Concerns About Lead Paint on Jewelry

While thinking about the fact that there is lead in brightly colored paints, and that other countries may not have our regulations about what is permissible and healthy, it occured to me that necklaces from other countries with brightly colored beads, cords and findings may not be safe. So the questions is, how much lead can be absorbed by contact with skin? Am I overthinking the situation? Today I saw a lovely necklace made in China with a jet black cord and a cinnabar bead that would set high up on the neck. Nicely priced at World Market, and the only one left on the display. But I didn't dare buy it.
Comments?

Holly from Richardson, TX

Why must we worry about such things? Why are so many products w/lead allowed in this country? Who's looking out for us?

I would say if you are in doubt, just don't buy the necklace or perhaps only wear it occasionally.

I think you did the right thing, Holly. Lead is a very,very dangerous thing for the body, especially the brain. Obviously those who should be keeping us safe are not doing a very good job, so it is up to us to do what we can to stay safe. Lead, as well as so many other things, can be taken in by the skin and should not have contact with it. At least that is what I have been told.

Consumer Advice General AdviceNovember 6, 2007
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Crystal Decanter
Using Lead Crystal
lead paint
Avoiding Lead In Your Home
Cleaning Jewelry
Cleaning Jewelry
🎉
🎄