Lessons Learned from Hurricane Dolly

Having just survived Hurricane Dolly, I discovered a couple of things we should do to be prepared if we have to evacuate. Photos and an inventory of all your belongings is important and should be put on disc, which I have been lax in doing.

Also, in a "bag to be grabbed" should be copies of your User Guides for appliances, etc. When I purchase an item I staple the receipt to the book and keep them all in a large ziplock bag. I need to put these items with the pictures and VCR tapes of personal family experiences. (I also haven't put them on CD's as I don't know how to do it) Also, copies of insurance policies should be there too.

I was lucky and didn't have any major damage except for a bowed vinyl fence, which is fixable. A lot of neighbors lost shingles and the whole area suffered wind, flooding and power outages for several days. I guess we don't think about this until it happens to us.

By Ruth from Harlingen, TX

Tree Fallen on House After Hurricane
Preparing for a Hurricane
Home and Garden Emergency Hurricanes and TyphoonsAugust 10, 2008
Closeup of a woman playing keyboard
Saving Money on Music Lessons
damaged house
Hurricane Damage Photos
Woman Picking Vegetable from her  Garden
Lessons from the Garden
Depression Era Bank
Frugal Living Lessons from the Great Depression