Getting Samples for an Interior Design Project

I'm majoring in Interior Design and need some materials for a project I'm doing. I am looking for free samples of textiles, samples of wood flooring, shading, and fabrics. Does anyone know how I can get samples? Thanks guys!

By Melissa from Howell, NJ

Call the fabric stores for samples & call Lowe's or a home improvement store for the wood samples,good luck.

I would call interior design offices. Explain you are a student and just need some scrap samples. I bet you'll find they'll be happy to share with you. If they don't have everything need call other design firms until you get everything. Trust me, they have tons of that stuff. My sister was an interior designer for 30 yrs. Good luck!

Home Depot for everything you named except the fabric. I'd check out one of the larger fabric and sewing notions stores for that, and if you don't find all your want regarding carpeting at Home Depot. Visit a large carpet and floor covering store in your area. If you have a Miller's Paint Store in your area, do visit them too.

Home Depot will have samples of almost all the paints, stains, varnishes and large pictures of sample rooms on heavy card stock to inspire you. They have all the laminates and faux wood floor covering too as well as marble, granite, floor and ceramic bathroom and kitchen tiles etc. It's always a nice place to visit and get inspiration anytime.

I know at one time they carried wall-paper as well and maybe some of the Home Depots still do. If you don't have a Home Depot, find a nice wall-covering store which may include all the paint you'd want as well as matching drapery fabrics.

Many hardware stores carry many of the items you mentioned, and so do the lumber yards. You have places all around you from which to draw from, so visit them all.

Good Luck with your project, Julia in Boca Raton, FL

Consumer Advice General AdviceFebruary 24, 2010
An office with modern interior design.
Brand Name Ideas for Interior Design Products
Living room with nice interior design.
Name Ideas for Interior Design Businesses
beautifully designed kitchen
Starting an Interior Design Business
Paint Cans with Color Spectrum and Brushes
Saving Money on Paint (Interior)
🎄