Remedies for Whiteheads

This is a guide about remedy for whiteheads. Comedones, also know as whiteheads, are caused by blockages under the surface of the skin. This page has remedies for whiteheads.

I have a lot of white heads on my cheek. Can someone please help me?

Martha

This is a remedy for pimples I read from a "glamour" magazine at least 40 years ago [am 57 now]. The article contained conversations with the top models at that time and their remedies for clear skin. Two methods of clearing up pimples have stuck with me all these years, and I would like to pass them along to you. They are positively. absolutely foolproof, or 40 years later I still would not be using them and passing along this tip to my friends. Two simple ingredients that I am sure you already have in your cupboards - corn starch or toothpaste [whichever one you prefer...personally I strictly have used the corn starch]. Wash face well and dry before bedtime. Dot the pimple with alcohol followed by a heavy dot of dry corn starch on the pimple. If you find some has flaked off before bed, add another heavy dot. If you are at home and don't intend to leave the house, keep dotting the pimple the corn starch. But, I guarantee your problem will have disapeared overnight, if not entirely, at least it will be hardly noticeable. The same method is used with toothpaste, but I rarely used that technique, so don't hold me accountable for the results. Good Luck with this cheap homemade remedy that 40 years later has still proven effective and foolproof for me! LuannD

I use a face soap called Panoxyl. You can buy it at the drugstore. it was recommended to me by a dermatologist and I've used it for years. I love it!

I went to a dermotologist about all the bumpy whiteheads on my face and chest and even had one under an eyebrow recently. He told me they were called "milia" and there is not much you can do about them. Mine always eventually get hard and roll out by themselves. But new ones are always forming. I have had oily skin with large pores my whole life and I would imagine that causes me to have more milias than most.

What I did when I was a teenager was got my hands wet and got a hand full of sugar, regular sugar you have in your kitchen, got that wet as well, and rubbed in all over my face. It works off all the old dead skin that in sitting on the surface. Also for stubborn zits putting Arm n Hammer toothpaste on in, just a dab and washing it off after about 5-8 mins.

Calamine lotion works great.

I have whiteheads on my nose, chin, and forehead. Are there any products that I can try to get rid of them? School is coming soon and I want to come in acne free. Please help me!

By Ashley L.

The whiteheads are clogged pores, and a light scrub should help. You can add sugar (which is a natural exfoliant) to your regular liquid cleanser. The sugar won't dissolve until it hits water, so dampen your face with warm water first, then gently scrub with your sugar/cleanser mix, rinse well. Be sure not to use a cleanser that is overly drying, your face will react by producing more oil!

I myself have used a facial scrub all of my life and I am 68 years old and never had a problem with blackheads, whiteheads or any other kind of breakout. It seems to scrape off the old skin and it has always kept my face clear and now I don't seem to have wrinkles so that has been a life saver to me. I use apricot scrub mixed with a small amount of water and do a round motion on your face. Just be easy with it and good luck with school! Nikki

I have a lot of white heads on my cheek near my nose. Can someone please help me?

By Almas

You have to buy a comedone extractor at the drugstore. It's near make-up. You use the extractor to remove them then go over the area after with isopropyl alcohol. You'll be red for a while, then exfoliate your skin with a scrub once every 3 days to prevent their return. They are just pimples. : )

Have you tried using lemon juice on them regularly. I've used the bottled lemon.

Can someone please tell me what "Duac" is? It's listed on Thriftyfun as a cure for whiteheads. Here's what the person on Thriftyfun wrote-

Whitehead Remedy?

"Just get Duac once daily cream. It's working wonders for me. I had loads of little ones on my cheeks, chin, and forehead and most of my spots have gone. I have only been using it for a week and I am pleased with my results so far. (11/02/2007)

The person who posted this didn't leave a name, so I can't email them.

Does anyone know the answer?
Thanks so much!

By metroplex from Houston, TX

Do a google search for 'duac cream' and you will get your answers. I just did it and will read them later.

Your dermatologist can give you a prescription for duac, I use it and it's helped me.

What can I do regarding clogged whiteheads on my chin?

By Anne

Anonymous

It's best to see a dermatologist and ask them if they are indeed whiteheads and what to do to clean them up and keep them from reoccurring.

By Anne

Answers:

Getting Rid of Whiteheads

They may not be whiteheads. They may be little fat deposits. If they are truly very white then that is what they probably are, better not touch them until your doctor has diagnosed which they are. They won't go away like a white head and have to be treated differently. (03/09/2009)

By quiltmum

Getting Rid of Whiteheads

I really recommend proactiv. I am 25 and have a horrible acne problem around my period- proactiv really seems to cut down on my white and black heads. (03/09/2009)

By vcphillips

Getting Rid of Whiteheads

If they are under the skin they are probably calcium deposits, talk to your doctor (03/11/2009)

By PICO

Getting Rid of Whiteheads

Could be a virus called Molluscum as well. If they are really hard, she may have to open the skin with a disinfected needle to remove them. My son had a molluscum infection that he got from a friend and it stuck around until he got a cold, at which point his immune system got rid of it. I actually got some on my eyelids that my opthamologist scraped off for me. Very irritating. Another treatment for molluscum is to freeze them off, but this is best done by a doctor. Get a correct diagnosis before proceeding.

