The hinges on pop up campers get a lot of use. Over time you may need to repair or replace them. This is a guide about repairing hinges on pop up camper.

I have an old Coleman pop top caravan, the sides are aluminum, but the front and back are a hard plastic. I have two holes at the front in the hard plastic and a crack in the back. The plastic is very brittle from age.

Does anyone know how I can fix these holes? My kids love camping and I can't afford to pay for expensive repairs. The whole caravan is not worth much, but we love to go camping the kids and I.

Answers

I know someone who had a similar problem and he repaired it with duct tape and painted the tape to match the paint on the car. It's a cheap solution to the problem and worth trying. Good luck.

Hi Anne,

Thank you so much for your reply, one of the holes wraps around the corner so it needs to be a bit more supportive. But thanks anyway
cheers Marina

Why not stop by an auto-body repair shop, Marina, and ask them about using "bondo." It's a type of putty which dries when applied and the technicians then sand it down to match the countours of the vehicle. No drilling of holes (in your already fragile plastic) and of course you don't have to sand it down, just apply it to fill the holes and reinforce the strength of the front and back.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the advise. I hadn't thought of going down that avenue. I will certainly follow your advise and I will keep you posted. Once again thank you for taking the time to post your idea to me
kind regards,
Marina

Our newly purchased 1988 popup tent trailer "popped up" while we were driving on the freeway. We think the old cotter pins snapped and things were flapping everywhere. Nothing went flying out, but it appears the canvas ripped away from the roof. We haven't been able to investigate yet, but are wondering if it is repairable and if there is a place near Sacramento, CA? This was our retirement splurge for us to have fun family times. Thank you so much.

Answers

Best Answer

You can sew it yourself if you have a heavy needle. Here is a blog with several options:http://www.popu  from-roof.95279/

I need to clean and repair canvas and screens on 1976 Coleman Popup camper. I am also having problems with bunk slide outs and with cranking. The canvas is very dirty; not much mildew; need to resew at the door. The screens are brittle, cracked. Can slideouts be removed and gliders lubed? Same for the cranks? any advice greatly appreciated.

Shirley from Sandusky, OH

Answers

SIMPLE GREEN should clean the canvas with no problem even if there is a lot of mildew on it...something else I've discovered that cleans mildew is DOW SCRUBBING BUBBLES BATHROOM CLEANER believe it or not!! My son bought a 1969 Chevy station wagon that literally had sat in a field for about 20 yrs. and I'm talking major mildew here!! I did the entire inside of the car with the scrubbing bubbles and it looks like new! If the company knew how well it works for that, they would probably charge much more for the product!
We bought an old Scotty camper many years ago and the awning was horrible looking and smelly with so much mildew..used simple green and looked like new.
As far as repairing the canvas, I notice that you live in Ohio...are there any Amish people near you that you could ask about sewing it?? We had a Starcraft pop-up many, many years ago and it was torn around the screen windows on each end where the beds pulled out and they were able to sew it; did not charge a lot either.

Good luck with it, and happy camping!

http://www.popu  ult.asp?CAT_ID=1

Please check out this site. There is an unbelievable amount of help available to pup'ers there. And the guys are really funny to boot! :-)

Anonymous

We live in NJ and just bought a used pop up trailer. The screens on each side need to be either replaced or repaired. Any thoughts on where to go for either one. So far we found one place but they want over $500.00 to just repaire it. Is it easier to just buy new.

Please advise.

How do I repair a pop up camper where the canvas is sagging on the sides?

I have a 1986 Coleman Sunvalley pop up. The posi-action control handle that controls whether the pop up is cranking up or down snapped off. Do I need to replace the whole winch system, the whole crank shaft, or just have someone fabricate a new lever? I am unable to get Coleman parts.
Thank you.

I am thinking about buying a pop up camper, but the sides of the canvas are collapsed. Should I keep looking for a different camper or is there a way to repair this?

