Scratch Resistant Coating Peeling Off Lenses

How can I clean and remove the color coating and anti-scratch clear coat from my eyeglasses? Right now the coating is peeling off. It is so bad that I have difficulty seeing through the lenses.

By Nelson from Puerto Rico

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

Did you get the glasses from Wal-Mart? (I'm assuming they have stores in PR.) Their glasses are notorious for doing this. If you have the receipt from when you got them, and they're still under the guarantee period, just take them back to the store. They'll have to replace the lenses for you.

If you didn't get them from Wal-Mart, check the policy for the place that did make the glasses. They might have a similar policy.

Good luck!

Yes I did get them from Wal- Mart! Never again. Went back ans was told that they could not do anything. they are pathetic will never go again. Trying to get glasses now but cant afford them. Trying to do something until I can afford the 340 dollars

Best Answer

I successfully removed the coating from my glasses. They are hi-index plastic. I don't know what kind of coating it was.

I read that tire cleaner containing hydrofluric acid was successfully used on plastic lenses. I grabbed an old bottle of tire cleaner having sodium metasilicate and sodium orthosilicate and put just a couple mililiters of it in a small ceramic bowl and submerged just the outer lense in the solution for about an hour. The coating dissolved completely.

I just rinsed it off and it was like new (except for scratches that had gone all the way into the plastic substrate). They look beautiful and I will get another year of use out of the lenses.

You can see my photos in posts below. Before microscopic picture of damaged coating is shown in red lighting. Green dish with lense half submerged in solution. Dislodged lense coating hanging from my gloved finger. Final condition of glasses. Only real damage to lenses is on one where I used my fingernail to try and remove the coating.

Fred you rock!!! I have a 9 diopter lense the lenses cost $350 US only lasted 1.5 years

Best Answer

Soaking outer side of lense in ceramic bowl for about an hour.

Best Answer

Dislodged coating from one lens hanging off finger.

Best Answer

Before condition of lens. Microscopic photo in red lighting.

Best Answer

Bleche-Wite tire cleaner.

Best Answer

Back of container.

Best Answer

Final product. Great condition.

I tried this using the Tire Cleaner and it worked just as stated

Thanks

Best Answer

+1,000,000 for Armour Etch!

My glasses (polycarbonate lenses with anti-glare coating, no other coatings) were ruined when I got brake cleaner on them. They looked like they had tiny scratches and dots all over the lenses (like shiny spiderwebs), to the point that I couldn't drive at night with them. I found out about ARMOUR ETCH, printed out a 50% off coupon, and went to Michael's craft store for a 3oz bottle - $6.50 total.

After removing the lenses from the frame, put a nice thick layer on both sides of each lens (just gently dab with a q-tip, the goo is abrasive, don't rub and scratch your lenses). It took 2 times at 5 minutes each. I don't see why you couldn't leave it on for an hour or more. After washing them off, they are like new, other than a couple deep scratches. This will not magically get rid of deep scratches. It only gets rid of the scratched/crazed coating on the surface.

Best Answer

I took Fred's advice and tried my deodorant which is Right Guard and it contains Aluminum Chlorohydrate 8.2%, I sprayed it right on the lens and rubed it in for about 3 minutes on each lens and the coating came off. So there you have it. Thank you

Somewhere online I read that sunscreen worked because of the aluminum hydroxide. Well I was fresh out of sunblock but I DID remember that deodorant has some type of aluminum in it ( i now know it is aluminum chlorohydrate). So I used "Suave 24 hr protection" solid stick, which by the way lists it's aluminum chlorohydrate content at 20%. I'm sure any solid will work. I rubbed a little chunk onto each lense with a cotton cosmetic pad and the coating came off nicely after about 5 min of circular rubbing with medium to firm pressure. My glasses are saved! Wanted to toss them for a few yrs now but just cant afford new glasses and now I'm good :-) .....hope this helps someone else out there!

This worked for me too!

Home and Garden Repair Other Eye GlassesSeptember 5, 2010
Freezing Bell Peppers, Canning Bell Peppers, Peeling Bell Peppers, Drying Bell Peppers, Storing Bell Peppers, Growing Bell Peppers, Selecting Good Bell Peppers, Red, Green and Yellow Bell Peppers
Peeling Bell Peppers
Someone peeling a a peach.
Peeling Peaches
Woman Wearing Eyeglasses
Making Eyeglasses Scratch Resistant
Slice of cantaloupe with other cantaloupes in the background.
Peeling and Slicing Melon
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 20, 2017 at 3:07:30 AM on 10.0.0.245 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.