Tiny Holes Appearing in T-shirts After Washing

I've noticed that when I wash my tee-shirts (which were new) I have tiny holes in them, not just one, but a lot of them. What am I doing wrong?

Patty from Hyattsville, MD

I have been having the same problem for about a year and it has driven me crazy. I'll wear a new t-shirt for a few hours and it has all these holes around the waist. I finally discovered it was caused by the waistband of my pants where it buttons or snaps there is a little part that sticks out and at the point it is sharp. If you notice after an hour or so there will be little white spots and a few hours later there are holes. They are only at that spot. I tried switching from jeans to a more casual pant and they all do it. I'm wondering if it because all the newer fabrics have a stretch in them and maybe the threads are sharper?

I have been reading on these posts about granite countertops and rubbing the shirt between your jeans button and the counter. My problem is not in the kitchen, but in the bathroom. I realized that when I put my makeup on in the morning, I am leaning way over to get close to the mirror. My tee shirts are pulled tight and rubbed against the side of the counter top! I'll try to be aware of this from now on to alleviate the problem because, like everyone else, this is making me crazy irritated!

I am having this same problem. I have read on this site that car seat belts may be causing this, but is your son old enough to drive? also, I noticed it happened to one of my undershirts, which is unlikely to be exposed to the seat belt of my car. But, I am having the same problem and it only happens to my shirts, not my wife or kids. I drive a Cadillac CTS 2010. Let me know if this helps or if you have other information.

Close up of a small hole in a grey t-shirt
Tiny Holes In Clothing
Home and Garden Repair ClothingDecember 17, 2005
Drilling Holes in Glass
Drilling Holes in Glass
Filling Holes in Cabinet Doors
Filling Holes in Cabinet Doors
Pressure Washing a House
Pressure Washing Your House
Closeup of African American Man with Dreadlocks
Washing Dreadlocks