Epsom Salts for Roses

Category Roses
This guide is about epsom salts for roses. Roses like magnesium. If you already feed you roses a balanced fertilizer containing magnesium, you probably don't need to add any extra to your soil.

This is the view from my kitchen table. Once a month, starting when I notice new growth, I water my roses with 2 TBSP. Epsom Salts to 3 gallons of water. Aren't they beautiful?

By Tanya from Winchester, TN

Wow, they're gorgeous! thanks for the tip. I've used it before but only once a season. Now I know to do it once a month. ")

Question:

I've heard that Epsom salts are good for roses. How much of it should I use and how often? Do you have any other suggestions for care of roses?

Thank you.
Mary from Redding, CA

Answer:

Rose growers sometimes use Epsom salt in order to add magnesium to the soil. Roses tend to be heavy feeders of magnesium, but if you already feed you roses a balanced fertilizer containing magnesium, you probably don't need to add any to your soil. A soil test is the only way to tell for sure. If you do need it, sprinkle a couple of teaspoons around each bush once a month before watering. Any more and you could risk hurting your plants. Follow these general tips for raising good roses:
  1. When planting, older varieties tend to be hardier, so do potted vs. bare-root roses.
  2. Roses should be planted in the late spring and early summer to give roots time to develop before winter.
  3. Plant roses in rich, well-drained soil with a pH between 5.5 to 7.
  4. Planting holes need to be at least 2 1/2 times the size of the root ball.
  5. Give roses a good, deep soaking (4-5 gallons) once per week.
  6. Feed roses lightly (but often) from spring until 6-8 weeks before your first frost.
  7. Keep canes healthy by following a regular pruning and maintenance schedule according to the rose type (bush, tree, climbing).

since I'm not eating roses, nor planting edibles around them, I broke down and made one exception to my Organic Garden, applying "systemic Rose spray" to my rose bush in the Spring. I got no

black spot, but even though I used fertilizer/banana

peelings, and Epsom Salts, I got NOT A SINGLE BLOOM, just some average looking canes with avg. growth of leaves...UNTIL I APPLIED used COFFEE GROUNDS to the clay soil it's planted in.

If it weren't Fall, I believe the poor rose bush might just sprout buds, since it's greened up at all the ends of the canes, adding more leaves there. I plan to plant a couple of water bottles to see if it was uneven water or drainage that prevented blooms.

I know it is best to prune on Valentine's Day each year, and perhaps I will finally find the secret one

day next Spring. To help in my frustration, I found

a wonderful large silk rose plant/flowers at the Dollar Store ON SALE for next to nothing, and placed it near the bottom within the bush. Unconsciously I

feel BETTER. LOL, but it insulted the bush, I'm certain. I'm NOT taking it out until it blooms on its own. : ) God HELP the rose bush.