Tankless Water Heat Advice

Anyone have an opinion about getting a tankless water heater as opposed to using an oil burner tank for all hot water?

Marie from MA

I know that there's a big price difference. The tankless water heater is very expensive.

I purchased a tankless water heater for my hair shop. Very disappointed. I ended up switching to a tank that I just shut off everyday to save money on electricity. Next time I am going to look into a solar heated tank I heard about...apparently it is placed outside in some sort of plexi-glass so that the greenhouse effect helps heat it (or something). I'm sure you could find out more info about this online.

We grew up with water being heated in the boiler (a similar system)and NEVER had enough hot water for more than one shower. My parents eventually rented a tank from the electric company.

From what you said, I am assuming you heat your water with your oil furnace. You must keep your furnace running some all summer to heat the water in your tank.

If you get a tankless water heater, you wont need to keep your furnace running all summer to heat the water. I understand tankless water heaters come in both gas and electric types.

Initially the tankless heater is more expensive, but because its more efficient and cheaper to run you save money in the end. Also, you get a tax break for buying this product as it is better for the environment. It uses less energy than a water heater that keeps the water hot all the time. This heater only heats it as you use it.

The US Governmental agency I checked with says to only turn your hot water tank off if you are going to be away for 3 days or more. Turning it off overnight isn't a good idea as it uses too much energy to reheat the water in the tank in the morning. I believe it was the Environmental Protection Agency, but you can check online like I did. Its at Pueblo, Colorado.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Major AppliancesFebruary 6, 2009
An orange cat in heat.
How Often Can a Cat be in Heat?
Hot coffee mug on wood table.
Removing Heat Marks from Furniture
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
Watering Flowers
Helping Your Garden Beat The Heat
🎄
🍂