Repairing a Popup Camper

Category Other
In order to be able to use a compact camper trailer, it must be able to lift up easily, and keep the rain out. This is a guide about repairing a popup camper.

The ceiling of a pop-up camper is a commonly needed repair. Save money by doing the work yourself. This guide has suggestions how.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

The canvas walls on a pop up camper can be damaged or wear out and need to be replaced. You may need to shop around to find a good price. This is a guide about replacement canvas for a pop up camper.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

It is sometimes difficult to determine why your camper top is not closing all the way. This is a guide about pop up camper won't go all the way down.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

It is simple and inexpensive to fix holes in a pop-up camper. Check this guide for tips on repairing holes in canvas tent trailer.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

The hinges on pop up campers get a lot of use. Over time you may need to repair or replace them. This is a guide about repairing hinges on pop up camper.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have an old Coleman pop top caravan, the sides are aluminum, but the front and back are a hard plastic. I have two holes at the front in the hard plastic and a crack in the back. The plastic is very brittle from age.

Does anyone know how I can fix these holes? My kids love camping and I can't afford to pay for expensive repairs. The whole caravan is not worth much, but we love to go camping the kids and I.

Answers

I know someone who had a similar problem and he repaired it with duct tape and painted the tape to match the paint on the car. It's a cheap solution to the problem and worth trying. Good luck.

Hi Anne,

Thank you so much for your reply, one of the holes wraps around the corner so it needs to be a bit more supportive. But thanks anyway
cheers Marina

Why not stop by an auto-body repair shop, Marina, and ask them about using "bondo." It's a type of putty which dries when applied and the technicians then sand it down to match the countours of the vehicle. No drilling of holes (in your already fragile plastic) and of course you don't have to sand it down, just apply it to fill the holes and reinforce the strength of the front and back.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the advise. I hadn't thought of going down that avenue. I will certainly follow your advise and I will keep you posted. Once again thank you for taking the time to post your idea to me
kind regards,
Marina

What about using a flexible cutting board as patch? You could use the duct tape as someone else mentioned, or a product called Fiber Fix, that was featured on Shark Tank?

Since my son is the camper in the family, I ask him for an opinion.

He said he had repaired fiberglass on a boat but never anything else - so - his suggestion was to take it to a local shop and try to get their opinion on repairs and cost as this may turn out to be a big job and may only be necessary for "looks".

If there is no local RV/Camper repair shop near by maybe there is a boat sales/repair shop that may be able to help you - either with a cost to repair or a shop that does that sort of repair.

If it is determined there is no structural damage maybe you can think of a way to "camouflage" the damage?

My daughter even suggested asking someone at a Corvette repair shop for advice seeing as how they have to repair this "type" of stuff on Corvettes.

Hope you and your family are able to go camping soon.

I need to clean and repair canvas and screens on 1976 Coleman Popup camper. I am also having problems with bunk slide outs and with cranking. The canvas is very dirty; not much mildew; need to resew at the door. The screens are brittle, cracked. Can slideouts be removed and gliders lubed? Same for the cranks? any advice greatly appreciated.

Shirley from Sandusky, OH

Answers

SIMPLE GREEN should clean the canvas with no problem even if there is a lot of mildew on it...something else I've discovered that cleans mildew is DOW SCRUBBING BUBBLES BATHROOM CLEANER believe it or not!! My son bought a 1969 Chevy station wagon that literally had sat in a field for about 20 yrs. and I'm talking major mildew here!! I did the entire inside of the car with the scrubbing bubbles and it looks like new! If the company knew how well it works for that, they would probably charge much more for the product!
We bought an old Scotty camper many years ago and the awning was horrible looking and smelly with so much mildew..used simple green and looked like new.

As far as repairing the canvas, I notice that you live in Ohio...are there any Amish people near you that you could ask about sewing it?? We had a Starcraft pop-up many, many years ago and it was torn around the screen windows on each end where the beds pulled out and they were able to sew it; did not charge a lot either.
Good luck with it, and happy camping!

http://www.popu  ult.asp?CAT_ID=1

Please check out this site. There is an unbelievable amount of help available to pup'ers there. And the guys are really funny to boot! :-)

Anonymous

We live in NJ and just bought a used pop up trailer. The screens on each side need to be either replaced or repaired. Any thoughts on where to go for either one. So far we found one place but they want over $500.00 to just repaire it. Is it easier to just buy new.

Please advise.

I have a 1986 Coleman Sunvalley pop up. The posi-action control handle that controls whether the pop up is cranking up or down snapped off. Do I need to replace the whole winch system, the whole crank shaft, or just have someone fabricate a new lever? I am unable to get Coleman parts.
Thank you.

The track holding the canvas wall up is starting to break. I am trying to figure out how tough it would be to replace just the plastic track that holds up the canvas wall of our 1996 Jayco Pop Up trailer, and where I could find a length? Any info welcome. It's still holding, but breaking at one end, and eventually we are going to need to replace it.

What is the average cost to rebuild the top of a 24ft pop up camper's roof?

The zip up plastic vinyl screen cover in my pop up camper is torn and falling apart. I'm trying to figure out how to fix it or replace it. I am interested in any other ideas on what I could use instead of using the plastic vinyl and having it be zippers. I need something to replace it, that will keep me warm at night, but that can be removed during the day for air and light. Is there another material I could use? Could I glue on Velcro strips instead?

How can I replace a the rear roof section top? The wood has taken in moisture and the bracket mount screws have failed. Thank you.

Answers

You can try a great DIY RV site. Check through the many fix-it projects and ask questions.

