Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Scratch Resistant Coating Peeling Off Lenses

How can I clean and remove the color coating and anti-scratch clear coat from my eyeglasses? Right now the coating is peeling off. It is so bad that I have difficulty seeing through the lenses.

By Nelson from Puerto Rico

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Tlcm62312/19/2013

Somewhere online I read that sunscreen worked because of the aluminum hydroxide. Well I was fresh out of sunblock but I DID remember that deodorant has some type of aluminum in it ( i now know it is aluminum chlorohydrate). So I used "Suave 24 hr protection" solid stick, which by the way lists it's aluminum chlorohydrate content at 20%. I'm sure any solid will work. I rubbed a little chunk onto each lense with a cotton cosmetic pad and the coating came off nicely after about 5 min of circular rubbing with medium to firm pressure. My glasses are saved! Wanted to toss them for a few yrs now but just cant afford new glasses and now I'm good :-) .....hope this helps someone else out there!

By Dude [1]02/16/2012

+1,000,000 for Armour Etch!
My glasses (polycarbonate lenses with anti-glare coating, no other coatings) were ruined when I got brake cleaner on them. They looked like they had tiny scratches and dots all over the lenses (like shiny spiderwebs), to the point that I couldn't drive at night with them. I found out about ARMOUR ETCH, printed out a 50% off coupon, and went to Michael's craft store for a 3oz bottle - $6.50 total.

After removing the lenses from the frame, put a nice thick layer on both sides of each lens (just gently dab with a q-tip, the goo is abrasive, don't rub and scratch your lenses). It took 2 times at 5 minutes each. I don't see why you couldn't leave it on for an hour or more. After washing them off, they are like new, other than a couple deep scratches. This will not magically get rid of deep scratches. It only gets rid of the scratched/crazed coating on the surface.

By Fred12/13/2010

Final product. Great condition.

RE: Scratch Resistant Coating Peeling Off Lenses

By Fred12/13/2010

Back of container.

By Fred12/13/2010

Bleche-Wite tire cleaner.

By Fred12/13/2010

Bleche-Wite tire cleaner.

By Fred12/13/2010

Before condition of lens. Microscopic photo in red lighting.

By Fred12/13/2010

Dislodged coating from one lens hanging off finger.

By Fred12/13/2010

Soaking outer side of lense in ceramic bowl for about an hour.

By Fred12/13/2010

I successfully removed the coating from my glasses. They are hi-index plastic. I don't know what kind of coating it was. I read that tire cleaner containing hydrofluric acid was successfully used on plastic lenses. I grabbed an old bottle of tire cleaner having sodium metasilicate and sodium orthosilicate and put just a couple mililiters of it in a small ceramic bowl and submerged just the outer lense in the solution for about an hour. The coating dissolved completely. I just rinsed it off and it was like new (except for scratches that had gone all the way into the plastic substrate). they look beautiful and I will get another year of use out of the lenses. Before microscopic picture of damaged coating is shown in red lighting. Green dish with lense half submerged in solution. Dislodged lense coating hanging from my gloved finger. Final condition of glasses. Only real damage to lenses is on one where I used my fingernail to try and remove the coating.

By Melanie Jackson [1]09/06/2010

Did you get the glasses from Wal-Mart? (I'm assuming they have stores in PR.) Their glasses are notorious for doing this. If you have the receipt from when you got them, and they're still under the guarantee period, just take them back to the store. They'll have to replace the lenses for you.

If you didn't get them from Wal-Mart, check the policy for the place that did make the glasses. They might have a similar policy.

Good luck!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Scratch Resistant Coating Peeling Off Lenses

My glasses have the scratch resistant coating on them which has slowly been peeling, along the outer edges of the lenses, kind of like a double ring outline, and along the center of the right lens.

I took the glasses in to the store where I bought the lenses and have yet to hear back as to whether or not the company will repair at no cost. I just purchased the lenses back in May. The optician did mention that if the company didn't warrant the repair she could fix the lenses at a cost of $40.00. This is disgusting and unethical in my opinion.

In the meantime, I've tried the toothpaste and acetone methods suggested to no success. Any other suggestions to get this coating removed from my lenses? Can you imagine how tacky my Chanel glasses look with this nasty ring around my lens and down the center? Thanks for the feedback.

By Bonnie from TC, MI

Do not pay anything for the repair. They can get you another pair free from the company that made them. Take them back where you got them. Tell them the above. Good luck. (10/30/2009)

By kffrmw88

If you don't get a satisfactory resolution, complain to the BBB and even your state attorney generals office. I got a new pair of frames when mine couldn't keep the lenses in, no charge. (10/31/2009)

By desertgal

A reputable optometrist will offer at a minimum, a year's warranty on any frame/lens they sell. You may have to switch to another company for your next pair. As mentioned, check with the BBB to see if you have any recourse. (01/06/2010)

By kleask

***

*** I've just read almost every article on this site for repairing scratches on eyeglasses, and can't find one problem that sounds like mine. I'm hoping someone has an answer.

I have plastic lenses, and I don't remember what type of coating or covering was put on them. Knowing me, I went for the full gambit!

The problem is, only the left lens is peeling all around the edge of the lens, and of course in a complete circle. I have a few small circular spots peeling on the bottom and middle of the left lens too, which makes it difficult to see. The right lens is perfectly fine. Keep in mind I've only cleaned them under running water and nothing else.

Is this the coating or something else coming off or wearing thin? I can't feel anything raised on the lens itself, and therefore can't tell whether it is peeling on the inside or outside. It seems to be built into the lens itself.

Will the Armour Etch work to correct it and remove whatever this is from my left lens, or should I try the Lemon Pledge, or ?. I'm not in the best place right now to afford a new pair of glasses, and would love to know if one of these will work for mine. Thank you for any help you can provide!

By Pam JRS from Prescott, AZ

FYI: What you wash your lenses with, I've found, is not nearly as important as what you wipe them with. I was scratching and ruining my coating whenever I used Kleenexs or anything other than microfiber towels which I bought in abundance and wash regularly. Now I don't have the problem. Good luck. (07/24/2010)

By yoder178