Deleting Linux from My Computer

I am having a terrible time deleting a program in my computer. It is Linux. I have tried everything. I do not know much about computers and so when they tell me in computer language, I am lost. Has anyone had this problem and deleted Linux successfully? Can you explain in plain language how you do it? I no longer have the CD. Thank you in advance.

By Carole from MI

When dealing with computers, you really should get familiar with basic terms, because there is no other way to describe what you mean. Whoever has heard of a hard drive before computers were invented. Or operating system. Linux is an operating system, as is Windows. The computer won't work without an operating system. You can't erase files that the computer is using. So if you are using Linux, there is no way to erase it.

What you can do is use another operating system to replace it. So for example if you have a Windows instalation disk, you can put that into your CD or DVD drive and boot from that and you will be led in a series of questions what you want to do. Replace Linux or just add Windows so you can boot from either one.

Some computers allow you to reformat the hard drive, but then you still will need an operating system to re-install so it will work. I hope this helps. If not just ask me specific questions and I will try to answer.

Ohmyback explained it very well. I will recap with fewer words.

Linux is the operating system like Windows on other computers. You need it or Windows for your PC to work.

You can delete Linux from either a Windows CD or a boot disk. Either one would need to be in your computer before you turn it on.

Since you are not very PC savy I suggest you find a teenager or a PC savvy friend to help you out. They may even have Windows to install on your PC for you.

Recap done - extra info:

If you have to buy Windows make sure you buy a version your PC can handle.

And before you start or someone else starts make sure you save what you need off your PC. Things like documents, music and pictures. List popular programs & make sure you have the software to re-install them. Make sure you have the registration keys for the programs if they require them.

If you have questins contact me.

I guess I don't understand why you are trying to delete it. Erasing files when you don't know what they are for is a good way to really screw up the whole system. It is like leaving the baking soda out of a recipe because you didn't realize you needed it for rising the batter.

Did you get the computer from someone else already set up? Usually Linux is not on basic computers, as it is a little more advanced to use than Windows (or a Mac, my personal preference!) If you can use the computer for email, the internet and the other basic uses, I would just leave it alone.

I second the "find a helpful teenager" idea. If you have a local community college or even a high school, you might be able to get someone to help fix you up. Or maybe a younger family member who would be thrilled to earn a bit of cash.

I used to work for Kinko's in college and many, many, many people don't understand computers or terminology. There is no shame in that, everyone is an expert in something, and even computer experts today will be out of touch if they don't keep learning the newer technologies as they come out. If you are interested in expanding your knowledge, there are often "senior" classes in basic computer skills through your local community college.

Good luck and please ask us more questions, if you need. You have at least three people who will help you translate right here. You can also send any of us a personal message directly through ThriftyFun, just click on our names above our feedback.

Linux is an operating system. You don't mention whether Windows is on your computer or not.

That's important to know, because if you don't have Windows on your PC, deleting Linux will make your PC unusable. You'd have to install Windows from scratch, which isn't an easy thing to do.

I'm using Linux - it's a stable operating system, you never have to worry about viruses, and it hardly ever crashes the way Windows does. So why not just use and enjoy it? :-)

I want to thank everyone that replied to my dilemma. I would leave Linux in if my printer would work with it. Does anyone know what kind of printer would work with linux? Maybe I will just get a printer on ebay instead of messing up my computer. Thanks so much!

I don't have Linux, so I don't know this for sure but I believe that nearly all printers will work on all operating systems. I think you just need to install the correct driver. (That is the piece of software that translates what your computer is asking for to what your printer is doing). I would go to the website for your printer (Epson, Canon, or whatever type you have) and do a search for the model and Linux drivers. It should be pretty basic. Maybe Wild Irish or someone else can verify whether or not that makes sense.

Good Luck!

Computers SoftwareJanuary 22, 2010
downloading a file
Deleting a Downloaded File
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
Computer
Tips to Speed Up Your Computer
🎄
🍂