Removing Plastic Wall Anchors

I'm getting ready to repaint and have taken down all wall hangings. They will not be placed as they are now. I wonder if I could use an electric drill to remove plastic wall anchors, drill in a bit and then reverse to pull out the anchor? These anchors have wide heads and cannot be hammered into the wall and spackled over.

Handygirl from Springfield, IL

Answers

When I painted my bathroom a while ago, there were several of the wall anchors left in the walls by previous owners. I used a utility knife to cut around the head to loosen any paint. Then I used a Phillips head screwdriver and turned it remove the anchor. They usually aren't too hard to pull out since the wall they are in doesn't offer much support. (If it did, an anchor wouldn't be necessary!) I then filled in the hole with spackle, let dry 24 hours and lightly sanded. Since my wall was textured it didn't take to much. The wall looked like there had never been a hole in it.

September 12, 2008 Flag

I am taking down some heavy pictures that were hung on a screw with the plastic support (not sure what it's called) in the wall. Since I am moving, should I remove those plastic pieces and fill in the hole, hammer them lightly into the wall and then fill them, or just leave them? I don't think just leaving them for the next owners would be appropriate but I want to do the best thing.

Thanks for any advice!

Kim from WI

Answers:

Plastic Wall Anchors

If you have a bit of "touch-up" paint that you can leave for the new owner then it`s best to leave the "plugs" where they are. The new owner may be able to make use of them exactly where they are and if not; they can be removed and the area "touched up". This actually happened to me. (10/18/2006)

By Mairmie

Plastic Wall Anchors

I would leave them in. For all you know, the new owners may decide to hang a picture in exactly the same place, or put up new pictures to cover them. (10/18/2006)

By Cathy

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Repair HomeSeptember 12, 2008
Mounting a Spice Rack on Your Wall, Spice rack hanging on a wall.
Mounting a Spice Rack on Your Wall
Young boy sitting on a step ladder cleaning a wall.
Homemade Wall Cleaner Recipes
abstract tree wall decal
Making Vinyl Wall Decals
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 4:36:58 AM on 10.0.1.55 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.