Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Burnt Plastic Smell in Dishwasher

A plastic cup fell onto the heater coil on my dishwasher while it was in the drying cycle and I can't seem to get the smell to disappear now. Any ideas?

Marie from Longview, WA

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Janet (Guest Post)03/04/2008

It will smell until all the plastic residue burns off. The more you use the dishwasher, the sooner the smell will go away.

By Carol in PA (Guest Post)03/04/2008

If you are still using the drying coil during the drying cycle, it will reheat the burned on plastic and make it smell all over again. I'd quit using the dry cycle and let them air dry like everyone I know does.

By LuvMyGingerKids [45]03/04/2008

That happened to us too. It took several washes, but the smell finally came out.

Try running the dishwasher with baking soda in the detergent compartment a few times. Be sure to add an extra rinse.

If this doesn't do the trick, run the dishwasher (no dishes) with bleach in the detergent compartment. Add a few extra rinses (bleach mixed with other chemicals can cause toxic fumes, so you want to get all the remnants of the bleach out)

Rest assurred, however, the smell did finally disappear from my dishwasher, just by doing regular washes.