The track holding the canvas wall up is starting to break. I am trying to figure out how tough it would be to replace just the plastic track that holds up the canvas wall of our 1996 Jayco Pop Up trailer, and where I could find a length? Any info welcome. It's still holding, but breaking at one end, and eventually we are going to need to replace it.

What is the average cost to rebuild the top of a 24ft pop up camper's roof?

The zip up plastic vinyl screen cover in my pop up camper is torn and falling apart. I'm trying to figure out how to fix it or replace it. I am interested in any other ideas on what I could use instead of using the plastic vinyl and having it be zippers. I need something to replace it, that will keep me warm at night, but that can be removed during the day for air and light. Is there another material I could use? Could I glue on Velcro strips instead?

How can I replace a the rear roof section top? The wood has taken in moisture and the bracket mount screws have failed. Thank you.

Answers

You can try a great DIY RV site. Check through the many fix-it projects and ask questions.

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/

Also try RV.net-A huge and very helpful question, answer, tips, etc., site for all types of RVs. Ask your question on the Tent-Trailer section.

Anonymous

i had the same problem several years ago. i cranked down the roof 1/2 way and while the bed was slid in, i pushed back the fabric, removed the dry rot, inserted another piece of wood. We found it better to put the bracket back on with a nut & bolt configuration than just screws. The nuts show from the outside, but we don't care. Works great now.

We are refurbishing an old pop-up. I am looking for any neat ideas to do with the interior.

Kimberley Monroe from FL

Answers

Here are two great popup forums to help you get started: http://www.popupexplorer.com and http://www.popupportal.com . Both these sites have great members who have loads of ideas, some of whom have also refurbished their own older pop ups. Good luck and have a great time with your new-to-you camper!

i recently covered up the icky old linoleum in my bathroom with stick on floor tiles from family dollar. a box costs 10 dollars and they look nice. a box was much more than enuf so im sure you could use it for maybe 2 places.

Severe winds have bent all 4 support extensions to raise the roof on our '98 Jayco popup, which is causing it to lean to one side and leaving a large gap between the canvas frame and the door. Are these support extensions repairable or replaceable?
Help!

Answers

A very simple online search for "Jayco parts" produced many good replies. You can try a search yourself and the Jayco Parts Online catalogue:

http://search.a  s+catalog+online

I need to repair the metal slide on my popup camper. It is slightly bent making it difficult to slide the end in. This model no longer has replacement parts for it that I can find. The local RV shops do not seem interested in getting paid to do it either. Any suggestions?

By William

Answers

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer-Dutchmen RV? The site offers its phone (no 800#) and email:

http://dutchmen.com/
(574) 537-0600
contactus AT dutchmen.com

They may be able to help you for a part or repair of the slide.

How do I repair a crank lift system on a Dutchman pop up camper? Only 3 of the 4 lifts will come up.

By Janie B.

Answers

Go to ....StarCraft.com and then click onto ...Repair parts. They have information and parts there.

I will also have to replace one roof post on my 2000 Rockwood tent trailer. I will have to unscrew the bed rail and unscrew the aluminium plate over the wall and unscrew the post at the top and I think I will be able to pull up the posts from the wall. Camille

We recently bought a 2003 pop up camper, but the wood on rear panel is completely rotted. The only thing holding the rear panel on is the spare tire. Is it possible to take the rear panel off and safely disconnect all wires? And what needs to be done to replace wood and re-secure the panel to the camper?

I bought a 1995 Viking SH270 pop up. The guy said he replaced the cables on it. Well after the 2nd time I used it I noticed that the back is coming up higher then the front and causing the canvas to become disconnected from the camper. I am having trouble getting the door to drop down right. I have to take a pry bar and pry up between the door and roof. I am not sure what I need to do. Thanks!

We have popped one of our lift cables on our 2002 Coleman pop-up. We are somewhat handy; has anyone repaired this? If so, how complicated is it?
Also, I am not finding specific lengths for the cables, are these "universal"?

Load More