Whiteheads can be from a diet lacking in citrus/vitamin C or poor skin care. Have your daughter use a mild cleanser (non drying) twice a day, and a clay based mask one to two times a week to exfoliate the skin. Be sure to use a balancing moisturizer for her skin type. Treating irritated spots with Tea Tree oil can help dry them out too. Or sleep with a spot of the clay mask on the spot if they are more isolated. (06/26/2009)

By shaunagirl

Help. Since having my baby a year ago, my chest has become covered with trapped under the skin whiteheads. Does anyone know of a make your own remedy to loosen, remove these pesky things?
Samantha in NC

Answers:

Whitehead Remedy?

As a baby I had whiteheads all over me. My mom would patiently prick a tiny hole into the skin above the whitehead, using a very sharp, sterilized needle and then ease the whitehead out of the skin pocket. I would highly recommend hydrogen peroxide before and after this procedure and use a lighter or match to sterilize the needle. Of course, at minimum a phone call to a dermatologist or your family physician would be a good idea, too. (08/20/2004)

By Guest Fan of ThriftyFun

Whitehead Remedy?

Although this mostly mentions blackheads, the info states that, "The counter part of the blackhead is the whitehead," so I assume the beauty recipes work for whiteheads as well as blackheads. From Pakwatan.com:

Blackheads are so common, yet many of us do not know what they are. We know even less about dealing with them. However, they can be controlled and even prevented by taking regular care of the skin.

Blackheads are caused by over active sebaceous glands (the oil producing glands of the skin). The excess secretion of oil expands and thickens the pores of the skin. The oil collects in the pores and hardens into a plug. The pores are then clogged with hardened sebum or oil. Since the pores are open, the tip of the clogged grease is exposed to the air and oxidises, turning black. Hence, blackheads are formed.

Oily skins naturally tend to attract dirt and grime from the environment and these pollutants also collect in the pores with hardened oil. Blackheads cause the pores to be further enlarged and people with oily skins end up with a skin texture that is coarse and trough. Apart from the fact that blackheads look unsightly, they are the cause of acne. When a pore is fully blocked, the oil gland can get infected resulting into a pimple. Therefore, the control of blackheads is one way of preventing acne.

Blackheads not only appear on the face, but on the back, chest, and other areas that are rich in sebaceous glands.

Blackhead extraction is a professional job and it should be left to people who know exactly know how to do it. Never pick at them. Tampering with the skin by forcing blackheads out brutally can damage the skin tissue by destroying the inner layer. The counter part of the blackhead is the whitehead, which is also caused by collection of sebum in the pores, but in this case the pores are not open and the sebum is not exposed to the air.

Effective methods for removing Blackheads:

It is most important to keep the skin scrupulously clean.

• Use an oatmeal or almond mask thoroughly to cleanse your face. Mix either oatmeal or almond powder with enough rose water to make a soft paste that spreads easily on the skin. Rub it on your skin with your fingertips, paying special attention the problem areas. Leave to dry for about 15 minutes and then rinse off with cold water.

• Apply undiluted lemon juice, two to three times a day, on the affected areas.

• A solution made out of one and a half cups of hot water and half a tablespoon of boric powder is an ideal concoction for blackheads. Saturate a face napkin in this hot solution and press on to the skin, repeat twice. Extract blackheads carefully with a blackhead remover and sterilized cotton wool. Pat on an astringent.

• Warm a little honey and apply on the trouble spots. Wash off after 10-15 minutes.

Try out these home remedies for cleaning out your blackheads yourself or get in touch with a qualified beautician.

http://www.pakwatan.com/main/fashion/skinprob/index.php3

(08/21/2004)

By FlaKathy

Whitehead Remedy?

You may want to try some of the following homemade concoctions:

• Mix cornstarch with vinegar, plaster on the area for 15-30 minutes; wash off with washcloth and warm water.

• To help dry out your acne without drying out your face, put a thin layer of Phillips Milk of Magnesia over your face.

• Application of fresh mint juice over face every night cures pimples and prevents dryness of the skin.

• Mix equal amounts of lemon juice and rose water. Apply on face and keep for 1/2 hour. 3 to 4 weeks of this application helps cure pimples and also removes blemishes and scars.

• Use 2-3 tsp. dried basil leaves to 1 cup boiling water. Steep 10-20 minutes. Cool, and apply with cotton ball.

