How Do I Start a Residential and Commercial Cleaning Service?

I am starting a cleaning service and I want to do commercial and residential. I will be working from 3 pm, since I have to wait for my boyfriend to stay with the kids. How can I manage my clients with my time especially residential which requires day time? Besides that I need to get residential clients first to get commercial cleaning supplies and equipment like backpack vacuum and stuff. Any ideas?

By tindor from Beltsville, MD

I think you can actually promote the fact that you do night time residential cleaning. Some people want to have a cleaning service, but want to be at home when the cleaning person is there. Offering evening appointments would accommodate those people. Good luck!

Well, you'll be in luck with commercial cleaning. Many banks, restaurants, and offices prefer to have cleaning performed at night. In order to get into commercial cleaning, however, you HAVE to get bonded & insured. There may be a few restaraunts that will not worry about it, but most want you to have legit credentials. Residential cleaning is a bit easier to break into especially if you have good references. If you are brand new to the business, I suggest you ask a few close friends and neighbors if you can clean their houses free of charge & in return provide a good ref for your potential paying clients. Unfortunately, most clients want you there during working hours (8-5) and be gone before they get home. A few may want to be there the first couple of times, but it usually isnt too common. With the hours you give, your looking at 3-5 maybe 3-6. So a 2-3 hour shift. If your by yourself, you are not going to get much done...maybe a small 750-1000 sq ft home with just the basics done. More people cleaning with you = larger house in the same amount of time. Advertise "limited space available, afternoon slots going fast" That way they know pm is what you've got & you don't have to explain lol! You could def try to advertise eves and nightime for residential. I'm sure there are a few RNs working the graveyard shift who would love to come home to a clean house. Perhaps pass a business card around at your local hospital & see what turns up! Good luck!

-a fellow Residential Housecleaner for 5 years

Business and Legal BusinessApril 7, 2011
Canceling Cable and Phone Service
Advice on Canceling Cable and Phone Service
Cleaning Windows
Cleaning Lawn Service Chemicals from Windows
A female house cleaner.
Finding House Cleaning Service
A man cutting down a tree.
Selling Trees on Your Land for Lumber