Do I Use a Preservative in Homemade Dog Biscuits?

When making dog biscuits, do you use a preservative, and if so, what is it?

By Sandy from Hardy, VA

I have never heard of using a preservative in dog biscuits but I would google it, look at all the recipes and then decide from there which to make, etc. I have seen lots of recipes on line for making your own cat and dog food which is FAR healthier than that bought at stores, and none of these have any preservatives in them.

The whole point of making homemade biscuits is not to use preservatives. It is healthier that way. My two daughters own a dog bandana business and they go to fairs and dog walks. They also sell a lot of homemade dog biscuits at these events. My daughter keeps them in the fridge at home. This keeps them fresh and they don't mold because this is what happens to them if they don't have preservatives in them and are not kept cool. You can also freeze them if you make a big batch which is what they do. Then take out what you need. They thaw quickly. So, my advice is. Don't use any preservatives just love and put them in a zip bag and fridge them.

I bake and sell pet treats at local craft fairs. While my treats don't last as long as commercial ones, they are much healthier. Mainly because I don't use preservatives. You can vacuum seal or freeze em to make them last longer.

Rosemary is a natural preservative used in organic dog food. You should probably use sparingly or do some research to ensure you don't put your dog at risk. Animals have far more food intolerance allergies than humans.

Homemade Dog Biscuits
Homemade Dog Biscuits
Pets Dogs Dog Food RecipesOctober 12, 2010
Buttermilk Biscuits
Buttermilk Biscuits Recipes
Biscuits made from scratch.
Making Biscuits From Scratch
Leftover Biscuits
Uses for Leftover Biscuits
Washing dishes with dish soap.
Preservative Free Dish Soap
🎄