Using Plastic in the Microwave

A hand pulling the handle on a microwave oven.
When using plastic containers or wrap in the microwave you want to make sure that the plastic is safe for that use. This guide is about using plastic in a microwave.

Microwaving potatoes in a plastic bag. How can this be safe?

I recently was told by a relative that she places a scrubbed and washed whole potato in a plastic grocery bag and ties it shut. She then sticks it in the microwave and the potatoes come out wonderfully moist, not wrinkled and dried up. Fine and dandy, but what about the chemicals leeching into the spud?

So, my concern is, how is that safe? Plastic grocery bags are not meant to be microwaved!

Does anybody have any comments or concerns like myself?

Twinsand2more from ND

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

I know that you can buy single baking potatoes/sweet potatoes wrapped in plastic with instructions to cook with wrap on in the microwave.

Best Answer

I made fabric pouches to bake my potatoes in. They are just big enough for one potatoe, but you can make them bigger for more. Sew two pieces of flannel together leaving an opening on one end to put the potatoe in after you wash it and pierce it. Comes out nice and moist.

Best Answer

Plastic wrap is the one that was first proven to leach chemicals in the condensation dripping into a dish of food. Wax paper puts paraffin wax into the food. So I use nothing on my potatoes in the microwave.

I decided that I really like the flavor of a potato that was BAKED in the oven and that the microwave only gives a boiled flavor. So I start them in the microwave until they are most of the way done and quite hot, then finish them for a few minutes in the oven for that toasty taste. Worth the extra minutes! I can tell which method was used whenever I have a restaurant potato. Wish you the best with feeding your family!

Best Answer

Years ago a friend told me about buying brown paper lunch bags to micro/bake potatoes. I scrub the potatoes, prick several times with a fork, rub a bit of butter or oil all over then place it in the paper bag. I then fold down the top and it`s ready to micro/bake. They always turn out well.

My daughter melted a black plastic cup in the microwave and now the inside is stained black. Any ideas on how to remove this, before my husband goes nuts?

By Sherry B.

Anonymous

Try using a paste made of baking soda and water and scrub with a plastic sponge scrubber. Just my opinion but as long as the plastic itself is gone what difference does it make if there's a stain inside of a microwave?

Can I use the plastic lids that come with CorningWare casseroles in the microwave?

By Pat