Epsom Salts for Roses

Category Roses
A bowl of epsom salts, spilling onto a wooden surface.
This guide is about epsom salts for roses. Roses like magnesium. If you already feed you roses a balanced fertilizer containing magnesium, you probably don't need to add any extra to your soil.

This is the view from my kitchen table. Once a month, starting when I notice new growth, I water my roses with 2 TBSP. Epsom Salts to 3 gallons of water. Aren't they beautiful?

By Tanya from Winchester, TN

Read 9 Comments

Question:

I've heard that Epsom salts are good for roses. How much of it should I use and how often? Do you have any other suggestions for care of roses?

Thank you.
Mary from Redding, CA

Answer:

Rose growers sometimes use Epsom salt in order to add magnesium to the soil. Roses tend to be heavy feeders of magnesium, but if you already feed you roses a balanced fertilizer containing magnesium, you probably don't need to add any to your soil. A soil test is the only way to tell for sure. If you do need it, sprinkle a couple of teaspoons around each bush once a month before watering. Any more and you could risk hurting your plants. Follow these general tips for raising good roses:
  1. When planting, older varieties tend to be hardier, so do potted vs. bare-root roses.
  2. Roses should be planted in the late spring and early summer to give roots time to develop before winter.
  3. Plant roses in rich, well-drained soil with a pH between 5.5 to 7.
  4. Planting holes need to be at least 2 1/2 times the size of the root ball.
  5. Give roses a good, deep soaking (4-5 gallons) once per week.
  6. Feed roses lightly (but often) from spring until 6-8 weeks before your first frost.
  7. Keep canes healthy by following a regular pruning and maintenance schedule according to the rose type (bush, tree, climbing).
Read 11 Comments