Removing Burnt Plastic Smell in Dishwasher - Categories:

OdorsCleaning

Removing Burnt Plastic Smell in Dishwasher

A plastic cup fell onto the heater coil on my dishwasher while it was in the drying cycle and I can't seem to get the smell to disappear now. Any ideas?

Marie from Longview, WA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

That happened to us too. It took several washes, but the smell finally came out.

Try running the dishwasher with baking soda in the detergent compartment a few times. Be sure to add an extra rinse.

If this doesn't do the trick, run the dishwasher (no dishes) with bleach in the detergent compartment. Add a few extra rinses (bleach mixed with other chemicals can cause toxic fumes, so you want to get all the remnants of the bleach out)

Rest assurred, however, the smell did finally disappear from my dishwasher, just by doing regular washes.

If you are still using the drying coil during the drying cycle, it will reheat the burned on plastic and make it smell all over again. I'd quit using the dry cycle and let them air dry like everyone I know does.

It will smell until all the plastic residue burns off. The more you use the dishwasher, the sooner the smell will go away.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsMarch 4, 2008
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
An open dishwasher full of clean dishes.
Fixing a Leaking Dishwasher
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Fixing Burnt Sausage
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 8:54:33 AM on 10.0.1.210 in 856 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.