Using Lead Crystal

The lead used in the making of lead crystal can be leached out by the contains in a decanter. This is a guide about using lead crystal.

I do a lot of crafts and had always been intimidated by bead work and jewelry making. I took a couple of classes at Michaels and now I'm hooked. I went online looking for less expensive supplies. There are many sites out there and along with the purchase of supplies, I got a lot of instructions for making items and very good information about beads and such. Swarovski (Austrian) crystals are gorgeous and shine brilliantly. But what makes them so dangerous is the very high lead content in them. I refuse to use them for that very reason. Semi-precious stones, gemstones, and even glass beads can be used to make very pretty items.

By Margaret from Denton, TX

I need some ideas for "safe" use of a beautiful lead crystal wine decanter, it also has the matching crystal stopper.

By Susan Johnson from MN

Answers

You can use Lead Crystal safely for anything you want. There is no unhealthy metallic lead involved, just lead oxide used instead of pot-ash soda in the manufacture of the glass. The lead oxide becomes a permanent part of the glass, when it is melted and produced, and can not be removed.

It would be much easier to remove an egg, that had been used in a cake dough, after baking, than to remove the
lead oxide from Lead Crystal.

Lead Crystal is the best glass there is, with the possible exception of the no longer made original Pyrex Boron Glass. Today's Chinese made Pyrex is just cheap soda glass. Lead Glass is perfectly safe.

You can tell the difference between Lead Crystal (actually Lead Glass) and lower quality crystal or glass by the fact
that Lead Glass rings, when tapped, whereas cheap glass just clangs.

Have FUN! DearWebby http://webby.com/humor

My sister has one of these decanters in her bathroom and she fills it with bubble bath! It looks really pretty...way cuter than a big plastic jug of bubble bath. Lol.

Like you, I've always heard that the lead leaches out into the wine (because of the wine's acidity), so you shouldn't keep wine in them too long. I'd have to do more research just to be comfortable about using it. It would be great if what DearWebby said is true.