Feeding Birds in Snow

This is a seasonal tip that I used last week, and hope that it will be a while before I use it again. But when there is heavy snow falling for hours, the feed that I put out for the birds (and the squirrels) disappears under the snow. I use large trays to feed the birds on the ground. When they fill up with snow, just dump the snow and any bird seed left in the trays and set the tray down in a new spot. Put additional seed out on the bare ground where the tray was and also refill the tray. Any seed that you have dumped in the snow will be there for the birds when the snow melts and they still have something to eat. They need the food to generate body heat to keep warm in the cold temperatures.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, AR

Feeding Birds in Snow

This is related and about taking care of birds. It's almost time (about mid-March) to start saving drier lint and hairs from cleaning your brush; this stuff is needed and used by birds to build their spring nests. I just use one of the bags grocery stores put grapes in (it's plastic with holes and a zip lock top). This bag goes near the bird feeder so birds take what they need.

Harlean, we have a lot of cats in the neighbord that would endanger our feathered friends. So, hubby makes hanging feeders with empty milk jugs. Doesn't look elegant, but what do the birds care?

AuburnCheryl, thanks for the reminder about hair and such. Since I don't use dryer sheets, I'd better start gathering! Better the birds use it than it go into the landfill!

Very creative!

Photos WildlifeFebruary 22, 2011
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice, Man Cleaning Snow and Ice off of Windshield
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice
Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
How to Shovel Snow, Man Shoveling Snow
Shoveling Snow
Snow Ice Cream
Snow Ice Cream Recipes
🎄
🍂