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/

Also try RV.net-A huge and very helpful question, answer, tips, etc., site for all types of RVs. Ask your question on the Tent-Trailer section.

Anonymous

i had the same problem several years ago. i cranked down the roof 1/2 way and while the bed was slid in, i pushed back the fabric, removed the dry rot, inserted another piece of wood. We found it better to put the bracket back on with a nut & bolt configuration than just screws. The nuts show from the outside, but we don't care. Works great now.

We are refurbishing an old pop-up. I am looking for any neat ideas to do with the interior.

Kimberley Monroe from FL

Answers

Here are two great popup forums to help you get started: http://www.popupexplorer.com and http://www.popupportal.com . Both these sites have great members who have loads of ideas, some of whom have also refurbished their own older pop ups. Good luck and have a great time with your new-to-you camper!

i recently covered up the icky old linoleum in my bathroom with stick on floor tiles from family dollar. a box costs 10 dollars and they look nice. a box was much more than enuf so im sure you could use it for maybe 2 places.

Severe winds have bent all 4 support extensions to raise the roof on our '98 Jayco popup, which is causing it to lean to one side and leaving a large gap between the canvas frame and the door. Are these support extensions repairable or replaceable?
Help!

Answers

A very simple online search for "Jayco parts" produced many good replies. You can try a search yourself and the Jayco Parts Online catalogue:

http://search.a  s+catalog+online

I need to repair the metal slide on my popup camper. It is slightly bent making it difficult to slide the end in. This model no longer has replacement parts for it that I can find. The local RV shops do not seem interested in getting paid to do it either. Any suggestions?

By William

Answers

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer-Dutchmen RV? The site offers its phone (no 800#) and email:

http://dutchmen.com/
(574) 537-0600
contactus AT dutchmen.com

They may be able to help you for a part or repair of the slide.

How do I repair a crank lift system on a Dutchman pop up camper? Only 3 of the 4 lifts will come up.

By Janie B.

Answers

Go to ....StarCraft.com and then click onto ...Repair parts. They have information and parts there.

I will also have to replace one roof post on my 2000 Rockwood tent trailer. I will have to unscrew the bed rail and unscrew the aluminium plate over the wall and unscrew the post at the top and I think I will be able to pull up the posts from the wall. Camille

We have popped one of our lift cables on our 2002 Coleman pop-up. We are somewhat handy; has anyone repaired this? If so, how complicated is it?
Also, I am not finding specific lengths for the cables, are these "universal"?

I am looking to see what it should cost to professionally repair the fiberglass siding of an older pop up camper. There is damage to the two front corners.

Thanks!

Answers

I have a 2006 Jayco pop up camper. While camping, a kid decided it would be fun to hang on the center support bar that holds up the tent on one of the beds. The hoop that you put the pole through on the roof broke off of the center space bar on the ceiling. Does anyone know if that is repairable?

How do you find and replace the bed canopy pipe that holds up the canvas over the popup's bed chamber?

My wife and I have a 1995 Coleman Chesapeake pop up camper. I am not sure of the part I have a question about, but I will describe the situation I am having. The metal pipe that sticks out of the pop up that you put the handle into that cranks the pop up open and closed has broken. I am not sure what this part is called and if it can be replaced.

Also, in trying to investigate this I wanted to take off the back panel that surrounds this broken pipe, but it seems that there are special types of screws keeping it together. I did some research and I believe they are called tri-wing screws which if that is what they are require a tri-wing screwdriver to take them out. Any help with any of this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

How do you repair the bracket that cabinets use to slide in a pop-up? The white bracket that the upper cabinet slides on broke at the place where it meets the ceiling in my pop-up. Any suggestions?

I have a 1995 Coleman popup, Cedar. Somehow I pulled the bed all the way out past the stops. I cannot figure out for the life of me how to get the bed back in and over the stops. Anyone know how this is done? I think my plastic slides are shot and that's what allowed this to happen. I just can't figure out how to get the bed back over the stops and into the rails. Help!

My queen bed falls out of the tract, the wood portion. I am always putting it back in when I close my pop-up trailer. I am worried it is going to come out while someone is on it. What can I do to fix it so this can stop happening?

Answers

RV.net is a very large site dedicated to any type of camper and ideas for repair, modify, etc. The address below will take you directly to the fold-up or pop up camper section. You can join the site (free) and then ask your questions in the folder camper section. Many people have "been there before" and may be able to help you. All around great site!!!

http://www.thri  -Camper-Bed.html

I have 98 rockwood premier popup. I need to repair the wood in the top section. The wood is rotted due to water seeping in from where the roof and top wall meet. The caulk must not have been applied properly. The arms that hold the roof up in one corner is starting to bend do to the lack of support. Does anybody know if I can take this to someone who can repair it. Also once I get it fixed I want to clean the mold on the canvas, but it seems to be in the middle of the canvas. Is there something that can get into the middle of the canvas and clean the mold. Can I order new canvas. Can anybody help?

Ruben from Hammond, IN

Answers

Take it to Shipshewanna Indiana. There is a place right on the main highway-not to far down from the Super 8 hotel.
The guy there strips old RV, campers and popups and resells the parts. He can see what you need, talk you through how to do it. If he doesn't have what you need, he can find it for you, or send you to a local Amishman who can fix it.
Just don't go on a Tuesday--traffic will be bad due to the flea market--unless you get there early and beat the traffic.

I can replace all of the grey plastic slide guides on my popup camper, except the one on the right rear. The reason is there is no way to get behind the guide to fasten/hold the nut that I can figure out, unless I completely remove the bed platform. I really do not want to do that. As that side does not actually glide into anything as the other three do, is there any real need for this glide?

By Dorian