Microwave Cooking Tips

Following a few simple tips can improve the way you use your microwave. This is a guide about microwave cooking tips.

Microwave
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Microwave Says "Child" On DisplayI suppose this is only a funny tip on dealing with your microwave without losing your mind. A couple nights ago, I innocently pushed the 'Start' button as usual, when the screen suddenly said "Child." After staring at it dumbfounded for about a minute, hubby was called in to see if I might be mis-reading it. Nope, still said "Child."

I took a photo, reset it again, and now it's back to only numbers. And no, before you ask, it does NOT say 'Potato' when I try to cook one. That's just disturbing! It's never shown letters of the alphabet before.

Haven't a clue what it meant by that message, but I had the strangest feeling my over-used microwave just insulted me somehow. However, if it starts calling me 'Mom" I'm going back to using the stove.

By Mary from Mountain Pine, AR

Editor's Note: We did a little research and it sounds like the child lock was accidentally activated. This is usually done by hitting the start button 3 or 4 times, depending on your model.

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Microwave Safety TipsSeveral times, I used the microwave oven, only to have pitted "microwavable bowls," and the inside of the microwave, a food mess.

I discovered on my own, to use a smaller "heat" setting for a longer period of time.

If a product says "heat on high for 5 minutes," and I know it will splatter all over the microwave, and pit the microwaveable bowl, instead, I will reduce the "temperature," or setting to about 4% or 3% on my microwave, and increase the cooking time. At the end of cooking, if the food still needs cooking, I will give it a final 100% "blast" for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Of course, this depends on your microwave oven, and may be done with a 60%, 70%, or more "blast."

Over the years, I have bought "microwave safe plastics" only to have them get pitted and deformed by following the cooking instructions, and the pitting and deforming makes them harder to clean.

One day, my husband and I bought some of these microwaveable plastics at a Walmart store, and the cashier remarked that hers always got ruined, and what an expense. We were in a hurry, and I didn't answer, but later that day, I called the manager, and explained the lower heat settings on the microwave.

If my microwave is set at 50% (5) it will splatter, so I started using 40%, and 30%, and increasing the cooking times for splattering foods. I don't have it down to a science, but I have found that by reducing the power to 40% or 30%, and depending on the food, giving it a final short blast at a higher heat, stops my microwaveable plastics from getting those nasty pits in them, and also stops all of that unsightly mess, and time-consuming cleaning of the microwave, using more cleaning products.

I usually increase the cooking time by one minute or so, more if the food is refrigerated, it takes experimentation, and I do this by cooking in increments of several seconds at a time, like 10 or 20 seconds toward the end of heating, depending on what I'm heating up.

I hope I helped someone today.

By Carol L. from South Bend, IN

I am looking for instructions for microwave pressure cooker, as ours arrived without any. Thanks.

By Rick from Cambridge, England

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Recipes & instruction cards for Tupperware, unsure of your brand:

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/t ... rowave-pressure-cooker-recipe-cards/

Their site also has some other microwave manuals listed at:

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooker-manual-library/

Search the page for 'microwave' as it's a long list.

I hope one of these resources helps you. Otherwise, you may search for your brand name, product name, and 'manual' - there seem to be manuals available online for lots of things.

Read More Answers...

Hey! Want to start cooking the 21st Century way, and leave all that 18th Century drudgery behind? Want a cleaner, cooler and sweat free kitchen? Want to cook with little or no fats or oils and less salt for a healthier life style? Want to cut down on your energy bills, and cook meals faster?

It's easy, buy a microwave cooker.

By Alan B Steele from The Potteries, UK

Editor's Note: What are your favorite ways to cook with your microwave? Tell us how it has made your life easier.

Could you start a section on microwave cooking? I am trying to conserve on my utilities, and I live alone, so I thought that cooking with my microwave would be a thrifty idea. Thank-you, Delinda Editor's Note: Sounds like a good idea. We have added a Microwave Cooking category to the recipes section, and a guide to collect all the tips together. We also have several guides with microwave recipes. If anyone has any tips or recipes, feel free to post them below or submit them using the Share option at the top of the page.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is there a way I can cook dinner rolls in the microwave?

Read More Answers...

I am looking for a recipe book for my microwave pressure cooker.

By Hazel from Blackpool, England

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To determine whether or not a dish is microwave safe, put 1 cup water into a glass measuring cup. Place the measuring cup in the microwave in the dish being tested. Then microwave at high for 1 minute. If the dish being tested is warm and the water cool, the dish is unsafe.

By Robin

• Soften brown sugar: place apple slice in bag, close tightly with string or scotch tape, microwave on high about 15 seconds.

• Toasting coconut: place coconut in 9 inch glass pie plate, microwave on high for 4 minutes, tossing with fork after each minute.

• Plump raisins: place in safe bowl, add 2 tsp. of water, cover with plastic wrap microwave on high for 30 seconds.

• Warm syrup for pancakes: remove cover if in plastic or glass container, microwave on high for about 30 seconds.

By LRP from Lowell, MA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are traits unique to microwave cooking that affect how evenly and safely food is cooked. "Cold spots" can occur because of the irregular way the microwaves enter the oven and are absorbed by the food. If food does not cook evenly, bacteria may survive and cause foodborne illness. Simple techniques ensure that meat and poultry microwave safely.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I recently received a 10 cup microwave pressure cooker and I need to find some recipes to use it, preferably to make dinners more than for desserts.

By Misty from Englewood, FL

Answers:

Recipes for Microwave Pressure Cooker

There is a recipe book for a 10 cup microwave pressure cooker made by NordicWare. I got one a few years ago and although it wasn't listed on their website catalog they sent me one for about $3 plus shipping.
Good luck!
(12/18/2010)

By ale1253

Recipes for Microwave Pressure Cooker

Adding on, Recipelink.com has microwave pressure cooker recipes. A search of "Tender Cooker" (the name of the NordicWare model) comes up with several good ones; things like roast pork with sauerkraut. If you're concerned about any difference in the two brands, try something inexpensive like a bean recipe. Since they are the same size, I don't think there will be any problems! (12/18/2010)

By ale1253

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a MicroMaster microwave pressure cooker. Unfortunately, the recipe brochure that came with it is pretty spartan. Would anyone have other recipe ideas for this cooker? I'd sure like to start using it soon. Thanks so much.

Mandy C.

By Mandy from Bethel Park, PA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Microwave CookingJanuary 29, 2013
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Microwave
Using Plastic in the Microwave
Potatoes on a plate in the microwave.
Cooking a Potato in the Microwave
Cooking bacon in microwave.
Cooking Bacon in the Microwave
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 25, 2016 at 3:28:45 PM on 10.0.0.64 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.