Microwave Cooking Tips

Following a few simple tips can improve the way you use your microwave. This is a guide about microwave cooking tips.

March 4, 2010 Flag

I suppose this is only a funny tip on dealing with your microwave without losing your mind. A couple nights ago, I innocently pushed the 'Start' button as usual, when the screen suddenly said "Child." After staring at it dumbfounded for about a minute, hubby was called in to see if I might be mis-reading it. Nope, still said "Child."

I took a photo, reset it again, and now it's back to only numbers. And no, before you ask, it does NOT say 'Potato' when I try to cook one. That's just disturbing! It's never shown letters of the alphabet before.

Haven't a clue what it meant by that message, but I had the strangest feeling my over-used microwave just insulted me somehow. However, if it starts calling me 'Mom" I'm going back to using the stove.

By Mary from Mountain Pine, AR

Editor's Note: We did a little research and it sounds like the child lock was accidentally activated. This is usually done by hitting the start button 3 or 4 times, depending on your model.

Well I guess a lot of us learned something with your experience. I never knew there were child locks on a microwave.

Yes, it is a child safety lock. With ours, we have to push "start" steadily for 5 seconds. With two small autistic kids, I know most safety features, such as locks and overrides on our electronics.

Most newer things have locks or emergency shut off/ shut down features. Irons have a feature that will turn itself off if it falls or is lying flat for more than a few seconds. Stoves moved their dials to the top. Washers and dryers have lock features, too.

Even trunks (boots) of automobiles have a latch that will glow in the dark and instantly release if pulled if a child (GOD FORBID) ever crawls inside. Every summer there is at least one death of a child like that.

Check either your appliance handbooks or wander about in your newer appliance stores, you will see these features.

That would scare the heck out of me! Makes sense after someone explained there was a child lock on it.

Maybe someone can explain when my printer for my computer is shut off, on occasion it acts like it is in position to print, making the noise it does when you are going to print and then stops. first time it did this, it scared me. It has happened several times since.

March 9, 2010 Flag

Several times, I used the microwave oven, only to have pitted "microwavable bowls," and the inside of the microwave, a food mess.

I discovered on my own, to use a smaller "heat" setting for a longer period of time.

If a product says "heat on high for 5 minutes," and I know it will splatter all over the microwave, and pit the microwaveable bowl, instead, I will reduce the "temperature," or setting to about 4% or 3% on my microwave, and increase the cooking time. At the end of cooking, if the food still needs cooking, I will give it a final 100% "blast" for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Of course, this depends on your microwave oven, and may be done with a 60%, 70%, or more "blast."

Over the years, I have bought "microwave safe plastics" only to have them get pitted and deformed by following the cooking instructions, and the pitting and deforming makes them harder to clean.

One day, my husband and I bought some of these microwaveable plastics at a Walmart store, and the cashier remarked that hers always got ruined, and what an expense. We were in a hurry, and I didn't answer, but later that day, I called the manager, and explained the lower heat settings on the microwave.

If my microwave is set at 50% (5) it will splatter, so I started using 40%, and 30%, and increasing the cooking times for splattering foods. I don't have it down to a science, but I have found that by reducing the power to 40% or 30%, and depending on the food, giving it a final short blast at a higher heat, stops my microwaveable plastics from getting those nasty pits in them, and also stops all of that unsightly mess, and time-consuming cleaning of the microwave, using more cleaning products.

I usually increase the cooking time by one minute or so, more if the food is refrigerated, it takes experimentation, and I do this by cooking in increments of several seconds at a time, like 10 or 20 seconds toward the end of heating, depending on what I'm heating up.

I hope I helped someone today.

By Carol L. from South Bend, IN

Do not use any plastic, plastic wrap, plastic containers, ect. in the microwave. The microwave breaks down the plastic composition in bowls, wraps, even the cute little "steam your veggies packages" now on the market. Plastic contains many nasty cancer causing chemicals like dehp. While i am not a chemist a good friend of mine works in the medical field designing iv tubing and other related items. We use plastic iv tubing in the USA which is banned in Europe. Plastic baby bottles which contain dehp have finally been removed, long after they knew there were problems. Some of these chemicals will stunt kid's growth, and cause reproductive issues!

I use corning ware type dishes, wax paper. Also don't stand near the microwave while it's on. I love my microwave, but use it safely too. Of course it's big $$$ money in all the wraps, and ready dishes to be nuked.

March 5, 2007 Flag

Hey! Want to start cooking the 21st Century way, and leave all that 18th Century drudgery behind? Want a cleaner, cooler and sweat free kitchen?

April 29, 2005 Flag

To determine whether or not a dish is microwave safe, put 1 cup water into a glass measuring cup. Place the measuring cup in the microwave in the dish being tested. Then microwave at high for 1 minute. If the dish being tested is warm and the water cool, the dish is unsafe.

