Training a Dog to Bark to Go Outside

I have the cutest miniature Pekingese that you have ever seen. I got her when she was 2 months old. She is now 9 months, and still has not mastered potty training. We've tried everything and if you take her outside she's OK, but she won't bark to tell you that she needs to go outside.

By Glenda from Bellevill, IL

I like to go to this site.

There are lots of articles and podcasts and ebooks about house training, and I think clicker training would work for this dog. Let me know how it goes! Robyn

We have 2 dogs and neither one of them barks to go out. One of the dogs lays his head on my lap when he wants out and the other one just stares at me when she wants to go out. Maybe your dog is giving you a signal in his own way when he wants out.

We trained our dog to ring a bell hung on the door. Every time when he was little we touched the bell and opened the door. Eventually, he learned to nozzle the bell w/his nose and then we come and open it. Works great. Not a big bell. It hangs on a string.

I agree with Patty. Dogs are not born to bark when they want something especially a potty break. As she has gotten away with going in the house at times, you will need to first clean and neutralize the areas she used with something like Nature's Miracle.

Your next move will be to limit her in the house to the point where YOU can watch her. Using either a crate or a room like the kitchen with hard flooring, you will need to learn her habits and schedule by watching her closely. Do not punish her if you see her squat in the house, simply rush her out the door to the spot where she will potty. Punishing her will only cause her to sneak off and hide to go in the house.

If you feed her at regular times every day and then take her out she will quickly learn what is expected. Just go out with her at first and make it a fun and pleasant time and you will be surprised how quickly she will learn. Never lose your temper and they do not always bark to go out. mine used to just stand and stare at me. Lots of luck! Regular feeding times are very important, no in- between food!

Also agree that they don't always bark to go out; ours either puts her head in our lap or does a sit by the kitchen back door.

Your little Peke also has a little bladder ( and digestive system)--not a far stretch to guesstimate that within 15-20 minutes of drinking or eating, your furbaby will be ready for a trip outside.

When you get the dog out there and she goes--praise profusely, using whatever name for the bodily function you use. With repetition, it will get to the point that you can take her out at her

"appointed" time and say, "Go pee" or "Go poop"--and the dog will go to the bathroom on command.

We're senior citizens--every pup we've had over the years has been able to learn this, no matter what breed, purebred or mix, puppy or older dog.

Good luck--there really is no trick to the potty thing except being consistent so the dog doesn't get confused--and watching for whatever signal the dog will use to get your attention.

Pets Dogs House TrainingJanuary 17, 2010
Dog Barking
Training Dog to Not Bark at Other Dogs
pug in a crate
Crate Training a Dog
Almond Bark
Storing Almond Bark
Pug looking guilty.
Training a Dog to Poop on a Training Pad