• Rub the seed of date (Khajoor) in a few drops of vinegar and make a thin paste. Apply over the pimples and let it remain till 2-3 hours. Preferably applied at bedtime.

• The paste of cumin seeds (jira) applied over pimple gives relief.

• The paste of nutmeg (jaiphala) made with milk can be applied over the pimple.

• Orange peel pounded well with water. Applied to affected acne areas.

• Cucumber leaves or grated pieces. Apply to effected acne area.

• Rub the pimple (acne) with a fresh cut clove of garlic.

• Drink at least 1 litre of water a day to impart a healthy glow to the skin

• Clove based face mask or a paste of Fenugreek (Methi) leaves applied overnight on acne and washed off next morning

Almond Meal Deep Pore Cleanser

• 2 tbsp. almond meal
  • distilled witch hazel

Add just enough witch hazel to the almond meal to form a thick, spreadable paste.

Almond-Oatmeal Washing Bag

• 1 small cake castile soap
  • 1 3/4 cup ground oatmeal
  • 2 tbsp. almond meal
  • 2 tbsp. ground orris root

Grate soap, combine and mix well with other ingredients. Put into a double cheesecloth bag. Use in place of soap and a washcloth.

Blackhead Remover Mask

• 1/2 cup fuller's earth
  • 1 tsp. tincture of benzoin
  • distilled witch hazel

Make an easy-to-spread paste by adding just enough witch hazel to fuller's earth. Add benzoin and stir thoroughly. Open your facial pores by steaming with a cloth wrung out with hot water. Let mask dry and harden, about 30-40 minutes. To remove, dip cloth in water, as hot as you can stand, and place on mask for a few seconds; then wipe off with a gentle rubbing motion. Rinse with warm water. Then with cool water.

Note: This mask takes about an hour and talking will be impossible. So you may prefer to ignore your doorbell and put on your answering machine.

Hope something helps!
(08/21/2004)

By FlaKathy

Whitehead Remedy?

When I worked in a male prison for 20 years the usual inmate treatment was toothpaste. That's right! Before bedtime they would scrub their faces and apply the white toothpaste to their pimples. I mentioned it to my youngest son one day when he said he was having trouble with a few zits. He tried it and said it burned, but woke up and the pimples were gone. He also said it only worked with the old fashioned white stuff. (01/16/2007)

By Toni

Whitehead Remedy?

Antibacterial cream will heal the condition quickly and prevent scarring. You can buy it over the counter at the drugstore. Ask your pharmacist. This works great for me and I've had some pretty interesting skin infections that are so often mistaken for regular acne/whiteheads. I suggest for anyone who may not be aware of that to read up on skin infections so you can identify the difference if it occurs. (02/04/2007)

By kgurrl

Whitehead Remedy?

Use witch hazel astringent you can get it at Walmart for cheap, on the bottle it says temporarily reduces swelling for minor cuts and bruising, but I use it for my face or anywhere acne comes up. After just the first time you apply it, it makes your skin feel clean and soft! Use a cotton ball. It also tones you skin, it smells a little bit like fermented raisins, but the smell disappears on your skin. It is awesome! (07/10/2007)

By TOOFANY

Whitehead Remedy?

Just get Duac once daily cream. It's working wonders for me. I had loads of little ones on my cheeks, chin, and forehead and most of my spots have gone. I have only been using it for a week and I am pleased with my results so far. (11/02/2007)

Whitehead Remedy?

Use Bacitracin, it is staph build up. It works immediately. (11/16/2007)

By NaTasha

Whitehead Remedy?

Outside of prescribed topical treatments from a dermatologist (Tazorac .1%or .05% being the most effective thing I have tried), if OTC benzyl peroxide or salycilic acid products do not work, try a sulfur-based spot treatment. I highly recommend Murad's Acne Spot Treatment over any of the other sulfur-based remedies. His formula is gel-like and doesn't leave a white spot or cake-y residue like others I have tried. Make sure you don't apply this to open sores or wounds (sulfur will only exacerbate open skin), but clean, dry skin only. You can apply this treatment a few times a day to help speed up the process. It's not a vanishing cream, but a treatment, so be patient. It may take a 2-3 days before the blemish subsides, but as long as you're religious and don't pick, it will work! This is also an effective treatment for drying up blackheads. (01/04/2008)

Whitehead Remedy?

My doctor prescribed me clyndamycin. It is a little harsh on the skin at first and my cause some dryness, but he also prescribed Retin A to use after that. I use Retin A every night and a sunscreen every day. My skin has been clear for years and my skin has dramatically improved because of Retin A and sunscreen. I still get a few whiteheads in the crease of my chin and nose. They are a pain, but those Biore strips work pretty well, too. Wear sunscreen and use Retin A. (02/13/2008)

By Erica

Whitehead Remedy?

Putting egg white on pimples and white heads helps to dry them up. Then they go away. (07/21/2008)

By Julie D

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.