November 14, 2009 Flag

I am looking for instructions for microwave pressure cooker, as ours arrived without any. Thanks.

By Rick from Cambridge, England

Once I rec'd a small appliance as a gift, and it had no instructions. I searched online for the manufacturer, and contacted them (I think I called, but e-mail will probably work, too). I explained what happened; they were very friendly and immediately sent me a manual. You should give it a try!

Ok Folks, Here's what I found out by experimentation and observation. I looked all over the place and the best I can figure "There is no such thing as an instruction manual for the goofy cooker, only that flimsy cook book. I took it completely apart and noted how it was designed. It is not, in fact, a, true pressure cooker it just trap a bit of steam at a very low pressure and speed cooking just a bit. It cannot blow up!

So here is how it works:

1) Note there are slotted holes in the black knob, line them up with handles.

2) put in water and ingredients lock lid down with black latches and cook as necessary.

3) Remove from micro and turn black knob 1/4 turn to let off steam and let stand a minute or so.

4) Unlock lid and carefully remove and check or eat food. Voila!

This product is just a doo-dah gadget that helps a bit, maybe!

There are some basic ratios on this post:

October 6, 2004 Flag

Could you start a section on microwave cooking? I am trying to conserve on my utilities, and I live alone, so I thought that cooking with my microwave would be a thrifty idea. Thank-you, Delinda Editor's Note: Sounds like a good idea. We have added a Microwave Cooking category to the recipes section, and a guide to collect all the tips together. We also have several guides with microwave recipes. If anyone has any tips or recipes, feel free to post them below or submit them using the Share option at the top of the page.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Well, I don't trust microwaving.... I am still in the state of mind that it can't be healthy. But I looked up and found some web pages that may help:

http://www.microwavecookingforone.com/ scroll way down on the left is an area with a list of recipes.

http://www.goodnuke.com/ more info and recipes

But please be sure to at least think about this one.

i love the microwave for "the kids" but could you please post pictures with the recipie

4 things we love cooking in the microwave, they can all be made for just one person:

Ramen Noodles

hot dogs

hamburger patties

frozen .99 cent pizzas (Totinos is one brand)

It's actually pretty good! Like a pizza burrito!

February 18, 2011 Flag

I am looking for a recipe book for my microwave pressure cooker.

By Hazel from Blackpool, England

Recipes & instruction cards for Tupperware, unsure of your brand:

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/t ... rowave-pressure-cooker-recipe-cards/

Their site also has some other microwave manuals listed at:

Search the page for 'microwave' as it's a long list.

I hope one of these resources helps you. Otherwise, you may search for your brand name, product name, and 'manual' - there seem to be manuals available online for lots of things.

February 16, 2007 Flag

Soften brown sugar: place apple slice in bag, close tightly with string or scotch tape, microwave on high about 15 seconds. Toasting coconut: place coconut in 9 inch glass pie plate, microwave on high for 4 minutes, tossing with fork after each minute.

October 9, 2004 Flag

There are traits unique to microwave cooking that affect how evenly and safely food is cooked. "Cold spots" can occur because of the irregular way the microwaves enter the oven and are absorbed by the food. If food does not cook evenly, bacteria may survive and cause foodborne illness. Simple techniques ensure that meat and poultry microwave safely.

February 18, 2011 Flag

I recently received a 10 cup microwave pressure cooker and I need to find some recipes to use it, preferably to make dinners more than for desserts.

By Misty from Englewood, FL

Recipes for Microwave Pressure Cooker

There is a recipe book for a 10 cup microwave pressure cooker made by NordicWare. I got one a few years ago and although it wasn't listed on their website catalog they sent me one for about $3 plus shipping.
Good luck!

By ale1253

Recipes for Microwave Pressure Cooker

Adding on, Recipelink.com has microwave pressure cooker recipes. A search of "Tender Cooker" (the name of the NordicWare model) comes up with several good ones; things like roast pork with sauerkraut. If you're concerned about any difference in the two brands, try something inexpensive like a bean recipe. Since they are the same size, I don't think there will be any problems! (12/18/2010)

By ale1253

December 17, 2010 Flag

I have a MicroMaster microwave pressure cooker. Unfortunately, the recipe brochure that came with it is pretty spartan. Would anyone have other recipe ideas for this cooker? I'd sure like to start using it soon. Thanks so much.

Mandy C.

By Mandy from Bethel Park, PA

Food and Recipes Food Tips Microwave CookingJanuary 29, 2013
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Using Plastic in the Microwave
Potatoes on a plate in the microwave.
Cooking a Potato in the Microwave
Corn cooked in the microwave.
Cooking Corn on the Cob in a Microwave